Big Game Rifle Caliber?

I wouldn't even run 168s in a 300wm you would be selling yourself short I think a 180 would be on the small size I think 200gr. And up for the 300wm anything lighter I would use in my 3006 even then I don't like anything lighter than 180s

As you can see, it's always a contest between us 7mm shooters, and the .30 cal and up groups.

A 7mm RemMag with a 168 or 180 Berger is more than enough to kill everything on the continent. Not necessarily at super long distances compared to other calibers like the 7mm STW, 7RUM, or any of the bigger calibers. But inside of 1K yards, with an accurate rifle and an experienced shooter...It's dead.

I have all kinds of calibers from .17 up to .45-70...But my 3 favorites are .25, 7mm, & .30 caliber.

You can find factory HSM ammo with the Berger 168 VLD's and 180 VLD's.

HSM Trophy Gold Ammo 7mm Remington Mag 168 Grain Berger Hunting VLD

HSM Trophy Gold Ammo 7mm Remington Mag 180 Grain Berger Hunting VLD

Add one more vote for the 300 WinMag. My son's Rem 700 with a 3X9X50mm scope & sling tips the scale at exactly 8 1/2 pounds. Recoil is about as much fun as most people can handle and still hit at long range. He was raised on hard kicking guns so recoil is not a problem for him. I just don't care.

This is going to come down to how much recoil you want to handle. For friends that have 7mm RemMags they shoot very well because it is under their tolerance threshold. But if you can do more the 300 WinMag will deliver more- but not a lot more.

As you have noticed there are a lot of members who recommend bigger stuff. Believe me if you can they will do wonders at range. Eventually your going there anyway...

KB

Add one more vote for the 300 WinMag. My son's Rem 700 with a 3X9X50mm scope & sling tips the scale at exactly 8 1/2 pounds. Recoil is about as much fun as most people can handle and still hit at long range. He was raised on hard kicking guns so recoil is not a problem for him. I just don't care.

This is going to come down to how much recoil you want to handle. For friends that have 7mm RemMags they shoot very well because it is under their tolerance threshold. But if you can do more the 300 WinMag will deliver more- but not a lot more.

As you have noticed there are a lot of members who recommend bigger stuff. Believe me if you can they will do wonders at range. Eventually your going there anyway...

KB

Well let me put it this way. I shot my friend's new Remington Sendero in 300 ULTRA MAG in the prone position. Recoil was not bad to me at all and that was with no muzzle brake. The Sendero weighs 8.5 lbs.

Personally I don't think you would go wrong with a 7mmRemMag or a 300WinMag. I debated this myself not long ago but I ended up choosing to have a 300WinMag built.

Yea I don't plan on ever hunting anything at greater than 1000 yards!

In that case, would the 7 Mag have the advantage?

The Berger 7mm 168 VLD has better BC than the Berger .30 168 VLD.

If you are shooting inside of 1K and deer/elk sized game, the 7mm RM should be more than enough rifle.

Out to 750 or so, I'd even say even the small 7mm-08 would be enough cartridge with 168's or 180's out of a 26" 1:9 barrel, and a healthy charge of slow burning powder. It uses the same parent case as the .308 Win.

My .308 shooting heavy-for-caliber bullets (210 Bergers) will still hold 1498 fps and 1047 ft.lbs. of energy, and drops 205" @ 750 yards. More than enough to take down anything on your list. Might not be the fastest or flattest shooting but it would certainly get the job done.

To give you a comparrison, my 7mm RM pushing a Berger 168 VLD @ 750 is at 1996 fps, and 1487 ft.lbs. of energy, and drops 118" from a 100 yard zero.

Go with the 300win. The extra range will be there as you are able to extend it with practice and the difference in recoil is not significant enough to justify the 7mm. That is the only thing the 7mm has over the 300win, and truthfully I think you would have a hard time figuring out which one is which if you shot them blindfolded, let alone when you are shooting at an animal and your heart rate is up. If you can handle an unbraked 300 RUM, you are fine with the 300win.

The Berger 7mm 168 VLD has better BC than the Berger .30 168 VLD.

And the 6.5 140gr Berger VLD has a better BC than the Berger 7mm 140. That doesn't matter! Why? Because if you want the best BC, you are not going to use lightweight bullets. I cannot believe that we keep seeing that comment...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts