7mmRUM with 30 caliber barrel

G

I have a new Remington 7mm RUm sendero.The first four shots never hit the paper,4'square @ 100 yds.The fifth shot from 25 yds hit the target two feet from center, the bullet was completely side ways.The velocity was really low and the shooter said there was almost no recoil.I thought there must have a problem with the Vais brake, because i could see copper on one side.Further inspection revealed it was not the brake, but the barrel.It is a .30 caliber barrel, it chambers the 7mm RUM, and will not chamber a 300 RUM. and the barrel is marked 7mm RUM.I am going to call Remington in the morning.

LOL Sounds like a keeper
smile.gif
, a low recoil 7mm RUM.

I talked to Remington. The guy was nice enough and said send it back. But he did say that installing the muzzle voided the warranty.

VH11

Thank goodness it was not a 300 RUM with a 7MM barrel. You need to make a STINK if they don't make this right! brake or no brake this is there screwup not yours.
Keep us posted and good luck

CAM
grin.gif
grin.gif

I had the same problem with my 7mm rum sendero, it was actually a 300 rum,the shop that I bought it from had remington replace it.(the gun shop thought I was wacked when I keeped telling them that It was the gun and not me).It took remington 6 weeks to replace and all they gave me was a box of factory ammo.

Faily incredible!

Remington sure has gone to hell lately, two rifles with 30 caliber barrels chambered for 7mm cartridges.

I guess my question is.... if you are convinced that Remington is the worst company out there, why did you buy a new rifle from them??

I have a new Remington 7mm RUm sendero

They are, without a doubt, the WORST company in the shooting industry.

confused.gif
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif

VH11,

Now you have an excuse to buy a real nice barrel for it, already!
wink.gif
Or just rechamber it to 300 Ultra!

Gary, I think you are probably right, however I would not hesitate to buy a Remington for a custom buildup because first, I check them out real well, and second, the action will basically be a custom job and no longer a 700, per say, when it is done. If I wanted an out of the box shooter, it would be a Savage, period.
wink.gif

Gary,

You've got me, Varmint Hunter, mixed up with VarminthunterII.
Remington is the ONLY shooting industry manufacturer that has such unfriendly customer service policies that they receive daily complaints on various boards. The quality control over the last several years hasn't been anything to rave about either.
VH

VH-

I stand corrected. My mistake.

However, I still think that Remington-bashing has become the "in" thing to do, with everyone jumping on the bandwagon.

I guess I'll just continue to keep them in business, as I'm like Brent. If they shoot (and plenty of them do), I'll shoot it as-is. If not, a fix is only a barrel away...

Seeing as how Remington will void the warranty for putting on the muzzle brake, for 250 bucks you could have your smith accurize it and rechamber to 300 Ultra and be on your way with a nice rifle.
wink.gif

There's now way I'd send it back to remington even if they guaranteed an new barrel install for free, you would still have to pay to have the new barrel threaded again for the brake, and that is the same as you'd pay for the rechamber job.

By the way, I'd shop for another smith too, I think he should have spotted the 30 cal bore when doing the brake install for sure, it sure wouldn't instill any confidence in me as to his attention to details.

Why does everyone want him to get rid of his 7mm RUM?

I have one an want to know why you guys think I should have bought a 30 cal instead!

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.