Bore Tech Proof Positive Bore Stix experience?

We have tiptons but I recently picked up a gun slick that I like better than the Tipton (on the handle anyway) because the tiptons back button where you usually pust is directly attached to the rod so if you push there the jag does not follow the lands... High priced rods for such a rookie mistake. My new gun slick doesn't have this issue but by no means is it a high priced unit.

Thanks for checking out our shooting. Lots of practice and a great teacher/spotter made all those shots possible. I was actually preping brass for reloading with dad and got to thinking. The first three emptys in the case I knew were the last three of load development with the 230gr tactical hybrid otm Berger when it first came out and therest of the 38 had put something in a freezer. The gun has a pretty good record going....gun)
I would say!!

I also had the tipton and thats the one that broke, so i ordered these.

I would say!!

I also had the tipton and thats the one that broke, so i ordered these.

Riley, if you broke a rod, and it was not defective, or too small for the caliber, maybe you should look into these things. One, was the patch and jag combo too tight? Two, were you flexing the rod with sideways pressure?

Proper cleaning strokes are something we need to practice. They should be a little firm but not hard to push through. Also, try to keep the rod aligned with bore center all the time for a smooth slow stroke. Once you get the feel for this you will be able to actually feel what is still in the bore and where. Plus many times you can hear the spots that are clean as well as dirty.

Just a suggestion.

Jeff

Riley, if you broke a rod, and it was not defective, or too small for the caliber, maybe you should look into these things. One, was the patch and jag combo too tight? Two, were you flexing the rod with sideways pressure?

Proper cleaning strokes are something we need to practice. They should be a little firm but not hard to push through. Also, try to keep the rod aligned with bore center all the time for a smooth slow stroke. Once you get the feel for this you will be able to actually feel what is still in the bore and where. Plus many times you can hear the spots that are clean as well as dirty.

Just a suggestion.

Jeff

Great info Jeff!

I've had trouble with them coming apart if I had to tap a stuck patch through.

The Montana Extreme design is a stronger design in this regard I think:

Products « Montana X-Treme

How in the world did you have the Boretech rod come apart? They are one piece. If you get a patch stuck (luckily I never have) just unscrew the boretech rod and get one of your older rods and screw it in if you have to hit it.

You shouldn't judge a rod by those kind of criteria. It wasn't built to be smacked with something.

Just a suggestion.

Jeff
It was a tipton 22 cal rod that i used to clean all my rifles, including the 338 Lapua. The rod didnt snap when was pushing a patch through, i was drying the solvent off and the rag caught on the jag and i was going to fast and it snapped as i pulled the rag down. Now i ordered all the correct sizes in the bore tech rods that i need.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.