Caliber of Choice, 30-06

using only factory ammo i would get either a 7mmrm or a 300 wm. i do like the 30-06 and have 3 of them.

+1 with that whole statement, exept the very end. (I only have one -06) but I do love that ol' rifle. It killed everything I pointed it at from the time I was 13 till I was almost 30. Multiple- Deer, elk, bear, coyotes, sagerats, and birds of all sizes and flavors from Grouse to starlings, badgers, skunks, a couple gophers, and one possum, plus I actually shot a fly on my target one day with a whitness. I was almost more suprised than he was that I hit it.:D The 30-06 is truely a do all cartrige. While theyre are other ''do all'' cartriges that are better suited to L/R, the -06 will hold its own when shot within a reasonable range.

About 20 years ago i went into a gun store to buy a 7mm it was a cal that my friend had and my father borrrowed to go on a moose hunt once and i saw first hand what it could do to a deer . the salesman said they were sold out of 7mm and showed me a 30 06 not knowing much about guns i though he was just trying to make a sale so i asked to see a 30 06 bullet and a 7 mm I compared the two and figured any deer i shot wouldnt know the difference
between the two bullets so a bought a 30 06 sako .Fast forward 20 years i have no regrets in my choice every one i have talked to and everthing i have read has nothing but good thing to say about the cal .i have shot about 20 deer 2 antelope a few coyotes and some grouse and 1 cow elk the gun has worked well .granted I am not a long Range hunter (yet)the longest shot was +or- 350 yards based on bal drop after the shot .its comforting to know that this gun can take deer out to 600 yards mentioned in the above posts i now have some new goals to look foward to .thanks

Hopefully i will soon be coverted, i currently shoot .243 in the UK.
But my 30-06 is on its way, purchased it to deal with the wild boar we have at the moment.
To date my .243 has dealt with every thing i have pointed at, but this afternoon (and at other times) i shot a red stag and the meat damage was excessive, even from 210m with a 100 grain speer bullet.
So i will be interested in the damage a heavier bullet from the 30-06 will do, i have heard tell there is less dmage done by the 30-06.
Watch this space.
Cheers
Richard

I just bought a 243. win and haven't taken it out to the range yet, but with close friends and neighbors that have dealt with the 243. win for whitetail and mule, they have been extremely impressed, especially since it is an under rated deer gun.

I bought it for the purpose of long range coyotes but would be happy to take it for deer.

I also own a 7mm rem mag loading 140 grain accubonds and 160 grain accubonds, this rifle shoots under moa out to 300 yards all day long. I strongly think this would be my preferred caliber of choice on whitetail and mule.

Then again my 300 wsm holds moa out to 300 yards and love this round too. I believe it is a tad large for deer but who really cares, dead is dead!.

Take a good look at the 243. win and 7mm rem mag! or even the 270 win shooting 130 grain accubonds, wont reget any of them!

Back 35 years ago i bougt this old mod 94 in 30.30. 12 years ago got my .06 a old rem 721 done a lot of work on it its now a 700 any way. My son started deer hunting a few years ago handed him the 30.30 he missed 2 deer so I shoot it at the range. Its hunting days are done! I sold it for a 7mm rem mag dam nice round but better get another job if you want to shoot it and carrying that tellphone in the deep woods is a real pain the but. So traded it up for a 700 DM in 308 win. 7.62 is were it is at for me.

If you want a real good Deer,Elk,Bear,Moose,Caribou, calibre the .3006 is great.
if you choose to own a long range rifle the .06 has worked well in a little over 100 years in all fields. I have a few 03Springfields I have dumped a bunch of money into, just like watching it go through a drain. There are plenty of calibres out there, its a marrage, you get a .3006
you better get to know her first, I have an old 7MM Magnum I have used for over 20 years for shooting out to 500..and a bit beyond..at one time, I could see that far, now, with age, I use my
.3006 for 300 yards and it works well. Infact I got two big does and a worn out old buck
that was just about dead from fighting. his health was at the end of his road.
The .06 is spliting hairs a .270,308,260,248..there the best and now the 7mm08.
You marry her you carry her.

I am thinking about back when I turned 14..I had a BSA 441 I was just north of Atlanta Michigan, I would spend days running the back roads looking for places to hunt, it was late August and School was gonna start in about two weeks. I found a place when fishing Brook Trout along the Pigeon River..Every evening I would see deer, bucks and does in a clearing, Man I wanted some venison bad, eating bass and trout waas getting old, so I grabbed up my 03 Springfield and straped my head and shoulder around this old work horse and waited and a small buck came out with the sun on his back. I did what I would beat the snot out of my kid for. I shot a small buck. its ilegal I know poaching is wrong (but Jesus saved me)..I had this gutted Deer across the tank of this bike and every person I passed seen this deer it was a good 20 miles back to the Cabin Boy my Dad was ****ed! after he acted like I was getting my as$ beat in front of my uncle Jake they tossed it into his truck and butcherd it, the people next door thought my Dad was killing me.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.