Bedding

I don't know if there is such a thing as "the best" when it comes to bedding compound but all of mine have been bed with marine-tex and I know a lot of gunsmiths use it. I'm sure there are other materials that work well also, but marine-tex is one of the most popular bedding compounds.

Started years ago with acraglas, then Devcon1010, last 3 with marine-tex.
Marine-tex is not suppose to shrink over time but couldn't prove it by me.
Devcon1010 and marine-tex is what I would use both worked great for me.

I'm a devcon guy. Tried the marinetex, devcon titanium and now back to normal devcon 10110. They all work so pick one and figure it out. Any shrinkage issued can be remedied with a form of elastic on the barrel while curing. Let us know how it goes

Another vote for devcon. I jist bedded another one with it tonight.
20181229_191636.jpg
20181229_191613.jpg

Devcon is great. Marine Tex has been shown to shrink the least over time in several long term tests. Cody how are you cleaning up after? That is very clean.

Devcon is great. Marine Tex has been shown to shrink the least over time in several long term tests. Cody how are you cleaning up after? That is very clean.
Where did you find those tests? I'd like to see them because there should be no shrinkage after curing.

Where did you find those tests? I'd like to see them because there should be no shrinkage after curing.
I'll dig it up when I get a second. The test was done by a well known benchrest rifle builder. All most all compounds shrink over time.

I'll dig it up when I get a second. The test was done by a well known benchrest rifle builder. All most all compounds shrink over time.
The msds for all the devcon products list the shrinkage but do not list a long term after curing time shrinkage. You have me interested. Thanks

I read the same article, I've got guns that have been bedded with Devcon 1010 for I dont know 5 years and I cant tell any difference in accuracy from the day I first shot it untill recently.
I ask myself can I shoot the difference so far I havent seen it that's why I started bedding some with marine-tex to see if I could.

Simple. Use any compound designed for bedding. There are other products that are used, but quality and use will be diminished over the compounds designed for Bedding.

Difficulty of application, Ability to stay in place while it is curing, Pot life and heat input all have a bearing on the quality and longevity of a bedding compound. price also has an effect on quality. so even if the price is a little higher, this is not the place to cut corners to save a few dollars. the added quality and performance will more than offset any savings over time.

Shrinkage is of some concern and only time will tell if it occurred. If it is a good compound, it should be tight fitting and last many years.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.