Daughters first bolt gun build. It will take some time but will use this thread as a journal of her build.

We want a thread for your daughters gun too! As for leupold scopes I have had good success so far. I need to give March a try I hear they are great.
Try Vector....and save enough money to pay for the build! Amazing scope for any amount of money! All the bells and whistles of scopes 3x the money and glass you won't believe you are looking thru!

I put a few rifles together for my boys, both of them in 6.8 spc, it will kill everything big or small inside the 300 yards I allowed them to shoot. Good luck on your build

This one will take awhile as I have to start the back order waiting game, but this will be her first bolt gun. She already has an AR and a 10/22. This rifle will be for mule deer and cow elk. We typically shoot younger cows…they just taste so much better.

I am thinking I will order

Manners MCS-CS with a min chassis
Defiance AnTI in Remington short action
Carbon barrel 18-20 inches threaded in an undecided chambering
TT Diamond or one step below, adaptive maybe?
It will have Hawkins rings and likely a VX5-HD in windplex I have laying around.

Chamberings I am thinking 25 Creedmoor, 25 SST or 6.5 Creedmoor.

I will update as I get parts and as it finishes.

Has anyone seen a really cool sponge combo on Manners stocks that is a bit more girly? Teal and pink are her favorite colors.

My 11 year old girl is 5"4 and slender like her mom. So she is a taller and I would even say stronger 11 year old girl than average.
I'm becoming a big fan of the 25 Creemoor. Currently having a 25-284, I think the 25CM would be the perfect cartridge for a younger person or smaller framed adult. My 25-284 has very mild recoil with 130s and carbon barrel. The CM would be a ***** cat. I'll be following your journey with your daughter. Sounds fun.

I'm becoming a big fan of the 25 Creemoor. Currently having a 25-284, I think the 25CM would be the perfect cartridge for a younger person or smaller framed adult. My 25-284 has very mild recoil with 130s and carbon barrel. The CM would be a ***** cat. I'll be following your journey with your daughter. Sounds fun.
I have been thinking a 25 Creedmoor would be the easy button and do everything I want. I am a bunch of backorder lists for the 25 Creedmoor brass hopefully I can score some.

I have been thinking a 25 Creedmoor would be the easy button and do everything I want. I am a bunch of backorder lists for the 25 Creedmoor brass hopefully I can score some.
I think better and more weight variety of .257 bullets will show up in the future. The 110-117 currently out there for hunting are very good. The heavies are also. My .25 caliber has a 7.5 twist barrel and it shoots the Hornady's, Sierra's, Noser and Speer bullets very good. I built it for the 131/133/135 bullets but broke it in with the 110-120s and they shot around .5 at 100. Lots of versatility there.

I think better and more weight variety of .257 bullets will show up in the future. The 110-117 currently out there for hunting are very good. The heavies are also. My .25 caliber has a 7.5 twist barrel and it shoots the Hornady's, Sierra's, Noser and Speer bullets very good. I built it for the 131/133/135 bullets but broke it in with the 110-120s and they shot around .5 at 100. Lots of versatility there.
I have been buying the 133 bergers for this build. So She will be shooting the heavier bullets out of the 25.

I have been buying the 133 bergers for this build. So She will be shooting the heavier bullets out of the 25.
They shoot very well. Only shot three shots for load data and at just under 3000 fps, this was my best group. Guessing the CM will be in the lower 2850-2900 fps range with accuracy. At 3100, mine was around .6-.7". I may rebarrel a current .308 to the .25 creed.

Attachments

• 195802.jpeg
    195802.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 37
They shoot very well. Only shot three shots for load data and at just under 3000 fps, this was my best group. Guessing the CM will be in the lower 2850-2900 fps range with accuracy. At 3100, mine was around .6-.7". I may rebarrel a current .308 to the .25 creed.
What cartridge was this from? Nice shooting and it looks like they shoot well. I have been excited to build a 25 caliber for my kids. My dads first rifle was a 257 Roberts and it's fun to get her started in a 25 caliber as her first. My first was a 270 win so I will be odd man out.

What cartridge was this from? Nice shooting and it looks like they shoot well. I have been excited to build a 25 caliber for my kids. My dads first rifle was a 257 Roberts and it's fun to get her started in a 25 caliber as her first. My first was a 270 win so I will be odd man out.
Well I wish I could get you more excited about the cartridge but mines a 25-284. I'm running it slow compared to what it's capable of but that's where accuracy was. May try 56-57 grains of RL26 next time out. The 53.5/54 was the sweet spot. Only went up to 55 but accuracy was a little worse.

This one will take awhile as I have to start the back order waiting game, but this will be her first bolt gun. She already has an AR and a 10/22. This rifle will be for mule deer and cow elk. We typically shoot younger cows…they just taste so much better.

I am thinking I will order

Manners MCS-CS with a min chassis
Defiance AnTI in Remington short action
Carbon barrel 18-20 inches threaded in an undecided chambering
TT Diamond or one step below, adaptive maybe?
It will have Hawkins rings and likely a VX5-HD in windplex I have laying around.

Chamberings I am thinking 25 Creedmoor, 25 SST or 6.5 Creedmoor.

I will update as I get parts and as it finishes.

Has anyone seen a really cool sponge combo on Manners stocks that is a bit more girly? Teal and pink are her favorite colors.

My 11 year old girl is 5"4 and slender like her mom. So she is a taller and I would even say stronger 11 year old girl than average.
Those all sound like great component. I love my Defiance Deviant XM action. I'd choose a cartridge that will last her for years and hit hard enough to kill elk at long distance, even if you don't intend to. Extra power never hurts. You know that, you've been to Africa. If you're stuck on a short action the 6.5 PRC, any of the WSMs (love me some 300 WSM), any of the short wildcats like a Sherman 6.5/7mm SS would be my choice. My (grown) 5'4'' 130lb daughter learned to shoot with my light weight 6.5 PRC with no brake and shortly after she killed her first Coues buck at 450 yards seated off a tripod no problem. Should be a fun build.

Those all sound like great component. I love my Defiance Deviant XM action. I'd choose a cartridge that will last her for years and hit hard enough to kill elk at long distance, even if you don't intend to. Extra power never hurts. You know that, you've been to Africa. If you're stuck on a short action the 6.5 PRC, any of the WSMs (love me some 300 WSM), any of the short wildcats like a Sherman 6.5/7mm SS would be my choice. My (grown) 5'4'' 130lb daughter learned to shoot with my light weight 6.5 PRC with no brake and shortly after she killed her first Coues buck at 450 yards seated off a tripod no problem. Should be a fun build.
The idea of going up to a 6.5 PRC has been something I have thought on. I am only worried about making her recoil sensitive. I haven't placed the action order so it's still a possibility. I am also not against multiple barrels. I have a few rifles that I just swap barrels and use for different uses. Ex 28 Nosler I also use as a 375 Ruger.

The idea of going up to a 6.5 PRC has been something I have thought on. I am only worried about making her recoil sensitive. I haven't placed the action order so it's still a possibility. I am also not against multiple barrels. I have a few rifles that I just swap barrels and use for different uses. Ex 28 Nosler I also use as a 375 Ruger.
My choice for going to a 25-284 was due to the High BC 131/133/135 bullets. I shoot a 6.5-284 using the 140s and the 257 caliber with 130 class bullets is faster, flatter and will hit harder downrange with less recoil. This intrigued me enough to build one for Wyoming antelope hunting. I'd say the heavier 140-156 grain 6.5 bullets are excellent for bigger deer and up but for antelope and whitetails, the 130 class bullets are an excellent choice in the .257 caliber. I think your initial 25CM choice for her is spot on.

A lot of good suggestions. I was mulling this over last year and ended up commissioning a 6.5sst. It didn't come in time for my two daughters hunt, but here's my thinking. I can use light bullets for light game and the kids and heavys for bigger game for me and when they get older. Or just slap a brake on it and use whatever.

I felt the 6.5 creedmoor was a little under gunned when one daughter killed a buck a 100yds and the bullet entered behind the near shoulder was found under the off hide. Granted it was 129 factory interlocks but I just didn't like it. Needless to say it did it's job. The buck was 20yds from where she shot him.

I thought about the 7-08 with 130's for the girls and go up to 154 interlocks. Considered the 6.5 prc also but I hand load everything and prc ammo was nonexistent. I was also worried about clickers.

This last season they ended using my 7max (13&11 yo) and killed everything they shot at with it (deer and sheep). All pass throughs as expected with 195 bergers out to over 300 yds. It sounds like a good project and I hate brakes but for kids it does help with recoil. Not concussion.

Another option is pick something in a 30 and down load it a bit. Makers bullets I hear a pretty good. I just don't know how well they'll do at higher velocity. At least with the monos you can get them. I had a hard time ordering 6.5 bullets last year.

Best advice is build what you can find in components or factory ammo. Either way she'll be stoked and those memories will last a lifetime.