Do you shoot with 1 or 2 eyes open?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by CB11WYO, May 9, 2013.

1. Only 1 eye

86 vote(s)
    39.8%
  2. Both eyes

83 vote(s)
    38.4%
  3. Depends on the situation

51 vote(s)
    23.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CB11WYO

CB11WYO Well-Known Member

So I only recently tried shooting with both eyes open and was wondering which technique you all used. Is one way more beneficial than the other and for what reasons? Are there anatomical benefits to shooting with both eyes versus one eye? Or is shooting with only the dominant eye open most effective? Does it differ depending on application? (ie. competition vs. hunting etc...)

Lets hear your thoughts and experiences!

Thanks!

2. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

Right or wrong one eye closed. Way too late to change now!

3. Clayne B

Clayne B Well-Known Member

I never really paid much attention to if I shoot both open, or one closed.

But I did notice in my last video, Day #11 Cold Bore Challenge, that I did shoot with both eyes open.

4. Wile E Coyote

Wile E Coyote Well-Known Member

Sometimes both eyes closed :D

At least it seems that way after looking at the target.

being serious now. Both eyes open because that is how I was taught too long ago. I shoot right hand with a right hand rifle but I'm left eye dominant. Even when shooting pistols, I look thru the sights with my left eye.

This gets harder as I get older. I have tried to work from the other side and I have equal success that way but for me it just isn't right.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  5. Stanm70

Stanm70 Well-Known Member

I shoot with both, If I only use 1 I get fatigued and image starts fading. Just a result of not conditioning my eye to be used to it.

6. Canadian Bushman

Canadian Bushman Well-Known Member

Both eyes open, probably from growing up bird hunting, not because i thought it was correct.

7. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Both eyes open. That's the way I was taught and trying to close one eye actually puts stress on the other for me. Depending on situation like lighting I might squint the non sighting eye a little.

8. BrentM

BrentM Well-Known Member

I can do it either way fine, shoot either fine as well, but my preference is both open. I do it to relax my face and remove overall tension. When I do it correctly it feels really good to release that round.

9. The Oregonian

The Oregonian Well-Known Member

The other day at the range I noticed what you are talking about. I thought about two eyes open bc of that and will try it next time at the range.

10. CB11WYO

CB11WYO Well-Known Member

+1 :)

11. huskerhunter

huskerhunter Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'm going to try both eyes open. I am so right eye dominant and right handed however that I'm sure I can shoot with both open with no adverse effect...

12. HighKnob

HighKnob Well-Known Member

I'm right handed and left eyed. I can only shoot rifles and shotguns with one eye open if i shoot right handed. If I shoot left, which is rare I can shoot with both open. Shoot pistols with both open and shot with my left eye even if i shoot one handed right , left, or both.

It seems my grandson my be the same way. I've always wished someone would had encouraged me to shoot left when i was young, but now I'm still waiting to see what to do with him. He's only six.

13. DeerHunter101

DeerHunter101 Well-Known Member

Seems like Im alittle different then you guys. When Im shooting a shotgun, rifle, or pistol with open sights I shoot both eyes open but when Im behind a scope I shoot with just my right eye. If Im shooting a gun with a optic such as a EOtech I have caught myself doing it both ways depending on the situation.:rolleyes:

14. 1SevenZero

1SevenZero Well-Known Member

Handgun, carbine and shotgun I shoot one eye closed. The shots generally come quickly and the eye isn't closed long enough to result in fatigue.

Scoped Rifle both eyes open. As shots come slower I find it fatiguing to close an eye. As it it tenses my face.