Best 7mm bullet for coyotes

I have hunted coyotes with a 7rm for about 17 years. About 6 years ago I started using noslers 120gr balistic tip. I went to a local gun shop to see if they had any and told them what I was using them for and the owner/operator of the store told me he wouldnt sell me those bullets and that I was a f$%&$*# idiot for using a 7mag to kill coyotes. It is nice to find people that are like minded. Other than the 120noslers I also use the 162gr Amax.

My 7mag has a 1/9 twist, 26" barrel. Is that too fast for a 120 gr BT's? If not , what's the recipe for the 120's. Please include the seating depth and MV.

Thanks

I have hunted coyotes with a 7rm for about 17 years. About 6 years ago I started using noslers 120gr balistic tip. I went to a local gun shop to see if they had any and told them what I was using them for and the owner/operator of the store told me he wouldnt sell me those bullets and that I was a f$%&$*# idiot for using a 7mag to kill coyotes. It is nice to find people that are like minded. Other than the 120noslers I also use the 162gr Amax.
thats the joy of a 7 rm it kills everything with one gun, i shoot the 120 v-max, flatter than my 25-06 out to 1k even with poor b.c. i just started playing with the 162 a-max

I use 68.5 grains of IMR 4831 with winchester primers and brass. The oal that I use is 3.290. I have never shot this load through the chrono but my nosler book says that a max of 68gr will shoot 3370 FPS. This is a max load so if you try it please use caution when working up to it. I would not start with this grain of powder. I would start 2 or 3 grains lighter and work up. A powder that has better velocities to try also is reloader 19. I didnt have any to try so i just used what I had on hand.

3.278 cartridge length in m77 markII 120 v-max , max load is 73 gr of rl-22 but i have notes showing i was using up to 74.4 with winchester std primer and velocities around 3600 fps, and by no means would i tell someone to load that, i work up loads for my guns and even if same cal they are firearm specific it flattens primers. if using rl-22 start around 69gr with non mag primer and work up to the sweet spot, with the 162 a-max, length is 3.403 while the book calls for 3.290 , they barely clear the mag, cci 250 primer with 69.5-69.7gr of rl-25 at 3-shot spread at 40 degrees, was 3106-3093-3097, with no pressure signs, max book load from hornady says 69.3 max, i would like to go hotter but no need with that high of a b.c. i also try to keep my brass at 2.495 length

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.