Both eyes open when shooting?

forest

Hi Guys was looking more advice again. I am trying to make myself a better shooter I am good out to about 250-300yards. when I shoot I close one eye is this the proper way? I have heard you get better results with both eyes open is this true? I have tried this way but find it hard to get the hang of. Should I keep practicing ? When you guys hunt I would be interested to find what way you go about shooting. Should I always follow the same principles no matter what distance my target is at? any help at all appreciated.

I always keep both eyes open. For one you can see what's in front of you (safety wise) and for to you eliminate a lot of facial strain. If I find that I cannot get a solid sight picture I will pull a toque over my non-scope eye. This works for me, but everyone will be different. I also am a left eye dominant shooter that shoots right handed, hence the problem getting good sight picture sometimes.

So to answer your question, It is better to keep both eyes open. It has to be comfortable and give you good sight picture, otherwise make your own system that works for you.

I think that it partly depends on the relative strength of your dominant eye. My eyes are co-dominant. In other words when I do the dominant eye test (bringing outstretched finger in to see which eye it ends up in front of) I start to see 2 fingers and my finger ends up at my nose. If I try to keep both eyes open while shooting I get a really confusing picture.

Good thread here:Eye dominance...I'm all screwed up!!!!! - THR

I shoot with both eyes open. Better sight picture for safety and see different conditions. If you are looking at an object and pull up scope or binoculars it should be there. Here in the east where we hunt with deer drives it would be hard to find moving deer in a scope without. If you practice doing this it should get easier. I practiced with both eyes open and pulled a scoped gun up till I was there. I also do it with binoculars.When I do the dominate eye test I point at an object with both eyes open and close one eye at a time. When you close the dominate eye your finger will move off the object you are pointing at. The stronger eye focuses on the object when you point with both eyes open. This why I like to find which eye is dominate on a young shooter and start them out right. Matt

When I do the dominate eye test I point at an object with both eyes open and close one eye at a time. When you close the dominate eye your finger will move off the object you are pointing at. The stronger eye focuses on the object when you point with both eyes open. This why I like to find which eye is dominate on a young shooter and start them out right. Matt

Agreed, but if you are co-dominant and you do this test you see 2 fingers when you point to the object with both eyes open.

If you have a dominant eye, try shooting w/ both open.

I, too, am co-dominant. The first eye that picks up the target becomes the dominant eye. I tried shooting trap with both eyes open and got really messed up with what I was attempting to hit. I have to have one eye closed when shooting--I can shoot reasonably well with a rifle but trap or skeet is not so good since I can't pick up the clay fast enough.

I find both eyes open pretty easy now, not so much in the past. I started by putting a red dot on my 8mm mauser. It's really easy to learn both eyes open when you have a nice bright aiming point like that. I've slowly progressed to shooting that way with my higher powered rifles and scopes. Like a previous poster said, it really does reduce a lot of strain when you are not fighting to keep that eye closed tight. I actually cover my left eye when using the spotter and that allows me to spot for far longer than before.

I find both eyes open pretty easy now, not so much in the past. I started by putting a red dot on my 8mm mauser. It's really easy to learn both eyes open when you have a nice bright aiming point like that. I've slowly progressed to shooting that way with my higher powered rifles and scopes. Like a previous poster said, it really does reduce a lot of strain when you are not fighting to keep that eye closed tight. I actually cover my left eye when using the spotter and that allows me to spot for far longer than before.

Which brings up the question, can you see thru binnoculars with both eyes
better than you can see thru the spotter with one, or with one eye covered?

Hi Guys was looking more advice again. I am trying to make myself a better shooter I am good out to about 250-300yards. when I shoot I close one eye is this the proper way? I have heard you get better results with both eyes open is this true? I have tried this way but find it hard to get the hang of. Should I keep practicing ? When you guys hunt I would be interested to find what way you go about shooting. Should I always follow the same principles no matter what distance my target is at? any help at all appreciated.
The only advantage to keeping both eyes open is greater peripheral vision.

Personally once I'm focused in on my target and preparing to shoot I close my off eye as well because I don't need the mental confusion and it helps me to focus my attention.

I always keep both eyes open. For one you can see what's in front of you (safety wise) and for to you eliminate a lot of facial strain. If I find that I cannot get a solid sight picture I will pull a toque over my non-scope eye. This works for me, but everyone will be different. I also am a left eye dominant shooter that shoots right handed, hence the problem getting good sight picture sometimes.

So to answer your question, It is better to keep both eyes open. It has to be comfortable and give you good sight picture, otherwise make your own system that works for you.

someone has been watching american sniper :) lol

trust me you will shoot better with only one eye open :)

if you want to see 2 targets or 2 barrels then go ahed and take your guess which is the actual barrel or the actual target :) lol gun)see this smiley has his eye closed and he looks like he is a crack shot :)

When I spot with both eyes open, I cover the eye not in use with my hand but keep the eye wide open. if I close the off eye my face starts to hurt after just a bit. I also noticed that after an extended period with the off eye closed, when I open it I have to refocus and let the eye come back, it seems to be in black and white when first opened. It's like getting up from bed and flipping on a light, that closed eye has to instantly adjust to sunlight, not always very pleasant.

yobuck, honestly, it's a wash with the method I've come up with. the worst part is the spotter is an HD Swaro and the binos are Nikon Monarchs, so I would be lying if I said the binos were easier to look through. the spotter with both open just feels easier, no strain no stress, especially at 60x

I shoot with both eyes open but I squint my left eye slightly. I started using the technique while glassing through a spotter for several hours. Having one eye closed was giving me a head ache. if I am glassing into the sun I cover my left eye with my hand or hat but still keep it open. somewhere along the line I started shooting with booth eyes open and I didn't even know it until I thought about it while shoot one day. as it turns out I can shoot equally well with both eyes open or my left eye closed. Doesn't matter or change my point of impact. That being said...I am very right eye dominate. however I can look through a rifle scope or spotter with my left eye and keep my right eye open without issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.