How many rds do you shoot a year?

toddc

Guys on another board said I was full of it because I used to shoot 10K a yr more or less. I had a range out my back door and would shoot 500 rds a day on turtles and PDs sometimes.
I don't anymore as I live in a different area and can only shoot LR once a month + load development etc.
So now I'm probably at 2K ml a year + 223 which doesn't count lol.

Lots of guys I knew shot MORE than me, especially SRBR and the like.

What's an average yearly count on here?

Somewhere approaching 9,000 in rifles. Pistons can be ridiculous.

I just can't get anywhere near what you guys are doing. At least not at this point in my life (3 small kids + wife, and I'm the only income earner).

For me, I did 200 rounds out of my primary hunting rifle. 500 rounds in my 223 bolt action target rifle. Maybe another 50 for my other hunting rifles. Few hundred 22lr.

It really limits the range I feel comfortable shooting at big game. I probably wouldn't go any further then 600 yards on game.

Our 223 ct is pretty silly. We get primed brass for 10 cents + 20 for a 69SMK. I was cleaning one of them and bitching about the copper in it. Realized we had fired 2k in it in a weekend.

I shoot five to seven days a week and in the summer shooting turtles or working out the ar's and handguns that can easily account for fifty to several hundred rounds in a single outing.

If I add in the shotgun rounds from bird hunting, waterfowl, and dog training it easily goes past 5k, with at least a thousand through the bolt guns every year.

I point out to my wife that drinking would be a lot more expensive because whatever I do I tend to overdo quite a bit.:D

I don't have any ar's, only one bolt gun that gets shot often, and I shoot 1500-2000 depending on how many competions I enter. During hunting season I can add a 1-200 for the hunting rifle/s if we draw tags. A few pistols get shot regularly, but maybe a couple thousand a year, I don't keep track of .22 or shotguns.

I get to shoot weekly, usually. I work weekdays and have 2 little kids so i take advantage of any time I get.

Nowadays, I shoot 500-1000 rifle rounds a year. Depends on the number of competitive events I have time for. I would add about the same each for handgun and shotgun. I can remember a time when it could be 2-3 times that. As time goes on my non-competitive shooting seems to be more focused on quality then quantity. This occurred when Obama took office and supplies both diminished and rose in price.

Now that my rifles have a load developed for each of them I reckon I only shoot between 100-220 rounds a year. When components got scarce for reloading, I stopped burning powder to conserve my stock and haven't felt comfortable burning powder yet?

My yearly goal is 3000+ centerfire rounds a year. I usually end up in the 1500-2500 area.

Don Dunlap

Centerfire rifles (not including AR) 1500-2000
.223 AR +/- 2000
Shotgun 1500+
Pistol 800-1000
Rimfire +/- 300
Air rifle +/- 200 (pesky Eurasian doves make for great dog conditioning)

I shoot 3 to 5 times a week except for hunting season. I estimate 3500 to 4000 rounds conservatively. This includes quite several ( probably too many )active hunting rifles and benchrest competition rifles.
The truly embarrassing thing to me is that I will maybe only take up to 15 to 25 kills per barrel !! Between load development on a few different bullets and powders to find the best load and testing and verifying those loads, once I have the rifle dialed in and shooting so great I just can't stop myself from enjoying the hard work and utilizing a fantastically tuned rifle often.

Seems like a waste but it actually keeps me sane.

I shoot 3 to 5 times a week except for hunting season. I estimate 3500 to 4000 rounds conservatively. This includes quite several ( probably too many )active hunting rifles and benchrest competition rifles.
The truly embarrassing thing to me is that I will maybe only take up to 15 to 25 kills per barrel !! Between load development on a few different bullets and powders to find the best load and testing and verifying those loads, once I have the rifle dialed in and shooting so great I just can't stop myself from enjoying the hard work and utilizing a fantastically tuned rifle often.

Seems like a waste but it actually keeps me sane.
A whole lot cheaper than the alternative though... .:)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.