Marlin 308 mxlr good choice? bad choice

troy.teston

1. I purchaced my 308 marlin back in Feb and have shot it a total of 56 times. It is a beautiful rifle stainless, with gray and black finish. The ammo I use is Hornady Leverevolutions 308 mar. Its the only ammo I can purchace. You might say the rifle was made just for this ammo. There is no reloading that I know of. The ammo cost me around $30. a box shipped. Thats about $1.50 per shot. The gun shoots well but I have had two failed round out of 40 rounds (5% failure). I would like some others thoughts on the matter.:confused:

Between the gun and caliber you've kind of got yourself backed into a corner. Doesn't sound like you've got any options for ammo other than one kind and there probably won't ever be.

What exactly do you mean by failed rounds? Did the primer not go off? Did the primer go off but the bullet didn't move? I don't really know what you meant by that.

I read a story about a guy who got a bull elk with his 308Marlin rifle and I really like the concept of a 308 type catrirdge in a levergun without having to buy a browning. Sounds like a good setup, if it's working right.

If you don't shoot a whole lot just get it checked out by a gunsmith. If you do intend to shoot a lot I'd be considering trading it in against something as soon as I could.

Teddy12B The primer didn't ignite. After examining the other spent cases it looked like the primers were set to deep. As for shooting ,I can't afford to go to the range to much. I just ordered 80 rounds for $120. but I realy like the rifle. thanks for the reply:eek:

That's a new cartridge but you can be assured that loading dies WILL be available for it, probably pretty soon. That can bring your ammo costs down a lot but you probably won't be able to get the soft-nose pointy bullets for awhile. So what, you still will have a good lever rifle that will be deadly with round nose ammo out to at least 225 yards.

Your ammo problem is caused by the maker of the primers, not the rifle itself. Every maker procuces an occasional run of flaky primers but it's not a valid indication of over-all expectations. I have friends who refuse to hunt with reloads because they don't trust them to go boom while I don't trust factory ammo as much as I do my handloads!

Last edited:
I have nothing but good things to say about it. I got my wife one last season very acurate like 3"-4" groups at 400 yards with a Nikon 3x9-40 BDC sighted it in at 100 and the 400 is right on the money. Bullet performance is is perfact. She killed a giant whitail buck at 143 yards off hand he dropped in his tracks same thing when I got to try it out on a big B-tag doe she never moved. It's just a joy to shoot and it points like A dream 22 bucks a box for shells not bad at all for premium loads. Are you looking to sell. I could use one because I can't pry it out of my wife's hands.

80 rounds for $120 is getting pretty salty. I started reloading in 2002 when I bought a 300RUM and didn't want to pay $2 everytime I pulled the trigger. You certainly don't have a rifle that's affordable to go plinking with at the range and there's nothing wrong with that.

About 16 years ago I had a dud [bad primer] Federal Premium round with a 180 class whitetail [I'd been hunting him for two seasons] in my crosshairs. He heard the click and hightailed it out of there.
I still have nightmares.
I sent Federal the cartridge, told them my story and expressed my disgust.
A few weeks later 10 new boxes of 7 mag premium ammo was delivered to my house.
Maybe it will work for you too.

Sam

It's not the ammo, its the rifle

After sending 20 spent rounds and the two misfires to Hornady, I got a call back. The spacing in the chamber is two big. I called Marlin up they said no problem, we'll send you the paper work to send the gun back and you will have it back in a week. no charge. Good people.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.