Big Game Rifle Caliber?

CC- they arw getting off topic. wonsder if the sako 85 long range is out yet? also too bad the tikka varmint in 300 win mag onky goes to canand/your rope. .

CC- they arw getting off topic. wonsder if the sako 85 long range is out yet? also too bad the tikka varmint in 300 win mag onky goes to canand/your rope. .

Yea I will probably start a thread sometime on actually choosing the rifle. I am guessing anything Sako is going to be way out of my price range, but I could be wrong.

Yea I will probably start a thread sometime on actually choosing the rifle. I am guessing anything Sako is going to be way out of my price range, but I could be wrong.
The aftermarket is not very strong with any of the foreign brands, if you are wanting to possibly customize later on down the road. Just an FYI heads-up. Even Browning has very little aftermarket support. Same goes for the Ruger 77 rifles.

Remington 700 and Savage are about the 2 main brands with the largest aftermarket following.

The aftermarket is not very strong with any of the foreign brands, if you are wanting to possibly customize later on down the road. Just an FYI heads-up. Even Browning has very little aftermarket support. Same goes for the Ruger 77 rifles.

Remington 700 and Savage are about the 2 main brands with the largest aftermarket following.

What about Tikka? I love my Tikka T3 Lite. I have heard from a few people to stay away from some of the priceline Remington 700's (meaning $400-$500 range) as their quality control has gone down the drain. I am not sure how true this is?

The Remington 700 Long Range does looks very nice, but it is also 9lbs. I guess with a good backpack it wouldn't be too bad to hunt with. I know Savage is great as well.

i paid 495 for my last sendero on auctionarms ; rediculous. but it was a blued , not fluted. i think the tikka varmints are 8,75 but they aren't imported. the long range is new i have not tried. they look great. little heavy. if you know a gunsmith you like you can biuld a sendero cheaper than buy . 400 action , 200 stock and (300+150) barrel ( 100 more for flutes).

What about Tikka? I love my Tikka T3 Lite. I have heard from a few people to stay away from some of the priceline Remington 700's (meaning $400-$500 range) as their quality control has gone down the drain. I am not sure how true this is?

The Remington 700 Long Range does looks very nice, but it is also 9lbs. I guess with a good backpack it wouldn't be too bad to hunt with. I know Savage is great as well.
Nothing wrong with the Tikkas, but if you are wanting to really customize the rifle, the 2 options that have the most aftermarket support are Remington and Savage.

The cheaper Remingtons are not what I would buy for an "out of the box" gun. The only reason I would buy an ADL is to immediately rip it apart and use JUST the action. Everything else (trigger, barrel, stock, ADL mag setup, etc...) would all be thrown in the junk pile. Literally all I want is the bolt and receiver housing with the serial number on it. Then I'll proceed to build a custom rifle off of it, once everything is trued, slicked, and worked-over.

If you get an upper-end model like a Sendero, or 5R MilSpec, they should be shooters right out of the box. All of mine were. I have been told the new 700 Long Range is a shooter. I mean, if anything to justify the price, the rifle comes with a $300 B&C Medalist stock already on it, and a 26" heavy barrel. So, it has potential right out of the gate. I plan on getting one in .25-06, and opening it up to .25-06 AI (You can never have too many :D ), or 7mm RemMag and using it for LR hunting on powerlines and hill-top to hill-top shooting. Spend $70 on an EGW 20MOA base, $120 on some Seekins rings, and $629 on a Vortex HS-T 6-24x50 on top and it should be ready to rock. I just got a few things I got to sell first.

My local store has a couple of the new 700 LR on order, so I got to have money put aside for when it does come in. They're supposed to call me when their first one arrives.

My smith charges me such a good price, that I'll take a chance on a $699 rifle. Because I know that even if it doesn't shoot 100% out of the box, I will have it worked over and still be in a custom rifle for under $1000. :D

As much as I would love to have tons of money to spend on a custom rifle I just don't have that. However, give me a year when I graduate with my Mechanical Engineering degree and I may very well have that kind of money to build up custom rifles :D.

For now if I can spend $600 - $800 for a Remington Long Range, a Savage, or a Tikka and have it shoot well out of the box then I will do that.

Like I said I will start another thread on actual gun selection sometime soon as this thread is already 14 pages long.

Although I am from Scottsdale (so I should be a Sun Devil) I actually go to Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff. I may very well get a Master's in Business or Master's in Aerospace Engineering at ASU sometime down the road though.

NAU is a very good school and nice location. However, I'm sorry that you're a Sun Devil. ... just kidding, my wife and my youngest son (senior this year) are Wildcats-- BEAR DOWN!:cool:

Although I am from Scottsdale (so I should be a Sun Devil) I actually go to Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff. I may very well get a Master's in Business or Master's in Aerospace Engineering at ASU sometime down the road though.

CC- some great choices there. i will PM you. you do not say if you want/ prefer ---- wood or sythetic stock or blue/stainless finish on your rifle ( when you start that thread). my adl wood from 1968 shoots great , however i do not expect my sporters to be 688 yard rifles. my 300 wm model 70 super grade is shoots as good as it looks. a remington CDL is another attractive rifle. i assume you want more funtional . for the money a long range 700 would get my nod ( and i will have one as soon as a sell a couple. it is not fluted so it is heavier) or a sendero or a weatherby accumark they are both more money. deciding between sporter weights like the tikka, vanguard and 700 i can not say that it matters. i do not have a vanguard or tikka, and i don't expect my sako and 700's sporters to go to 688 yds . i have senderos. so i don't try.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.