Big Game Rifle Caliber?

Before anybody starts hammering on "cheap" reloading equipment I personally know of two fellows who used a Lee Reloader and a mallet to load for 22/250 and 270 in box stock factory rifles and that ammo cut bug holes in the target. The 22/250 was submerged in 4831 Surplus and a 55gr pill pushed home- no weighing. The 270 used a spoon and 505 Ohaus. You may spend a ton on equipment but that doesn't mean squat when it comes to accuracy. If you look at the arbor press and neck dies a benchrester uses, how complex is that? For a bolt gun a hunter can reload with some very simple equipment.

KB

so your saying that my rcbs press and bonanza beam scale is not precise enough for loading longrange ammo well I say your wrong and I bet others will also and your method of getting brass through shooting expensive premium ammo is not cost effective. For the 50$ a box for 20 rounds you pay to get you to your range I can load about 100rounds that I would bet that can group better at 800yrds than your "universal one size fits all factory ammo" and I would do it all on my cheap rcbs press,rcbs dies and bonanza beam scale
A basic reloading kit is going to run around 500.00 with everything necessary to load one caliber. It takes a lot more than a press and a beam scale. Add to that components if you can find them and you are at 1,000.00 in a hurry.

That's a hell of a big jump for a guy starting out on a budget.

As for me, I've been reloading since the 70's, you're not educating me at all. It's the only way to go for a high volume shooter or someone seeking absolute precision.

It is not necessary to get to 600yds.

I agree! I've tried their 185 Berger and 178 A-Max and am very pleased with it. My friend currently use the 180 Berger in his 7MM Rem Mag and also pleased with it. He harvested a bull elk last year at 300 yards.

Here a review from the link I provided ...
We piled up a couple of pickup loads of coyotes and hogs with them at out to beyond 600yds with the .260. Over a hundred coyotes with the swift. It was absolute hell on the prairie dogs as well at 400yds.

It's not quality hand loaded ammo but it is very consistent at least in those calibers. I haven't seen any complaints from those shooting it, it's all loaded to match grade tolerance by shooters, for shooters.

Well thanks for the help, seems like we have gotten off track now lol

If you think you have the challenge to decide between the 7MM Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag now, esp. when WR puts it best as ...

You can't really "Lose" with either one. The 300wm just offers you more potential to stretch it out on bigger critters as your skills increase.

Just wait 'til you ask which rifle brand name and model. :rolleyes:

BTW, I know you're new but the custom search on the top right hand corner is a very useful tool yet very under utilized by many.lightbulb

Sorry but you're dead wrong, HSM loads the .210gr Berger VLD (stock# BER-300WM210VLD pg 49 of 62 on HSM ammunition product list) and you get directly them from HSM or Trophy Goldlightbulb
I looked online for them last night before I posted, but didn't find any. Must be a rare item. Biggest I found was 185 VLD's. I found 210's in the .300 RUM, but not the WM.

If you think you have the challenge to decide between the 7MM Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag now, esp. when WR puts it best as ...

Just wait 'til you ask which rifle brand name and model. :rolleyes:

BTW, I know you're new but the custom search on the top right hand corner is a very useful tool yet very under utilized by many.lightbulb
But I'm the one with the "hatred", right? :rolleyes:

CC- 12 pages of info. Now what rifle? and why doesn't remington make a sendero in 6.5-284 with a long action?

A basic reloading kit is going to run around 500.00 with everything necessary to load one caliber. It takes a lot more than a press and a beam scale. Add to that components if you can find them and you are at 1,000.00 in a hurry.

That's a hell of a big jump for a guy starting out on a budget.

As for me, I've been reloading since the 70's, you're not educating me at all. It's the only way to go for a high volume shooter or someone seeking absolute precision.

It is not necessary to get to 600yds.
I got my reloading kit for about 350$ primers are 6$ per 100 powder 26$ per pound bullets 40 per 100 and I was loading and for someone on a budget I understand its tough I'm on a budget all the time when I compare all the factory ammo I had bought even the cheap stuff it didn't take long to surpass the cost of my reloading equipment.I can't imagine buying premium ammo for long range and buying different brands to find an accurate one then buying enough to last me incase it dries up that would surpass my reloading equipment twice over

CC- 12 pages of info. Now what rifle? and why doesn't remington make a sendero in 6.5-284 with a long action?
Because Remington doesn't make any short-action Senderos anymore. The only TRUE Sendero short actions were the SAUM calibers. Other than that, all Senderos were long action.

If you ever see anyone listing a Sendero .308 or Sendero .22-250 or any other short action, what they really have is a Rem 700 VSSF, which was identical to the Sendero in EVERY way, except that they were short actions.

Kind of like, all thumbs are fingers, but not all fingers are thumbs. :D

Also, most manufacturers don't consider the 6.5-284 to be a LA caliber. Not sure why, but if it were my gun, it would be built on a long action.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.