Best practices when keeping a shooting log

sxwatson

I finally have all of my components together to be sent off to my gunsmith for a 6.5x284 build and I would like to closely track the number of rounds I put down the tube when it's done. With other rifles I've had in the past I have logged what shoots best and kept track of good groups in a "log" book but I've never attempted to log the exact number of rounds I've put through them. Is it just a matter of keeping a spreadsheet and adding a line for every trip out with date, number of rounds shot? Do any of you do this and if so how do you track the data (note book, spreadsheet on your computer, etc...) and what data do you keep track of? Are there any programs out there that are made for this use?

You can buy log books that are set up for this from Sinclair or other distributors. I personally just right it down in a spiral. Also keep track of how many boxes of bullets I have and compare the emties to my hand written logs.

Same as stated above. You usually do not have the computer with you when shoot, so a spreed sheet is not real handy. If you are like me and carry several rifles to the range, you can't remember accurately what you shot when you get home so, it is best written down at the range. I just use the same notebook I am recording my load testing and conditions in. I write mine ine the front of the book and I have a seperate book for each rifle.

Here is what I do:

Initially, I took a commercially produced reloading record page and photocopied it onto paper that already has the 3 holes punched along one side. This way it can be put into any 3 ring binder. I made hundreds of pages.

I log every round of ammo that I reload (with all the particular info) and maintain a permanent record in this book. The record includes the total number of rounds of each load and the number of times the brass has been reloaded

After returning from the range with the targets and chronograph info the group size and average speed & SD are listed on the page.

After the pages are updated an entry is made on a computer file that allows me to make a quick review of every round and its performance of any cartridge, in any particular rifle. It also allows for a quick print-out.

Toatal round count is easy to determine for any rifle.

Thanks for the info guys. I planned on keeping written record while at the range but I really like the idea of storing it all on the computer when I get home so the information can be easily accessed and queried in different ways.

I keep a loading log in my reloading area and use a small spiral notebook for the shooting pack and field use. The notebook is no more then 3x5", and I keep a daily log of total rounds shot that day, date, time shooting started, wind and weather, also a brief discription of what was going on: it mostly looks like this "shooting steel tagets 330 yards to 863". I also keep my load development data in the book, as well as the round count at teh front of the book in a separate section. Finally in the daily section I put down whether I cleaned the rafle or not - yes on some occassions I do not clean my rifles and put them back into the safe dirty (whole different topic)

The book is in my range pack and goes with the pack, meaning at any given time the range pack has books for my .308, .260, and 7WSM. I have dedicated the first section exclusively to round count with a 1 line entry, showing total rounds, rounds that day, who shot the rifle, and what they did. e.g. "shoot steel 330 - 863."

JeffVN

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.