Best Shot size for Coyotes

amu_shooter

Looking for opinions on best shot size to use with 10 GA for Coyotes. I have BB, BBB and T-Shot.

Or should I use my 3.5 inch 12 GA with Remington HyperSonic 2 shot.

Based off terrain , all shots will be 60 yards or closer. Variety of chokes for both, looking for input on that as well.

Also have plenty of 12 ga 2.75 #4 and 00 Buckshot. Only thing heavier than T shot for 10 ga is slugs.

Last edited:
You will be disappointed if you use steel past 25 yards. 4 Buck is great so is lead BB or dead coyote heavy shot in T or BB. We have actually killed red and gray fox to 60 yards with lead 4s, but coyotes are just deep enough you just don't get the need penetration. Remington does have an Express load in 10Ga. lead BB and it is hell on yotes and shoulders, but it is VERY hard to find. The 41 pellet 4 Buck Federal load is the best option for the money IMHO.

I tried a variety of loads in my 3.5-inch twelve gauge. 00 didn't have quite enough pellets per shot, number four buck was what I found that I preferred, number four shot didn't carry as well as I wanted nor hit hard enough for what I was doing but could be effective with a double tap, BBs didn't really do what I needed. They are at this time making some very good rounds better designed for hunting coyote then they had when I was aerial hunting them.

Barrel length and the choke played a large part in the patterning, and the shot size abilities, but you already know that I was using an improved modified choke 24" barrel because much longer of a barrel just wasn't efficient in my situation and I didn't use screw in chokes for the reason that out of aircraft you had limited room as well as if you somehow lost a screw in you were done for the day, I did see that happen once.

Steel Shot sucks. 54 pellets, #4 buck, copper plated lead BB is good to 60 yards in the 10ga. I had two Ithaca 10ga semi auto's, 32" full choke was standard. Everyone that hunted in my truck wanted to shoot, "Moose Dick". Later on, I had a Browning Gold in 12ga, also. Best friends ended up with all the 10ga.

I would not shoot a pump in a 10ga, make mine gas operated.

If you really want to hammer coyotes, get some #4 or #6 TSS 18 gram/cc shot. #2 TSS 18 will get pass through on white tail deer at those ranges. #6 will give a large shot count, and TSS patterns stupid tight, and will get pass through farther than your shooting. Do a light weight charge in your 12 gauge, there would be plenty of pellets in a 7/8 or 1 oz load, and load it fast.

We are loading #9's in .410's, a 3/8 oz load going fast is murder on geese and mallards. Getting pass through on Canada's shot at 40 yards. TSS is amazing. Check it out, it's expensive, but how many rounds do you really shoot coyote hunting?

@Wedgy Has used TSS on coyotes and snow geese, he can tell you more on it too.

^^^ This right here. You can pack a heavy 10 gauge and deal with the recoil or carry a 12 or even a 20 with TSS and kill coyotes further and deader. It's not cheap but like mentioned how many rounds are you really shooting coyote hunting? One of my buddies loads it in 28 gauge and it kills geese better then a 10 gauge with steel. Pretty amazing stuff.

10ga with TSS would be a 100 yard gun. Back in the day, we killed geese at 125 yards with T lead shot.

On another note, my 12ga Rem 1187 with factory extra full choke patterns Rem 3" mag, 42 pellets of #4 buck, 100% in a 20" pattern at 40 yards, with 00 and 000 Rem 3" in a 15" circle at 40 yards.

These patterns on on the verge of being too tight.

Working with chokes can pay huge dividends with std lead buckshot.

Consult you Tube:

Bubbaroundtree outdoors for advanced buckshot reloading, techniques and loads, they are impressive.

For years, I hunted with a guy that loaded his on 12ga in a old Winchester AA hull with 24 pellets of Hard cast #4 buckshot from Ballistic products, At 1300 fps. He shot an extra full choke, and the boy could shoot. It was rare that he missed one, and in the shotgun territory we hunted in, 50 yards was a long shot. He used to make fun of my
1 -5/8 oz buckshot loads at 1300.

The key to all shotguns is to pattern at 40 yards from a supported position. Gun fit may cause you to shoot low, high, right, or left of the point of aim. I shoot 12" low with all Rem shotguns, so I run a Burris speed beade on the guns...easier than dealing with gun fit. My Beretta 390 and 391 had stock shims that came with them so I could get proper gun fit/ with point of aim matching point of impact.

Kicks Butt kicker chokes are incredible also in patterning at a distance with custom reloads with hard cast Buckshot.

Lee makes a great #4 buck mold, Sharpshooter, and Marty makes great buckshot molds.

Nothing will top TSS in patterns and killing ability, nothing. I just do not shoot coyotes at distances that would warrant the expense.

Bubbaroundtree has you tube video's of a LOT of patterns shot at a distances from 60-100 yards. With lead, you have to go up a size as distances increase, where you do not with TSS.

Chokes have a very important part. Really need to match the Shot to the choke. A tighter choke does not mean a tighter pattern. If not matched correctly you can just blow the pattern of the shot up in a short distance. Shot Cup Wad- The whole pattern density thing and the hardness of the shot help in penetration. Some shells might cost $$ , but may get your Yote.
TSS #2 12 ga 3" has 81 pellets in a 1 1/2 oz load with excellent penetration.