Caliber of Choice, 30-06

I love the 06 and 270 but the 7MAG, would be my first choice for long shots. and you better practice. and get a bi-pod too! A 7MAG is a great calibre and can be used on just about game with just a change of the bullet. The recoil is no problem for me. I thought it would Knock my fillings out but the recoil was nothing.

I shoot long range and hunt with a 30-06. Yes, it gets out to 1000 yards just fine. Mine is a 1 in 10" twist and shoots under 1/2" MOA with both 168gr & 190gr matchkings. The real beauty of the 30-06 is its versatility. You can find ammo from 100gr to 220gr easily. The round got popular for a reason. It shoots accurately and knocks down the targets.

The 30-06 is a victim of its age. If people were told there was a not new cartridge out there that could use 30cal bullets and have more power than a 308, but less recoil than a 300WM it would be the greatest new thing. It's not for guys that want to brag about the greatest wiz-bang caliber out there. It's for guys that want a caliber that flat out works for any situation and any is very versatile.

I handload for my rifle and that makes a big difference but there is some much more factory ammo available for a 30-06 than anything else. I travel when I hunt and when I go into a "mom & pops" grocery/gas station/hardware/gun store there is always some 30-06 ammo to be found in case it's needed.

There's a lot of calibers that'll work just fine for what you're wanting to do. The 30-06 is a very wise choice. For me I wanted a rifle I could use at the range for long range precision practice, and also for hunting. I chose the 30-06 and I couldn't be happier about it.

Let us know how you decide.

got to agree I love my .06 will never get rid of it. Right now it is at the gun smith finishing it off accurizing it. I CANT WAIT TO GET IT BACK. I am thinking about starting hand loading any sugjestions

A friend of mine had an all out tactical/long range rifle built for him by Gre-Tan rifles in Colorado. Every bell and whistle you could imagine. With hand loads that gun will just flat shoot. I would not be afraid to use it on anything in the lower US states. If you like the .30-06 Don't be let the nay Sayers change your mind. Recoil with a muzzle break is basically non existent and if the gun is built into a tactical/long range style rifle it will pretty much do anything your needing to do within its limits. Its your gun, build it like you want it.

Y yes it is being built to keep like I told my son you will have to pray it out of my cold dead hands. it is a hunting rifle that I want to hit under 2" at 300Y that is not to mutch to ask

Last edited:
If you want to have one rifle to start, how far do you want to hunt big game? My guess is the 30-06 will do everything you could want. Inexpensive to shoot, shoots large enough bullets w/ enough power to hunt any animal on the north American continent. Loaded w/ the right bullets you can hunt deer size out to a 1000 yrds no problem. You have the largest selection of bullets available, of any caliber, in the .308.

I am one of the few here that very much like the 30-06. In my opinion the best all-around caliber available.

Steve

my thoughts too

WOW this 1 is old . since then I bought a 700 in 7mm rem mag. Still got the 721 .06 and I am all set up & reloading what a defrence best thing I ever did. But in hind sight 7mm is going by by. Dont care for belted mag. Perty shure I am going for a 700 in 308 any way 30 cal. But after reading all this agine its got me rethinking .06 why not a pair of them 1 for my son? Ofcorse there both MINE!

CVA54, go with the 06's and you'll be happy. No sense in me being redundant as others have already mentioned all the pro's. I own one, wouldn't sell it and love it.

I agree with the fact that the ol' 30-06 is a universal cartridge and will never be out of date. On the other hand, I love my 7mmRemMag and wouldn't sell it lol.

using only factory ammo i would get either a 7mmrm or a 300 wm. i do like the 30-06 and have 3 of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.