New Build! first build.

Is less than 1/2 pound difference in weight really making that choice difficult for you? I would go with whichever Kevin recommends and call it good. lightbulb
QUOTE]

Essentially, this is what i ended up doing with respect to my 7mm SAUM.

I would go with the #5, it's going to only add .32 lbs in weight but will balance better in more situations IMO. I really like the #5 in a carry rifle and I've been using the Brux Med Palma for my dedicated LR 338 builds and even those rifles have been coming in at only 12.5 ready to hunt.

I am hoping to get this build started as soon as possible. In the past few years my ranges have expanded, my interests and goals have grown. Im looking for a rifle to shoot and hunt from ranges 500-800 yards on big game. Targets such as Whitetail, Moose, Elk, Black Bear and Caribou will be included. This is what im looking to get done,

Caliber: 300. win mag

Action: Remington 700 BDL

Work:
-blueprint action
-Holland recoil lug
-brux barrel (26 or 28"-#4 or #5 contour barrel. Undecided)
-pillar bed
-bolt flute
-timney trigger
-McMillan a3 stock
-KMW grenade style bolt knob

Im hoping this rifle to be relatively light. This will be my first build and will be my primary long range hunting rifle. What is everyones thoughts and opinons on this build?

Few questions i would like help with;
1.) Which length barrel and which Contour (would prefer to keep weight down)
2.) thoughts on McMillan a3 stock for a hunting rifle?
3.) what barrel twist is recommened. Looks like 10 and 11 are popular

I will be reloading and will be concentrating on Berger 210 VLD's, Nosler 200 Accubonds. thoughts and comments would be highly appreciated!!

With all the bolt and action work, you will be way ahead $ and reliability wise to sell the 700 and buy a custom action with all that work done and much more and a better extractor than the remington riveted extractor.

At least buy a PTG bolt as a minimum and save money and sell the Rem bolt. You can order it sized for your action, fluted, threaded bolt handle, and M16 or sako extractor. Dollars way ahead!

Here is one to consider.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/tooley-orion-action-pics-requested-56798/

BH

With all the work being done to the remington 700 action isn't it still cheaper by a few hundred dollars over the stiller action? And even after the 700 action being re-worked, is it still not as good as the stiller.

Whats the difference of that action?

Yeah you're still a couple hundred cheaper than the 2010 price on that tooley orion. I'm betting they're close to 950 now as all stillers are as well. Depending on what you got the action for i'm betting you won't have more than 650 in it, and it will be just as accurate. Custom actions are needed to make accurate rifles, they may just feel a little better is all. As far as my 1 lb action comment, That was a brain fart moment. They're 2.5 lbs roughly. that still brings it in right around 11.5 with a fluted 6 lilja as info.
Nimrod

Matt, there is absolutely no reason that you can't make your Remington action work the way you want it to, especially if you have it already. If you are on a limited budget, you don't need to waste your money on fancy extractors, bolt fluting, or an aftermarket bolt for that matter. The Standard Rem extractors are more than adequate and they are safer than the Sako style. Believe me when I say, there are plenty of Rem 700 semi customs that are more capable than their operator. If you're a good shooter and build with quality components and proper installation procedures, there is absolutely no reason your Rem 700 action won't perform.

That said, a #5 contour is a good compromise for LR shooting and carrying. A 10 twist will stabilize pretty much everything, to include the 230 Bergers if you so choose, and you can cut weight in the stock by going with a lightweight fill.

I'm a fan of going with a custom actions for a several reasons including that they are built to better tolerances, and they retain their value better. Put it this way, you can buy a standard remington action and pay to have it trued up, or you can purchase a custom action and just thread it on. Yes they may not be perfect, but if they aren't, just send it back.

Also, the Stiller Predator actions are only $850.00 they have $950.00 on their website as their MSRP. If you can find a group of 6or more people to do a group buy, you can get an additional $50.00 of each action (I'm currently doing this with my friends).

FYI, the Predator come with a PTG bolt.

See for me, money is an issue. I am 18 and about to start school. I have been saving for this project for a little while but i need the extra cash for school. I didn't buy a remington action/gun, my uncle had purchased a Remington 700 BDL and then he retired from hunting. The gun has barely been shot, in absolute perfect condition and he handed it down to me as a gift. I figured it would be the perfect doner action and would save me some doe. Thats why i chose remington.

See for me, money is an issue. I am 18 and about to start school. I have been saving for this project for a little while but i need the extra cash for school. I didn't buy a remington action/gun, my uncle had purchased a Remington 700 BDL and then he retired from hunting. The gun has barely been shot, in absolute perfect condition and he handed it down to me as a gift. I figured it would be the perfect doner action and would save me some doe. Thats why i chose remington.

Nothing wrong with that logic.

Yes, the Remington will work great for a donor action. Forget all the fancy bolts and fluting. You don't need it to have a tack driver. One option for you may be to take a look at Pac-Nor barrels for pricing and installation. They do a great job of truing the action and barrel installation for $300 plus the price of the barrel. Next, all you have to do is install your trigger and optics, then bed it into the stock of your choice and start load development. Aside from optics, you could be into this rifle for less than $1000 more dollars if you choose your parts wisely.

Matt is it a long or short action? Do you have a good stock already?

It's a long action. And I'm purchasing a McMillan a3
Man that's reaching high for a kid on a budget!

If you do give their new A3 sporter a hard look. I may one day decide I can afford one.

A3-sporter.jpg

If you decide to lower the budget a little and get to needing a stock drop me a line. I've got an extra Sendero stock I'd let you have very reasonably.

I realize my budget is high especially for a young kid trying to pay for school, but I have put money aside for both, saved up and spoke with Kevin at MCR and I got everything worked out in a decent price range. I worked hard and it's what I want, so McMillan it is.

I like the look of the standard a3 vs the sporter

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.