First build

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by timmymic, Nov 15, 2012.

1. timmymic

timmymic Well-Known Member

I am looking a building a 6.5 creedmoor in left handed and want to find a used 700 actin to make it from. what calibers would I look for that could be rechamber to fit the creedmoor and what do u have to do to go from one to the other???? Thanks for your help

Or the same situation wit a .264

2. BPreheim

BPreheim Member

Any short action with a 308 bolt face wil work nicely if you are going to feed from the mag you may want to use the 22-250 mag spacer and follower.​
    use a long action with magnum bolt face

3. timmymic

So if I bought a 700 cdl in a 7mag it would work good for the 264??? Idk if the 7mag is short or long I am assuming long

4. BPreheim

BPreheim Member

7mag will work great for the 264 7 mag is a long action

5. timmymic

Ohhh thank u very much that is awesome news! So is it as easy as just changing the barrel after getting the 7 mag

6. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

I know you want a Remmy, but if you want to do the work yourself, you will want to get a Savage or a Stevens rifle. Both have a barrel nut that with a few hand tools you can screw a barrel on and set head space on your own. With a Remington, you will need to either get it made to accept a barrel nut to set the head space by yourself, or you will need to have a smith cut and time the threads so that you have correct head space from the bolt face. That is why I am a Savage/Stevens fan. It is much easier to build on. Any time you get a magnum, it is good to get the long action (I know, I know, there are short mags). The reason being even with the short mags, if you chose to shoot the longer high ballistic coefficient bullets and have a long throat cut, it can be a problem trying to get a short action magazine to accept and feed the longer dimensions. Now I know there are some options to extend the magazine on a short action, but the long action doesn't require this upgrade.

As for the Creedmore, from my understanding, the short action will work fine with all bullets. This is the caliber I believe I will build in my next rifle if I decide not to go with the Lapua. My cousin has a 6.5 Lapua and anxious to see how it shoots today.

7. timmymic

To tell you the truth remington or savage doesnt really bother me either way i might lead toward a savage because i want a stainless action and factory made left handed the only thing i can find is the savage weather warrior! are they good guns?

8. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. See if you can find a used one and save a little money. Matter of fact my cousin just bought a model 16 Weather Warrior. If you are going to re-barrel, then a used rifle would be the way to go. There are some trigger options out there that will allow you to upgrade if you don't like the accu-trigger. I like the accu-trigger, though if I built one for competition, I would change it out for the Rifle Basix trigger.