Big Game Rifle Caliber?

The OP doesn't handload yet, and wants a long range capable caliber and long range capable factory ammo, until ge starts handloading.

CC, buy whichever one YOU want. Either caliber will be fine. The war will always rage on around here...Don't worry about what we think. LOL
There's a good bit of Nosler Factory Ammo about for the 300WM loaded with both regular accubonds and the ALR's so missing out on Berger's for the 300WM isn't a big deal.

your right mud they're both good rounds that will do what they're asked with in there limits but I think factory ammo is not a good choice for long range but I don't consider gunwerks,best of the west,or comparable ammo as factory ammo it seems to be taylored to their rifle throats but some of us are lucky and it works for us but it also doesn't work for alot of rifles and at 75$ for 20 round in 3006 its not worth it when I can find a hand load for less than half the $. Especially if my handloads are custom to my rifle, so I think, if your going long, reloading is part of the equation if you don't your at mercy to what you can buy and its not always available on the shelf...

No arguement from me...Handloading was the best thing I ever did for my shooting. Plus the price of loading ammo is so cheap, I can load $150 a box ammo for $1.00 each or less (if I already have brass), not to mention it allows me to have my Ackleys.

If the OP already handloaded, I would tell him to get a 7mm STW. $1.00 a round vs $4.00 a round sure makes owning one justifiable to me. Of course, I bought mine 12 years ago, back when ammo that was $32.99 a box was expensive. :D

I've killed truck loads of critters with factory ammo beyond 400yds.
good,I hope you continue with your good luck at 400yrds and beyond but I have also but when I get to 600 and beyond I'm not getting their with WalMart ammo and I'm not giving 75$ a box for good enough ammo

There's a good bit of Nosler Factory Ammo about for the 300WM loaded with both regular accubonds and the ALR's so missing out on Berger's for the 300WM isn't a big deal.

After shooting animals with both Nosler and Bergers (and many many others in the past), the Accubonds and Bergers are my 2 favorite. And if Barnes were to make a solid copper VLD that would be sick, too. But they don't.

The Bergers have proven to me after this last season just how hard they really hit and how much energy actually can be displaced into the game you're shooting.

The animals shot with Nosler Accubonds didn't run too far. But the ones shot with the Berger VLD's ran even less... And one didn't take a step and just flopped over. :D

good,I hope you continue with your good luck at 400yrds and beyond but I have also but when I get to 600 and beyond I'm not getting their with WalMart ammo and I'm not giving 75$ a box for good enough ammo
If you find a load that works for your rifle, it really doesn't matter where it came from and again, he specified that factory ammo is a must.

Most people and rig's cant' shoot better than their ammo anyhow and factory ammo is a good cost effective way to built up a good stock of fire formed brass for when they do get to where they are ready to dive into loading.

A guy laying out a grand or more for his first rig usually isn't also able to lay out over a grand to get started reloading either.

I've never seen factory stuff shoot better than a custom tuned load for a given rifle but it's usually not too hard to find Ammo that won't shoot beyond the capabilities and equipment of someone just getting started.

I've killed truck loads of critters with factory ammo beyond 400yds.

If you find a load that works for your rifle, it really doesn't matter where it came from and again, he specified that factory ammo is a must.

Most people and rig's cant' shoot better than their ammo anyhow and factory ammo is a good cost effective way to built up a good stock of fire formed brass for when they do get to where they are ready to dive into loading.

A guy laying out a grand or more for his first rig usually isn't also able to lay out over a grand to get started reloading either.

I've never seen factory stuff shoot better than a custom tuned load for a given rifle but it's usually not too hard to find Ammo that won't shoot beyond the capabilities and equipment of someone just getting started.
if factory ammo is a must and you're shooting long range its not going to be cost effective for brass because it will have to be premium factory ammo like noseler or Winchester supreme or Norma etc. Its expensive and once you find yourself one that works you better buy 200 rounds if they have it because it might not always be available. And I got started reloading for about 350$ not 1000$

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
Either way its a lose lose situation for me....everyone has their own specific opinions on the fine details. If I go with a 300 WM I should have gone with the 7mm...if I go with the 7mm I should have gone with the 300 WM.

You can't really "Lose" with either one. The 300wm just offers you more potential to stretch it out on bigger critters as your skills increase.

Amen to that!

You CAN find factory 7mm ammo with Berger 180 VLD's. But you won't find factory .300 WM ammo with Berger 210's to shoot at distance till he reloads.

Sorry but you're dead wrong, HSM loads the .210gr Berger VLD (stock# BER-300WM210VLD pg 49 of 62 on HSM ammunition product list) and you get directly them from HSM or Trophy Goldlightbulb

if factory ammo is a must and you're shooting long range its not going to be cost effective for brass because it will have to be premium factory ammo like noseler or Winchester supreme or Norma etc. Its expensive and once you find yourself one that works you better buy 200 rounds if they have it because it might not always be available. And I got started reloading for about 350$ not 1000$
Unless I'm shooting at prairie dog sized critters, I don't consider 400yds to be long range. Neither do any of the accomplished shooters I know. That starts around 600yds for most of us.

Never did I suggest shooting cheap crap. Rarely will cheap crap perform well in any rifle. I did specify finding a load that works in your rifle.

I agree, once I found a load that would perform well, I always bought in bulk.

Yes you can start loading on the cheap but then that kind of defeats the purpose of reloading since precision takes quality equipment all the way around.

Unless I'm shooting at prairie dog sized critters, I don't consider 400yds to be long range. Neither do any of the accomplished shooters I know. That starts around 600yds for most of us.

Never did I suggest shooting cheap crap. Rarely will cheap crap perform well in any rifle. I did specify finding a load that works in your rifle.

I agree, once I found a load that would perform well, I always bought in bulk.

Yes you can start loading on the cheap but then that kind of defeats the purpose of reloading since precision takes quality equipment all the way around.
so your saying that my rcbs press and bonanza beam scale is not precise enough for loading longrange ammo well I say your wrong and I bet others will also and your method of getting brass through shooting expensive premium ammo is not cost effective. For the 50$ a box for 20 rounds you pay to get you to your range I can load about 100rounds that I would bet that can group better at 800yrds than your "universal one size fits all factory ammo" and I would do it all on my cheap rcbs press,rcbs dies and bonanza beam scale

I shot a bucket load of HSM in .260 and .220 Swift and was pretty impressed with it.

I agree! I've tried their 185 Berger and 178 A-Max and am very pleased with it. My friend currently use the 180 Berger in his 7MM Rem Mag and also pleased with it. He harvested a bull elk last year at 300 yards.

Here a review from the link I provided ...

rating rating rating rating rating
Great load
jeff bickel (pompano beach, FL) 4/16/2012 1:22 PM
Performed well at 1000 yards in a standard chamber such as a Remington 700LA PSS hitting 10" steel every shot. However, did not perform as well in a match chamber. Only fired one round and case was stuck very tight and bolt could not retract. Perhaps brass is a bit soft without sufficient spring-back due to the tighter tolerances. Not effected in standard chamber. Overall, maintains 1 MOA or less even at 1000.

I agree! I've tried their 185 Berger and 178 A-Max and am very pleased with it. My friend currently use the 180 Berger in his 7MM Rem Mag and also pleased with it. He harvested a bull elk last year at 300 yards.

Here a review from the link I provided ...
that sounds like some good ammo wonder how much $ for 7rm,300wm and 3006?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.