Bore Tech Eliminator

I have been trying to clean my barrel for the last few weeks. I can run Butch's through it (set 10-15 min) and it comes out clean. If I let the Boretech sit over night the patches come out very blue. Is this a false positive with a brass jag or is my barrel that dirty? I have run about 10 patches a night for 3-4 nights per week for 5 weeks now, letting the barrel soak overnight with boretech. My barrel was dirty, but I do not believe it could be this dirty.

I would say your barrel is that dirty. That just shows that BTE will clean deeper than the Butches! You need to keep at it. If your running a dry patch down the barrel after letting the bore tech sit over night then that is copper fouling not the jag. Some barrels just foul that much. More so if they were never broken in properly. How many rounds do you have through it before you cleaned it last? If you have lets say 50 rounds then thats a lot of copper. If you have a 100, well there you go. The key is to get it to the point that there is absolutly no copper left in the barrel and do a break in. Thats right a break in! Once you fire enough rounds with out cleaning, it just keep building. If I had a rifle that was that fouled, I would use David Tubbs final finish and follow it up with his TMS system. You would be able to shoot more rounds before needing to clean and when you did clean it, it would clean up 100 times faster. And foreget about what you hear that the Tubbs system will shorten the life of a barrel in fact just the oposite, it will extend the life of your barrel. Not cleaning the copper fouling will ruin a barrels accuracy a lot faster. You just need to make sure you follow his instruction to a tee thats all.

WRG

Last edited:
I was wonder the same thing. I've read some good reports on it but I also read that it is not as good as Wipeout.

I'm ordering soem Wipeout from Midway since I cant get it locally (haven't seen it on SW shelves for months) When I get some Wipe out I'll probablly try both to compare them.

-MR

I've been using wipeout and gunslick but can't say one is any better than the other. AT least as far as powder fouling is concerned. One product doesn't leave anything behind for the other. They both appear to do a better job than Hoppe's #9 though. Bear in mind this is in a factory barrel.

I spoke with one of the guys at Bore Tech today and have a good supply of Bore Tech Eliminator, C4, and CUT2 on the way. They are able to ship USPS to Alaska. Thanks much for the info. I was very impressed, these guys are great to work with. I also have a nickel jag set ordered from Midway so I'm all set to give the 7 RUM barrel a good cleaning. I also have a .22/250 which was stolen from my folks place. I had left it with them for safe keeping about 30 years ago. It was returned to me a couple years ago by the local law enforcement and I brought it up from Idaho to Alaska. I've had it refinished, synthetic stock, trigger job and Leupold scope added but it hasn't shot as accurately as when I was a kid. I have a hunch the barrel wasn't cleaned properly and it's fouled very badly. I'll give the Bore Tech a try and see if it's as good as I'm told.
Thanks again, much appreciated.
Doug in AK

I would say your barrel is that dirty. That just shows that BTE will clean deeper than the Butches! You need to keep at it. If your running a dry patch down the barrel after letting the bore tech sit over night then that is copper fouling not the jag...

This may be true, but he will know for sure if he uses a nickel platted jag. :) If he's using a brass jag in the process of wet patching it, he will be leaving blue residue in the bore which will be picked up a dry patch.

-MR

I would like to recomend TM Solutions.
This is all I have been using. It takes care of removing both carbon and copper. I don't use a brush, just patches. After cleaning, lite coat of gunoil in the barrel. I have a neighbor with a bore scope, and check my barrel every once in awhile. It always checks out perfectly clean with TM Solutions.
Very happy with this product.

I also have a .22/250 which was stolen from my folks place. I had left it with them for safe keeping about 30 years ago. It was returned to me a couple years ago by the local law enforcement and I brought it up from Idaho to Alaska. I've had it refinished, synthetic stock, trigger job and Leupold scope added but it hasn't shot as accurately as when I was a kid. I have a hunch the barrel wasn't cleaned properly and it's fouled very badly. I'll give the Bore Tech a try and see if it's as good as I'm told.
Thanks again, much appreciated.
Doug in AK

My cleaning supplies and equipment finally arrived and I've been working on the .22/250 barrel all morning. I've been using Bore Tech CU+2 and Eliminator. The blue color on the patches is starting to fade some but occasionally when I look down the bore I notice some kind of crap in the bore, always at the chamber end. At first I thought it was threads from the Tipton patches but I also have some Outters patches that are made from another material and don't have the threads. Same thing with them. Could this be the liquid cleaner I'm seeing or just more fowling being removed? After running about every other patch the bore looks smooth and clean. Have any of you guys experienced this?

Doug,

More than likely it is fouling that is loosing up but remember just keep it in perspective. You may want to read this by a gentleman I have the a lot of repect for. You can make your own decision from there. You may also want to go to the home page and check out the rest of this site as it has a lot of good information by a ton people with a ton of experience. What this cleaning thing really boils down to is just like anything else to do with firearms you need to find what works best for your particular rifle.

Barrel Cleaning Common Sense

WRG

Doug, I dont know what that is you're seeing. maybe some excess residue from the solvent where it gets squeezed going into the lands?

I usually finish my cleaning session with a shot of Gun Scrubber down the bore followed by a Gun Scrubber soaked patch then a dry patch to clean out any excess residue. Then it's a good idea to coat the bore with a protective lube like Kroil.

-MR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts