• Only 1 eye

Votes: 88 39.8%
  • Both eyes

Votes: 86 38.9%
  • Depends on the situation

Votes: 51 23.1%

• Total voters

CB11WYO

So I only recently tried shooting with both eyes open and was wondering which technique you all used. Is one way more beneficial than the other and for what reasons? Are there anatomical benefits to shooting with both eyes versus one eye? Or is shooting with only the dominant eye open most effective? Does it differ depending on application? (ie. competition vs. hunting etc...)

Lets hear your thoughts and experiences!

Thanks!

I never really paid much attention to if I shoot both open, or one closed.

But I did notice in my last video, Day #11 Cold Bore Challenge, that I did shoot with both eyes open.

Sometimes both eyes closed :D

At least it seems that way after looking at the target.

being serious now. Both eyes open because that is how I was taught too long ago. I shoot right hand with a right hand rifle but I'm left eye dominant. Even when shooting pistols, I look thru the sights with my left eye.

This gets harder as I get older. I have tried to work from the other side and I have equal success that way but for me it just isn't right.

Last edited:
I shoot with both, If I only use 1 I get fatigued and image starts fading. Just a result of not conditioning my eye to be used to it.

I can do it either way fine, shoot either fine as well, but my preference is both open. I do it to relax my face and remove overall tension. When I do it correctly it feels really good to release that round.

I can do it either way fine, shoot either fine as well, but my preference is both open. I do it to relax my face and remove overall tension. When I do it correctly it feels really good to release that round.

The other day at the range I noticed what you are talking about. I thought about two eyes open bc of that and will try it next time at the range.

Interesting. I'm going to try both eyes open. I am so right eye dominant and right handed however that I'm sure I can shoot with both open with no adverse effect...

I'm right handed and left eyed. I can only shoot rifles and shotguns with one eye open if i shoot right handed. If I shoot left, which is rare I can shoot with both open. Shoot pistols with both open and shot with my left eye even if i shoot one handed right , left, or both.

It seems my grandson my be the same way. I've always wished someone would had encouraged me to shoot left when i was young, but now I'm still waiting to see what to do with him. He's only six.

Seems like Im alittle different then you guys. When Im shooting a shotgun, rifle, or pistol with open sights I shoot both eyes open but when Im behind a scope I shoot with just my right eye. If Im shooting a gun with a optic such as a EOtech I have caught myself doing it both ways depending on the situation.:rolleyes:

Handgun, carbine and shotgun I shoot one eye closed. The shots generally come quickly and the eye isn't closed long enough to result in fatigue.

Scoped Rifle both eyes open. As shots come slower I find it fatiguing to close an eye. As it it tenses my face.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts