Both eyes open when shooting?

The Russians did extensive research on this subject about forty years ago for their International Olympic Rifle team and the results of their research was that when the off eye was closed that up to 28% of visual acuity was LOST in the aiming eye!

FWIW!!

yobuck, honestly, it's a wash with the method I've come up with. the worst part is the spotter is an HD Swaro and the binos are Nikon Monarchs, so I would be lying if I said the binos were easier to look through. the spotter with both open just feels easier, no strain no stress, especially at 60x

So what your saying isnt really that the spotter is a problem, but that the hand
glasses are not up to the quality of the spotter.
And if you were to reverse the roll and use a top quality Nikon spotter and Swaro
hand glasses you might be surprised by the results.
Imagine if you can having one of those Swaro scopes for the other eye.
Talk about an eye opening experience. lol

yeah, I guess. I would say that even though the spotter is exceptional, I still notice greater comfort when spotting with both eyes open. I'll often even put a hood over my head to cut out wind and light so I can focus better on the image in the scope.

I shoot with both eyes open. I started doing that when I got into High Power shooting with open sights. When you close one eye, it causes the muscles in your face to strain the other eye. You really notice it more with open sights than with a scope. It is also easier to pick up a target when shouldering your weapon.

What I find when looking through a scope is both eyes work to find the target quickly and then when I focus through the scope, the other eye kind of goes dormant. I've been doing this for 20 years so I guess I have trained my brain to do it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.