Big Game Rifle Caliber?

if I had a 243 already then my choice would be the 300wm then you got everything covered but I was shooting my 3006 the other day with 200smks and couldn't miss out to 800 so I'm partial to my 06 it can cover every thing from varmints to elk with good barrel life and cheap factory ammo

Yea it seems like the 300WM is the general consensus. Ammo is generally fairly easy to find and not too expensive.

Like I stated in a previous thread I have shot bigger calibers than the 300WM but I am curious as to what the 300 WM recoil is like with a 7lb + gun since I have never shot the 300WM although I have shot multiple 300 RUM.

7mm Mag seems to be a good second choice.

CC268, might want to try one of the new Rem 700 Long Range models. In 300 WM or 7mm Rem Mag. Your choice.

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 Long Range - Remington Centerfire Rifles

I was going to say...once I figured out which caliber I wanted I was going to start a proper thread for actually selecting a gun...that is a whole other topic on its own!

Just glancing at it that looks like an awesome gun and it is a reasonable price for a college student like myself. 9lbs is pretty heavy though!

I was going to say...once I figured out which caliber I wanted I was going to start a proper thread for actually selecting a gun...that is a whole other topic on its own!

Just glancing at it that looks like an awesome gun and it is a reasonable price for a college student like myself. 9lbs is pretty heavy though!

Start working out so you can carry it without any problems.

CC- the rifle is WAY more important than the caliber. your vid clip proves IT( not just me saying).... that girl is shooting a .243 ; $4000 rifle , 2000 scope , 950 range finder and JB spends hours and $$$ on practice and load development. take your and your buddies various sporter weight guns and each shoot a 5 shot group at 688 yards. it will be fun and educational. the tikka t3 is great light weight hunting rifle. the sendero is heavier at 8.5 lbs ( 1lb more than a sporter) but by chosing carefully a scope and rings you can be real close. the rem long range is heavier no flutes. and less money. the choice between a 300 wm and 7mm rem to me is small potatoes. i have at least two 7 and two 300.

CC- the rifle is WAY more important than the caliber. your vid clip proves IT( not just me saying).... that girl is shooting a .243 ; $4000 rifle , 2000 scope , 950 range finder and JB spends hours and $$$ on practice and load development. take your and your buddies various sporter weight guns and each shoot a 5 shot group at 688 yards. it will be fun and educational. the tikka t3 is great light weight hunting rifle. the sendero is heavier at 8.5 lbs ( 1lb more than a sporter) but by chosing carefully a scope and rings you can be real close. the rem long range is heavier no flutes. and less money. the choice between a 300 wm and 7mm rem to me is small potatoes. i have at least two 7 and two 300.

What is the difference in recoil between the 7 Mag and 300 WM?

What is the difference in recoil between the 7 Mag and 300 WM?

Recoil, in same weight rifles is about 20% more with 300 WM. But, if the 300 WM weighed a pound more the 300 WM would probably have less than 10% more recoil.

So, rifle weight and stock fit have a lot to do with it. Usually if you can shoot one, you can pretty much shoot the other.

Recoil, in same weight rifles is about 20% more with 300 WM. But, if the 300 WM weighed a pound more the 300 WM would probably have less than 10% more recoil.

So, rifle weight and stock fit have a lot to do with it. Usually if you can shoot one, you can pretty much shoot the other.

I figured. So...300 WM or 7 MAG? I am thinking I might as well just get the 300 WM gun)

Im am more for the 7mag. 160 gr is plenty elk medicine and the BC on a 160 gr 7mm bullet is much higher than that of a 168 gr 300 wm.
If you want to throw heavier slugs out far then the 300 is a better bet with 180+ grains. But i have never seen an animal go down with a 300 that a 7 rem mag would not have been able to take down. Also, I have seen my share of animals run a long ways with a 300 as well as with 7 mags. Recoil on a 7 mag is a thing of beauty.

I have a 7 mag that I'm loaning to my dad for this fall's elk hunt. Shoots 1"3 shot groups at 300 with 140 gr accubonds. FLAT shooter!
snookntarpon

CC- sporter weight rifles can be accurate. my 700 ti 300rsaum weighs less than your 243 , shoots Less than .5", 30-06 mtn rifle is 6 pounds .5" , and my sako 6ppc is 6.5 pounds shoots .6 .... my overall experience is sporter weights take a lot more load development and range work to get them there. if you do not reload that means $$$ and time and $$ and time. my senderos both have muzzle brakes . the 300 is more recoil. in deciding between the two 7mm and 300 wm; i found the 300 wm ever so slightly less finicky to find a good load.

Im am more for the 7mag. 160 gr is plenty elk medicine and the BC on a 160 gr 7mm bullet is much higher than that of a 168 gr 300 wm.
If you want to throw heavier slugs out far then the 300 is a better bet with 180+ grains. But i have never seen an animal go down with a 300 that a 7 rem mag would not have been able to take down. Also, I have seen my share of animals run a long ways with a 300 as well as with 7 mags. Recoil on a 7 mag is a thing of beauty.

I have a 7 mag that I'm loaning to my dad for this fall's elk hunt. Shoots 1"3 shot groups at 300 with 140 gr accubonds. FLAT shooter!
snookntarpon

Interesting...well at least I got it down to 7mm Mag vs. 300 WM haha...it will probably take a flip of a coin to decide which one I want.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.