Daughters first bolt gun build. It will take some time but will use this thread as a journal of her build.

A lot of good suggestions. I was mulling this over last year and ended up commissioning a 6.5sst. It didn't come in time for my two daughters hunt, but here's my thinking. I can use light bullets for light game and the kids and heavys for bigger game for me and when they get older. Or just slap a brake on it and use whatever.

I felt the 6.5 creedmoor was a little under gunned when one daughter killed a buck a 100yds and the bullet entered behind the near shoulder was found under the off hide. Granted it was 129 factory interlocks but I just didn't like it. Needless to say it did it's job. The buck was 20yds from where she shot him.

I thought about the 7-08 with 130's for the girls and go up to 154 interlocks. Considered the 6.5 prc also but I hand load everything and prc ammo was nonexistent. I was also worried about clickers.

This last season they ended using my 7max (13&11 yo) and killed everything they shot at with it (deer and sheep). All pass throughs as expected with 195 bergers out to over 300 yds. It sounds like a good project and I hate brakes but for kids it does help with recoil. Not concussion.

Another option is pick something in a 30 and down load it a bit. Makers bullets I hear a pretty good. I just don't know how well they'll do at higher velocity. At least with the monos you can get them. I had a hard time ordering 6.5 bullets last year.

Best advice is build what you can find in components or factory ammo. Either way she'll be stoked and those memories will last a lifetime.
I appreciate the advice!
I hadn't really thought 6.5 SST, that's not a bad call at all. I was actually mulling a 25sst-7sst swap barrel setup but I am just mulling still. I am curious what bullet you have used in it and an idea of velocity. I am not looking for top top end velocity just a moderate load.
Your daughters shoot the 7 Max comfortably? Must be some tuff girls lol. Thanks for the input!

Is a muzzle brake an option? A muzzle brake opens up the options for a lot of cartridges. However, you could go 6.5 prc as stated, and just load it down light with lighter bullets
I will have the end threaded for both a suppressor option and a brake option. I brake all my own rifles and just use electronic in ear protection when hunting. I am not sure how the electronic ears I have will fit her. I will test that out. Thanks for the input Cody.

I will have the end threaded for both a suppressor option and a brake option. I brake all my own rifles and just use electronic in ear protection when hunting. I am not sure how the electronic ears I have will fit her. I will test that out. Thanks for the input Cody.
Maybe the universal for ones may fit but remember they are young and the bones in the body still transmit sound and can cause hearing damage. A lot of us have found out too late. There was a good YouTube from vortex recently concerning ear pro. It was long but interesting.

Last edited:
I appreciate the advice!
I hadn't really thought 6.5 SST, that's not a bad call at all. I was actually mulling a 25sst-7sst swap barrel setup but I am just mulling still. I am curious what bullet you have used in it and an idea of velocity. I am not looking for top top end velocity just a moderate load.
Your daughters shoot the 7 Max comfortably? Must be some tuff girls lol. Thanks for the input!
I haven't gotten the gun yet but for an idea the sst should run a 156 comfortably in the high 2900 FPS and over 3000 if you stomp on it with a 26" barrel. And 140's around 3100? Best to call rich or look at some of the reloading data guys were getting. I had mine made with a 22" BM carbon. Like you I decided on a switch barrel and had a 338 SS spun up on a 22" HCA. IM REALLY looking forward to getting the build. I'm interested to see how the tuebor ti action feels and feeds. It's supposed to be my new carry rifle. Light and compact. We can't have cans where we live so I wanted a handy build. If I ever move then maybe I can get a can later.

The 6.5 prc is a good choice if you reload but still want factory ammo. It won't run as fast from what I heard but never having both I can't say for certain.

As for my 7 max. It's a pussycat with an SRS TI PRO 3 brake and comes in about 10lbs loaded. My girls are petite and slight in stature. They are 3/4 Asian. The gun kicks less than a kimber 84m with factory brake in 6.5 creedmoor with 129 factory ammo. That kicks less than my old 243 pre 64 with 100 gr Sierra loads. For them the biggest intimidation factor was the muzzle blast. I am looking into the mdt brake for the kids but I don't like the weight on it. Feel free to reach out if I can help in anyway.

Oh on a side note. I know you were thinking stock. But with the girl still growing what if you go with an ultralight chassis? You can change it as she grows. Some of them weigh only a few ounces more than a carbon stock? I myself contemplated this but just ordered a standard carbon stock. But my thinking was you could order a barreled action and put together (the two of you) easily with a chassis.

Fun times!

Last edited:
I haven't gotten the gun yet but for an idea the sst should run a 156 comfortably in the high 2900 FPS and over 3000 if you stomp on it with a 26" barrel. And 140's around 3100? Best to call rich or look at some of the reloading data guys were getting. I had mine made with a 22" BM carbon. Like you I decided on a switch barrel and had a 338 SS spun up on a 22" HCA. IM REALLY looking forward to getting the build. I'm interested to see how the tuebor ti action feels and feeds. It's supposed to be my new carry rifle. Light and compact. We can't have cans where we live so I wanted a handy build. If I ever move then maybe I can get a can later.

The 6.5 prc is a good choice if you reload but still want factory ammo. It won't run as fast from what I heard but never having both I can't say for certain.

As for my 7 max. It's a pussycat with an SRS TI PRO 3 brake and comes in about 10lbs loaded. My girls are petite and slight in stature. They are 3/4 Asian. The gun kicks less than a kimber 84m with factory brake in 6.5 creedmoor with 129 factory ammo. That kicks less than my old 243 pre 64 with 100 gr Sierra loads. For them the biggest intimidation factor was the muzzle blast. I am looking into the mdt brake for the kids but I don't like the weight on it. Feel free to reach out if I can help in anyway.

Oh on a side note. I know you were thinking stock. But with the girl still growing what if you go with an ultralight chassis? You can change it as she grows. Some of them weigh only a few ounces more than a carbon stock? I myself contemplated this but just ordered a standard carbon stock. But my thinking was you could order a barreled action and put together (the two of you) easily with a chassis.

Fun times!
That new rifle should be sweet! When will you get it?
The stock I am thinking adjusts from 11.5 LOP to 13.5 LOP so it's a little compact fella. I have thought hard on the chassis idea, the big hang up is weight goes way up once you get an adjustable LOP. The fixed versions are 12.5 and 13.5. I would like it to go a bit smaller than 12.5.
As for reloading, I exclusively reload and have since I was 13. Haven't fired a factory round for a good long while. The PRC is a good option for sure, I have been contemplating a 25 SST and 7SST rifle. This would allow them to shoot anything they really wanted, except very large game.
Lots to consider, biggest concern is hearing protection for me. I will find and watch that video, should be interesting. Thanks for the input!

The stock I am thinking adjusts from 11.5 LOP to 13.5 LOP so it's a little compact fella. I have thought hard on the chassis idea, the big hang up is weight goes way up once you get an adjustable LOP. The fixed versions are 12.5 and 13.5. I would like it to go a bit smaller than 12.5.
As for reloading, I exclusively reload and have since I was 13. Haven't fired a factory round for a good long while. The PRC is a good option for sure, I have been contemplating a 25 SST and 7SST rifle. This would allow them to shoot anything they really wanted, except very large game.
Lots to consider, biggest concern is hearing protection for me. I will find and watch that video, should be interesting. Thanks for the input!
I was looking at mpa ba ultra lite. Yeah 36 oz. I get it. A decent stock is maybe 25 or so plus bedding. Bottom metal 2-3 oz. just food for thought. The element was lighter but more pricey. They both may have shorter butt options for smaller shooters.

Last edited:
MCS-CS stock is pretty sweet this is it. The other one I have thought about is XLR magnesium but I have gone through the options and 12.5 is the smallest LOP. At least I believe that was the case it's been a day or two I may have forgot.

Attachments

• FE570E8B-6E35-405E-B98B-93345043121F.png
    FE570E8B-6E35-405E-B98B-93345043121F.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 34
MCS-CS stock is pretty sweet this is it. The other one I have thought about is XLR magnesium but I have gone through the options and 12.5 is the smallest LOP. At least I believe that was the case it's been a day or two I may have forgot.
Just throw on a carbine buffer tube and a standard ar15 6 position stock and it will go as short/long as you need, and is about 12 oz. No adjustable cheek rest, but with your leupold mounted low, it is actually about right. But the Manners is a good option too.

Just throw on a carbine buffer tube and a standard ar15 6 position stock and it will go as short/long as you need, and is about 12 oz. No adjustable cheek rest, but with your leupold mounted low, it is actually about right. But the Manners is a good option too.
I actually was wondering if this was possible. Do you have this chassis setup like this? I am curious where the weight comes out. Do your kids like shooting the XLR chassis?

I actually was wondering if this was possible. Do you have this chassis setup like this? I am curious where the weight comes out. Do your kids like shooting the XLR chassis?
Weight is the same as the carbon fiber fixed position stock, only difference is no recoil pad and no adjustable cheek rest. So just figure weight as if it was the smoke carbon stock. On a low recoiling cartridge, no recoil pad isn't a big deal for a kid, as long as you keep the scope mounting low so no cheek riser is needed. They make plastic clip on cheek risers that don't weigh more than a couple ounces too.
20220823_155507.jpg

Well, the build has been started. I ordered a 6mm Creedmoor barrel 20 inch proof carbon in a 7.5 twist. I am doing a MT7 falkor action and a XLR magnesium chassis for her. I was able to get 200 SRP alpha brass and 500 108 ELDM bullets.
So far only brass, bullets, primers, powder and barrel are purchased.

I worked with Nick at straight jacket armory this last week and tried out a suppressor I had never tried before and it was light and short. So this gun will be built around a suppressor being used.

I worked with Nick at straight jacket armory this last week and tried out a suppressor I had never tried before and it was light and short. So this gun will be built around a suppressor being used.
Nick is awesome. A bit too busy at times but anyone good usually has a lot on their plate. Good luck with it. I have one rifle from him and another waiting for new reamers.