Your states minimum caliber for big game?

Precision hunter

Formerly 'ijemerson'
I'm curious what the differences are between the states for the minimum caliber for rifle hunting big game and what would be the smallest caliber you could use to hunt big game in all states that allow centerfire rifle hunting. Could you gents tell me the ones you know for sure that are currently legal minimums?

The ones I know are:
WV: 22 Cal centerfire
VA: 6mm/24 Cal centerfire

I don't believe AZ has a minimum caliber restriction for Centerfire rifles for big game hunting. No mention in RS-4-304 of caliber minimums for method of take.

Indiana is quite the joke... try to follow along, this is for deer...

Rifles for PUBLIC LAND: , must fire a bullet .357" or larger with a case measuring between 1.16" min. To max of 1.8"

Rifles for PRIVATE LAND: must fire bullet .243" or larger, minimum Case length 1.16" max of 3" and you CAN NOT have more than 10 rounds in your possession.

Handguns: (for public land OR private) must fire a bullet at least .243" or larger with a minimum case length of 1.16 with NO MAX length. (There is NO mention of ammunition allowed to be in possession with handgun)

"The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches. A rifle with a barrel less than 18 inches is not considered a handgun."——

^^ this is direct from our regulation book. How does one even define this?

So to me, I built a 6.5 grendel with a 15 3/4" barrel and a .300 BO (10") for my public land deer guns, I usually draw a special "reduction" hunt. That's the only time I hunt "public land" per our rules I can literally use my .308 striker pistol or even build any handgun I want chamber it for something ridiculous, let's say .375CT with a 18" barrel and go hunt public land. But, I CAN NOT hunt with a 16" grendel or .300 BO. Common sense is all to uncommon.

Rifles for PUBLIC LAND: , must fire a bullet .357" or larger with a case measuring between 1.16" min. To max of 1.8"

Rifles for PRIVATE LAND: must fire bullet .243" or larger, minimum Case length 1.16" max of 3" and you CAN NOT have more than 10 rounds in your possession.

Handguns: (for public land OR private) must fire a bullet at least .243" or larger with a minimum case length of 1.16 with NO MAX length. (There is NO mention of ammunition allowed to be in possession with handgun)

"The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches. A rifle with a barrel less than 18 inches is not considered a handgun."——

So to me, I built a 6.5 grendel with a 15 3/4" barrel and a .300 BO (10") for my public land deer guns, I usually draw a special "reduction" hunt. That's the only time I hunt "public land" per our rules I can literally use my .308 striker pistol or even build any handgun I want chamber it for something ridiculous, let's say .375CT with a 18" barrel and go hunt public land. But, I CAN NOT hunt with a 16" grendel or .300 BO. Common sense is all to uncommon.
Whew! Might want to apply in a simpler state.

Here is a list compiled in 2008, I know some have changed. I'm in CO BTW.

Alabama- centerfire
Alaska- centerfire
Alberta- .23 and up centerfire
Arizona- centerfire
Arkansas- .22 and up centerfire
California- centerfire
Colorado- .24 and up, 70grn or larger bullet/ minimum of 1000ft/lbs at 100 yards
Connecticut- .243 and up if legal in your area
Delaware- shotgun/muzzle loader
Florida- centerfire
Georgia- .22 and up centerfire
Hawaii- Any rifle with at least 1200 ft/lbs of ME. This would start at around .223 I think
Idaho- Centerfire (cannot weigh more than 16 lbs?)
Illinois- Shotgun/ML/Pistol onlyIndiana- Rifles with pistol calibers/shotgun/ML/Pistols
Iowa- .24 or larger centerfire only for antlerless season in part of the state.
Kansas- .23 or larger centerfire (actually says larger than .23 so maybe .24 is the mininum)
Kentucky- centerfire
Louisiana- .22 and up centerfire
Maine- .22 magnum rimfire and up!
Manitoba- Centerfire, but it says .23 and below not recommended. Does not say illegal though.
Maryland- ME of at least 1200 ft/lbs
Mass- Shotgun/ML
Michigan- centerfire in certain areas
Minnesota- .24 and up centerfire
Mississippi- No restrictions that I could find
Missouri- centerfire
Montana- No restrictions
Nebraska- Rifles with 900 ft/lbs or more at 100 yards
Nevada- .22 centerfire and up
New Hampshire- centerfire
New Jersey- shotgun only
New Mexico- centerfire
New York- centerfire
North Carolina- No restrictions
North Dakota- .22-.49 centerfire
Nova Scotia- .23 and up
Ohio- Shotgun/ML
Oklahoma- centerfire with 55 grn or heavier bullet
Ontario- centerfire
Oregon- .22 centerfire and up
Pennsylvania- centerfire
Quebec- 6mm/.243 and up
Rhode Island- shotgun/ML*
Saskatchewan- .24 and up
South Carolina- centerfire
South Dakota- rifles with 1,000 ft/lbs or more ME
Tennessee- centerfire
Texas- centerfire
Utah- centerfire
Vermont- No restriction
Virginia- .23 centerfire and up
Washington- .24 centerfire and up
West Virginia- .25 rimfire and up and all centerfire
Wisconsin- .22 centerfire and up
Wyoming- .23 centerfire and up

Last edited:
CO is .24/6mm, 16" bbl, 26" oal, expanding bullets of 70+ gr for deer/pronghorn/bear and 85+ gr for moose/elk with a min of 1000ft lbs at 100 yards from manufacturer. No ballistic scopes/smart rifles allowed

Yet handguns can be used in rifle season : min 4" bbl, .24/6mm min, no shoulder stocks or braces allowed, expanding bullets of 550 ft lbs @ 50 yards by manu

Here's Kentucky's Modern Firearms regulations for deer:
BDE3EC68-E035-4796-946D-3F95F08C309D.jpeg

…..and for elk:

58A67CB3-9AED-4C6C-8206-785C997A5FFC.jpeg

Yep, have been dealing with these ignorant laws my entire life as well! I have sent many a email trying to get clarification on laws or ask why certain calibers are allowed when others aren't only to realize that our DNR has no idea what they're putting on the books.

I even sent one email asking them to reconsider allowing the 45-70 to be used on public land and received a response from a biologist stating that he knew how ignorant the laws were, but they weren't likely to change anytime soon.

Wow, you guys in Indiana have a mess, or so it seems. It would be interesting to know how that was developed and what hamster fell of the wheel inside someone's head?! To me it seems they are making public land hunting hard and private land hunting easy. Without knowing the makeup of available lands, could it be if more people hunt private they don't have to police the public as much? This is odd, what a PITA for you guys.

I looked this up and found this (equipment section)

Seems just about every common big game caliber is okay on private, and the list for public is odd. There are capable calibers there, but still odd.

Last edited: