Caliber of Choice, 30-06

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by ConservativesUnite, Jan 18, 2009.

1. ConservativesUnite

ConservativesUnite New Member

I am new to the site and have searched the site for topics such as this. I am shopping for a high power longer range rifle and have not decide on caliber or manufacturer so I am not commited to anything at this point. My first caliber choice is 30-06 Sprg simply because of ammo availability and cost. I am not, at this point going to reload to custom specs. I will hunt deer on the open plains of ND and MT.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  2. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

It may not be true for many of the members on this site, but a lot of hunters, world wide, if given the choice of only one rifle to have, it would be the 30.06. You can certainly do well with one to 600 yards. The caveat for you is factory ammo. And, the .06 isn't really known for being a "long range caliber." On the flip side, you can use Lapua brass if and when you decide to roll your own.

My suggestion is to get a 7mm Remington Magnum and be done with it. Now you have a 1000 to 1200 yard rifle. 7mm bullets have better BCs. But again, your shooting will improve with homemade ammo. This caliber isn't picky, shoots well, and you don't need more than a 26" barrel.

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Any of the 7mm,s wil serve you well for your type of hunting.280 rem,7 rem mag,7stw,7WSM
    and the 7RUM.

The choice of 30 cal would be 300WSM,300 Win Mag, 300RUM and 30/378 Weatherby.

All of these choices have factory loaded ammo and are not to hard to get except the biggest
    and most powerful in each caliber.

If you like the 30/06 case then the 280 rem would be a great choice. (A 30/06 necked down
    7mm).

J E CUSTOM

4. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

If you want to have one rifle to start, how far do you want to hunt big game? My guess is the 30-06 will do everything you could want. Inexpensive to shoot, shoots large enough bullets w/ enough power to hunt any animal on the north American continent. Loaded w/ the right bullets you can hunt deer size out to a 1000 yrds no problem. You have the largest selection of bullets available, of any caliber, in the .308.

I am one of the few here that very much like the 30-06. In my opinion the best all-around caliber available.

Steve

5. Derek M.

I'm with you. I love mine and will never part with it.

Mine does very well with the 185 VLD.

6. bowhunthard

bowhunthard Well-Known Member

30-06 is a great all-around gun. If you are serious about using factory ammo, buy either federal premium loads or hornady.

OTHERWISE, the 7mm Rem Mag is a phenomenomal cartridge, you will be able to reach out a lot further, and accuracy may be somewhat better with factory ammo.

Good luck.

7. chucksniper

chucksniper Well-Known Member

bout the OLLLLLL .270 win.

8. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

Another vote for the 7mm Rem Mag. In the .30 caliber area, I'm becoming more and more fond of the little 300WSM every day. The old -06 is a great round, but not as efficient as the newer rounds.

AJ

9. Derek M.

My favorite of all time.

10. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

11. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Hard for me to call a 180g bullet propelled at 2700-2800 fps w/ 55-58g of powder inefficient, or for that matter a 150g bullet at 3000fps. Just too old a caliber to be sexy anymore. Still the most versatile, easy to use, and effective on game cartridge produced. The standard to which every cartridge is compared. Like wool is to synthetics.

Steve

12. chucksniper

chucksniper Well-Known Member

A little less recoil for my medium frame body.

13. was21

was21 Well-Known Member

I can just hear Larry the Cable guy saying....

" 30-06.....It'll Git 'er done!!"

Easy to find ammo in most places with a variety of bullet weights for whatever you are after.

Of course, then there's the 308!!!

Good luck with your choice!

Wes in AZ

14. cva54

cva54 Well-Known Member

I shoot .06 done a LOT of work on it. And a 30.30 mod 94. And agine if only had one rifle I realy dont know 7mm or .06. Thats how I sit. Going to get a 7mm rem mag and then a 270 win. any one want to buy my house? Just get the 7mm rem mag and be done with it. The worst thing about the 7mm is at close range lets say 62 and a 1/2 yards were is that bullet going to go after leaves a deer? By the way what gr. bullet do you all find to work the best in a .06 1 in 10 twist

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009