Best Shot size for Coyotes

Always been partial to 3" buffered BB.

#4 bucks ok if you're choked right.

Nothing better than touching off a twelve gauge on a coyote. Unfortunately, these days the shotguns pretty much dead weight. Back in the good old days when a coyote sucked in to 50-60 yards before cutting for the wind. Now they're starting that monkey business at 500-600 yards.

Our hounds' men around here have literally killed hundreds of coyotes with the Federal Premium #4 buck copper plated buffered shot 3" mag. being the go-to round. Keep in mind the 2 3/4" round is our 2nd choice it has less pellets but increased velocity for the longer shots.

Designed to make hunting too expensive for most. Anti-gun nuts excuse to ban lead.
I agree you dont need a 10 gauge, and #4 buck is a great coyote killer, but don't be mad at tss because it's expensive or you haven't used it. I think the factory loads are not getting the potential out of TSS, and I do consider the factory tss ammo I have seen to be a waste of money, but if you handload it right, it is flat out deadly, and yes it will reach out to 100 in the right combos. I have seen with my own eyes on multiple occasions #7 1/2 and #8 TSS flat crumple canada geese at 50-60 yards, from a .410. Some people have used it on deer, and got pass throughs with bb's. Just because it's expensive, doesn't mean it leftist conspiracy....

I agree you dont need a 10 gauge, and #4 buck is a great coyote killer, but don't be mad at tss because it's expensive or you haven't used it. I think the factory loads are not getting the potential out of TSS, and I do consider the factory tss ammo I have seen to be a waste of money, but if you handload it right, it is flat out deadly, and yes it will reach out to 100 in the right combos. I have seen with my own eyes on multiple occasions #7 1/2 and #8 TSS flat crumple canada geese at 50-60 yards, from a .410. Some people have used it on deer, and got pass throughs with bb's. Just because it's expensive, doesn't mean it leftist conspiracy....
While the left put another nail in your gun rights coffin you can feel better knowing you can still use more expensive alternatives. Of course many cannot, and that is the point and their objective.

Don't feed the beast.

100yd deer with a scatter gun.
Nope.

12g #4 buck coppers.
No one needs a 10ga. and there is no such thing as "100yd shotgun".
Love yourself.
Anyone says there is no such thing as a lethal 100yd shotgun? #1) they have no idea what they don't know; #2) they have never shot 18g/cc tungsten shot pellets in their entire life.

100yds is close-range with 18g/cc tungsten shot. I've learned I must carry a lazer range finder to determine the proper holdover, when shots exceed 90-100yds.

While the left put another nail in your gun rights coffin you can feel better knowing you can still use more expensive alternatives. Of course many cannot, and that is the point and their objective.

Don't feed the beast.

100yd deer with a scatter gun.
Nope.
And you continue letting your ignorance of fact and lack of experience based knowledge guide your decision making. Your simply incorrect.

Have a good one.

Last edited:
Based off terrain, all shots will be 60 yards or closer. Variety of chokes for both, looking for input on that as well.

If all shots on coyote will be 60 or less yards, #4 lead buckshot will be fine. Just need enough pellets and choke to ensure a pattern dense enough to put several #4 buck pellets into that 60-yard coyote.

With #4 buck: A 41-pellet 12ga 3" shell, a 54-pellet 12ga 3.5" shell, or a 54-pellet 10ga shell will snuff a 60-yard coyote.

TSS tungsten is the proper medicine on coyotes that stop at 100-yards, and then stick their tongues 👅 out at ya, while giggling.

Last goose season I blasted a couple coyotes at 50-60 yards with 12 gauge 3.5" BB out of a Muller UFO choke. I'm not saying it's the proper choice but it worked. The pattern out of those chokes is insane

And you continue letting your ignorance of fact and lack of experience based knowledge guide your decision making. Your simply incorrect.

Have a good one.
My point is political not scientific. I have shot all the alternatives and will continue with some. I can afford 10ga guns and tungsten shot but I do not need them.