Do you shoot with 1 or Both eyes open?

• Only 1 eye

Votes: 88 39.8%
  • Both eyes

Votes: 86 38.9%
  • Depends on the situation

Votes: 51 23.1%

• Total voters
I've just started to shoot both eyes open. I find it helps me relax, and keeps me from blinking, which used to be a problem.

It also allows me to check my bubble level and focus knob with my left eye, without breaking cheekweld.

Both eyes open. That's the way I was taught and trying to close one eye actually puts stress on the other for me. Depending on situation like lighting I might squint the non sighting eye a little.

+1 to both of these.

I know I vary this depending on the situation, but largely both eyes are open. I sometimes wink to sharpen my focus on the scope picture, but then allow my off eye to open again to look downrange, check my bubble level, etc... I used to think maybe I was cross dominant, but all testing is to the contrary.

Come to think of it, I have always used both eyes since before I shot! I remember well people finding it strange I played Duck Hunter on the NES with both eyes open at age 4 or 5. Just seemed natural.

Sense I've seen this tread I started paying a little more attention. For myself it really depends on sunlight. How it is hitting me and from where it hits me. I enjoy the comfort of having both eyes open though.

weather it's my bow or my rifle scope or iron sights it's one eye closed for me. I can't change now and honestly don't see a reason why.....

The Russian International Olympic Team did much research regarding this issue some 30 odd yeas ago and their research showed that if the non-aiming eye is closed during the process of aiming that up to 28% visual acuity is lost in the aiming eye! Some of their shooters wore shooting frame glasses that had attached a fold down plastic 'blinder' over the non-aiming eye to prevent a double image problem.

The Russian International Olympic Team did much research regarding this issue some 30 odd yeas ago and their research showed that if the non-aiming eye is closed during the process of aiming that up to 28% visual acuity is lost in the aiming eye! Some of their shooters wore shooting frame glasses that had attached a fold down plastic 'blinder' over the non-aiming eye to prevent a double image problem.

I thought I had read that one somewhere... :)
Thanks for sharing!

I'm cross dominant and I've been trying to reteach myself to shoot left handed. It isn't that big of a deal for scoped rifles, but it seems to be helping immensely with irons, handguns, and especially shotguns.

One of my kids is cross dominant and the rest are righty/righty. The cross dominant one is right-eye dominant, but left handed. They all just shoot right handed.

Matt

now as a young buck with a homemade slingshot i used both eyes. i was taught to shoot using one eye with my first bb gun (daisy). same with my 22. i do use both eyes when shooting my shotgun however. im a hunting fool without a cure in sight, thank god.

I shoot with one eye open normally I can shoot right or left handed never even tried the both eyes open thing, I mite just need to try it:rolleyes:

So I only recently tried shooting with both eyes open and was wondering which technique you all used. Is one way more beneficial than the other and for what reasons? Are there anatomical benefits to shooting with both eyes versus one eye? Or is shooting with only the dominant eye open most effective? Does it differ depending on application? (ie. competition vs. hunting etc...)

Lets hear your thoughts and experiences!

Thanks!
I usually keep both eyes open so I can scan the perifery for changes down range that might change my mind about puling the trigger but once I am committed to the shot I close my off eye briefly and "git'r done.

Keeping just the scope eye open the whole time can, and sooner or later will get you in trouble.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.