Bore Tech Eliminator

LOL
Definate teaser

"That's a good Idea! Would you mind sharing your findings and what products you tested?"

Do you also perform stress tests for the banking system?

Also it appears that nothing replaces TIME?

Also why use cotton patches when you can use BOUNTY PT?
IT'S THE QUICKER PICKER UPPER

Funny all I have used is,

Hoppes once in a great while sit over night
sweets once in a great while
Eliminator Primary
wipe-out Primary
break-free Just parts

haven't tried the 50 BMG STUFF

Last edited:
I did not post my test method to anger anyone, or indorse any product. The jackets on your bullets may be different than mine, however; I can tell you J&B bore cleaner will really get the stuff out of your bore. It is a very mild abrasive, but it used by the bench rest crowd all the time. If you think your bore is clean, or you think your bore cleaner has "really got the job done", run a patch 8-10 times with some J&B through your bore. You'll find out in a hurry if your chemical is working, and if all the claims made on the bottle are true or not. I have had very good luck over the years with RBC, still have a couple of gal. cans and J&B. I like leaving a light coat of CLP in the bore, as it is cleaning "all the time" (DOD requirement), run a clean cotton patch through bore to remove prior to go to the range. Regarding patches, I have found the cotton knit, not cotton weave make the best patches-same material found in your 100%cotton T-shirt. They are absorbent and do not scratch. Lastly, J&B has several high quaity competitors, I'd bet they are also very good. I use J&B because I've used it for so long with good results, I see no reason to change.

I did not post my test method to anger anyone, or indorse any product.

I wasn't taken a poke at ya! I was truly curious. I love reading about anyone's first hand experience with any product and appreciate the time it takes to test. What you find may not work for everyone but defiantly will for "some". I am usually the "some" looking for the "best bag for the buck" and not always the absolute "best". This hobby gets spendy in a hurry!:)

I have been trying to clean my barrel for the last few weeks. I can run Butch's through it (set 10-15 min) and it comes out clean. If I let the Boretech sit over night the patches come out very blue. Is this a false positive with a brass jag or is my barrel that dirty? I have run about 10 patches a night for 3-4 nights per week for 5 weeks now, letting the barrel soak overnight with boretech. My barrel was dirty, but I do not believe it could be this dirty.

I have been trying to clean my barrel for the last few weeks. I can run Butch's through it (set 10-15 min) and it comes out clean. If I let the Boretech sit over night the patches come out very blue. Is this a false positive with a brass jag or is my barrel that dirty? I have run about 10 patches a night for 3-4 nights per week for 5 weeks now, letting the barrel soak overnight with boretech. My barrel was dirty, but I do not believe it could be this dirty.

In my factory barrel I do have to leave solvents in it overnight to get it all out. Is there left over fluid being pushed out blue? If it is that's not a false positive. If your patch just has a hint of blue on it that may be.

Some of these guys with aftermarket barrels get them clean in a short period. I have no aftermarket barrels and my factory barrels all take substantial effort to get completely clean. A wise man from Idaho once told me "there's no free lunch". I think he's right.

I have been using the BTE for awhile now. I called Bore tech last week and spoke with one of the tech's there (Jesse) and asked him what it is exactly I should see during the cleaning process. He said, when shooting copper jacketed bullets if you have cleaned regularly right from the begining, the first two-three patches should have brownish /black with blueish /green color depending on just how copper /carbon fouled the barrel is. Brownish /black being the carbon and blueish/green the copper. Then run a nylon brush "not brass" soaked in (BTE) for 10 strocks and let set for 10 -15 minutes. Run a minimum of 2 dry patches and if you still see rifle fouling after the second patch a "dark blue" color repeat the steps and it should come out the barrel with a white patch. If using a brass patch jag, there should only be a ring of blueish / green where the patch touches the jag. He told me that in 2-3 weeks they are coming out with a new type of jag "different material" to combat this problem.

As far as other cleaners, I have use them all just like many of you here and most of the ones that did a fair to good job all had 5 % ammonia. That will raise havak with any rifle that has fiberglass bedding or ruin the finish on a nice wood stock and will eat away at the throat of any barrel. You should always use a bore guide to help keep it from leaching into the action.

For those who don't know, every time you fire a round a copper layer and a carbon layer is laid down the barrel. Whats nice about BTE is it works on both where as most "not all" other cleaner work on one or the other but not both. Hopps # 9 comes to mind as one that does. I have found over the many years of owning numerous firearms that unless you have a match grade barrel, Stainless steel "OR" a properly broken in barrel, cleaning is alot easier. Most barrels, "your factory hunting rifles" that are not broken in properly almost always clean up hard. That's one reason why the breakin is so important. Those barrels need to be what's called "Home Registered". Any barrel that is will be more accurate for life of the barrel and foul a lot less.

I said that all in one breath! Take it for what it's worth.

WRG

You guys have convinced me to give Bore Tech and Wipe-Out a try. I tried to place an order online at Midway and found the only way to ship aerosols and sprays is by UPS Ground which won't work for shipping to me here in Alaska. Midway is closed until Monday morning so I was unable to call them. I've checked several sporting goods stores here locally and cannot find these two products. Any ideas?
Thanks

Bore Tech doesn't come as a aerosol so that wouldn't be a problem. I would order it straight through the BT website. They are a great bunch of guys there and are very helpfull.

WRG

Bore Tech doesn't come as a aerosol so that wouldn't be a problem. I would order it straight through the BT website. They are a great bunch of guys there and are very helpfull.

WRG

Thanks much I'll give them a call. Perhaps Midway considers it a solvent which I think requires the same Haz-Mat shipping. As for the Wipe-Out, I guess I'm out of luck. I have seen Gunslick foaming bore cleaner at Sportsmans Warehouse so it might be the best I can do up here.

I've found and purchased WipeOut at the Anchorage Sportsman's Warehouse on three different occassions. Buy they've not had any on the shelves at least five other times I've checked. So it seems to be a hit or miss item.

I use KG Products KG-1 and KG-12 and they work very well - to the point I almost solely use them now. I tried to solicit some comparison from members who might have tried both the KG products and the Bore Tech Eliminator, but none who read the threads/posts commented back on a direct comparison. My KG products were mailed to Alaska via USPS.

Last edited:
I'm in Wasilla but it seems they stock the same items as the stores in Anchorage and Fairbanks. I'll keep checking with them and will give Midway a call on Monday to see if there is a way to get the Wipe-Out up here. I also plan to give the guys at Bore Tech a call and see what I can work out.

Have any of you tried Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner?

... If I let the Boretech sit over night the patches come out very blue. Is this a false positive with a brass jag or is my barrel that dirty? I have run about 10 patches a night for 3-4 nights per week for 5 weeks now, letting the barrel soak overnight with boretech. My barrel was dirty, but I do not believe it could be this dirty.

I think this is probably a false positive. Boretech is extremely effective on copper. Almost instantaneously. Try this experiment... soak a patch with Boretech and plase it on a brass jag. Take your thumb and fingers and squeeze then on the patch and slide them down over the parch and jag. You will see a good amout of blue show up on the patch.

I have converted to plastic jags until I can get a nickel plated jag when patching Boretech through my barrel.

-MR

Have any of you tried Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner?

I was wondering the same thing. I've read some good reports on it but I also read that it is not as good as Wipeout.

I'm ordering soem Wipeout from Midway since I cant get it locally (haven't seen it on SW shelves for months) When I get some Wipe out I'll probablly try both to compare them.

-MR

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.