CA Bedding

bahabill

got a question for ya all .....
I have 2 rifles that i am chasing my butt on finding a good load for.
Christensen Arms ridgeline 6.5 prc
Christensen Arms 300 prc in MPR chassis

I took apart to check the bedding because I have a hard time getting them to shoot better than 1 inch groups. all my other rifles tikka and howa shoot 3/4 all day long with minimal load development and found em quick.
These christensen should shoot better i feel but if i send back they will just say there in spec.....
So the MPR I took apart and found there is no bedding in the chassis AT ALL !!! But there is NO movement in the action with out the action screws so wondering if that is acceptable.

The Ridgeline when disassembled had VERY LITTLE bedding materialaround the screw areas but the lug was filled in and seems tight as well!
Guess my question is this... Would I benifit by doing a better bedding job or do you guys think it is prob good ??
Should I bed the side rail of the actions and do a very light skim coat and rebed it some ???

This is one of those topics where you will see a long list of potential corrections offered. There really isn't any possible way that we can know what the exact problem or combination of problems is without actually putting our hands on it, making adjustments and test shooting it. What might work for one rifle and stock might not work for another combination. It will be the same for you or your gunsmith.

Most manufacturers will not attempt to provide the correct bedding for their rifles. It's too expensive and there are too many variables. They just do a very minimal amount or nothing, leaving the additional work and cost up to you the buyer.

The additional problem here can be a substandard barrel, although having one on each of two separate models would be unusual.

Enjoy the process!

:)

I own a ca and never shot period so finally gave up and didn't want sell it for the reason it didn't shoot so I took to a local smith and had him go through the process of putting another brand barrel on. He called me to let know that the action was not square so he had to machine it before putting my Benchmark barrel on ( NOW IT SHOOTS LIGHTS OUT )
CA JUST ISN'T GOOD AT BUILDING RIFLES!

got a question for ya all .....
I have 2 rifles that i am chasing my butt on finding a good load for.
Christensen Arms ridgeline 6.5 prc
Christensen Arms 300 prc in MPR chassis

I took apart to check the bedding because I have a hard time getting them to shoot better than 1 inch groups. all my other rifles tikka and howa shoot 3/4 all day long with minimal load development and found em quick.
These christensen should shoot better i feel but if i send back they will just say there in spec.....
So the MPR I took apart and found there is no bedding in the chassis AT ALL !!! But there is NO movement in the action with out the action screws so wondering if that is acceptable.

The Ridgeline when disassembled had VERY LITTLE bedding materialaround the screw areas but the lug was filled in and seems tight as well!
Guess my question is this... Would I benifit by doing a better bedding job or do you guys think it is prob good ??
Should I bed the side rail of the actions and do a very light skim coat and rebed it some ???
If your using new scopes, shoot with a known good scope before blaming rifle manufacturer.
I was RSOing when a guy brought up a new CA with a new Razor Gen 2, he chased his tail for a few weeks, I said try a known good scope, he was getting 1 75 to 3 moa with about every factory available. A week before his Colorado guided hunt I suggested again that he try his buddy's Leupold before sending the rifle back. Bam .75 moa with a factory eldx. Vortex overnighted him a new scope. He could have saved weeks of frustration and ammo if he had listened the first time.

Last edited:
Hate to be a downer but my experience with CA is that they'll find a certain lightweight bullet that holds a 3-shot MOA group , tell you it's fine and met their standards, and send it back.

If you decide to bed it may help, but then they likely won't help you through warranty either if you choose to make the mods. I know many guys have had great luck with them, but I will never buy CA again because most new rifles, like the ones that you have mentioned, have easily held under MOA with some decent hand loading. I am just sharing my past experienced- could be just the luck that I have had with them??

If your using a new scopes, shoot with a known good scope before blaming rifle manufacturer.
I was RSOing when a guy brought up a new CA with a new Razor Gen 2, he chased his tail for a few weeks, I said try a known good scope, 1 75 to 3 moa with about every factory available. A week before his Colorado guided hunt I suggested again that he try his buddy's Leupold before sending the rifle back. Bam .75 moa with a factory eldx. Vortex overnighted him a new scope. He could have saved weeks of frustration and ammo if he had listened the first time.
Agreed- checking scopes and mounts is a good idea before diving into other areas.

Agreed- checking scopes and mounts is a good idea before diving into other areas.
It's the scope, mounts, action screws most of the time. THEN look at the barrel and maybe the trigger, or bench set up or even shooter. Hard to say from the couch. I've got or seen about a half dozen bad new scopes though. All Athlons or Vortex. Not a dig on them, I still would buy Vortex. Never assume a new scope works.

Guys I can get the gun too shoot right around 1 MOA to 1.25 and I got the ridgeline to shoot 3/4 with scirocco 2 bullets. I just can't em to shoot well with either and burgers or eldx or elem for a longer consistent shot. Being I hunt in AZ with these all of not lost shots range in the 400 plus range and a lot of over 600 yard shots. Just looking for a good long range bullet to work . So I know gun can do it and my scopes and mounts have been check multiple times and swapped from guns that shoot .5 all day long so I know they work .
Just wandering if getting a good bedding would help. I know I'm reaching being action don't move and tight fit. Just really shocked the MPR had no bedding at all.

Maybe you guys can tell me another good long range in 300 prc bullet in the 200 - 225 gr range. Need for elk and maybe travel to nw for moose if me and my brother get it this year

Guys I can get the gun too shoot right around 1 MOA to 1.25 and I got the ridgeline to shoot 3/4 with scirocco 2 bullets. I just can't em to shoot well with either and burgers or eldx or elem for a longer consistent shot. Being I hunt in AZ with these all of not lost shots range in the 400 plus range and a lot of over 600 yard shots. Just looking for a good long range bullet to work . So I know gun can do it and my scopes and mounts have been check multiple times and swapped from guns that shoot .5 all day long so I know they work .
Just wandering if getting a good bedding would help. I know I'm reaching being action don't move and tight fit. Just really shocked the MPR had no bedding at all.
I bed all my actions, and scope bases. So yeah, absolutely. Both.

Scope bases are overlooked, this pic shows the gap in between the action and base. Bed it.
20210205_195416.jpg

Maybe you guys can tell me another good long range in 300 prc bullet in the 200 - 225 gr range. Need for elk and maybe travel to nw for moose if me and my brother get it this year
200 gr LRX with hot load (78 grs) of H1000 at 50 thou jump. That load shot .6 in my 300 wm Rem 700 LR. So a prc load would be close, probably? But I'd do a latter up to 79 grs to be safe, find max(maybe) and look for speed node to start at. I'd start at 45 thou and work longer for jump. Somewhere between 45 and 55 thou jump Is where I've found the LRX to like in a 300 wm and a 270 wsm.