Best Shot size for Coyotes

pure lead non coated or either copper or nickel coated?
I like hornadys #4 buck for loading my own. 3" win hull and waa12 wad over long shot packs a good punch. Gotta hand stack the pellets but it's a great load that's put down a bunch of coyotes for me. I'd have to look up how much powder I use. Load is in the Lyman's shot load book

If you really want to hammer coyotes, get some #4 or #6 TSS 18 gram/cc shot. #2 TSS 18 will get pass through on white tail deer at those ranges. #6 will give a large shot count, and TSS patterns stupid tight, and will get pass through farther than your shooting. Do a light weight charge in your 12 gauge, there would be plenty of pellets in a 7/8 or 1 oz load, and load it fast.

We are loading #9's in .410's, a 3/8 oz load going fast is murder on geese and mallards. Getting pass through on Canada's shot at 40 yards. TSS is amazing. Check it out, it's expensive, but how many rounds do you really shoot coyote hunting?

@Wedgy Has used TSS on coyotes and snow geese, he can tell you more on it too.
MR.ADAMS.... AND ALL.....
THIS RITE HERE IS THE REASON I`M ON THIS BOARD.
GREAT FIRST HAND AND THOUROUGH TECHNICAL INFORMATION.....
THANK YOU......
CODY.....

I have a few Kent 3.5" #2 Tungsten left. Shot a coyote at 67 yards. Unfortunately, Kent no longer produces these rounds.

It doesn't even compare to TSS. Not even close. Lead will work for typical shotgun distances, but TSS will kill coyotes at 100 yards with shot size usually considered for pheasants.
I would challenge anyone who stated they can reliably put any shotgun round at 100 yds into a coyotes vitals. I have used and patterned TSS when someone I hunted with made this claim. You will wound more than you kill.

We always have both a shotgun and a rifle to hunt coyotes. Even if I'm hunting alone I'll use a 12ga over 222 Tikka. If the dog is 100 yds I'll shoot him with a rifle. The shotgun is used when they come in fast bouncing in through the sagebrush and there's no shot until they're very close.
What the heck is TSS? Sounds interesting.

I would challenge anyone who stated they can reliably put any shotgun round at 100 yds into a coyotes vitals. I have used and patterned TSS when someone I hunted with made this claim. You will wound more than you kill.
Watch Bubbaroundtree on YouTube, long-range predator loads....new world for me.

We hunted in Mexico, Az, S. Ca for years, and shots were not very long with 55 yards being a long shot. Many of the hunters live in dramatically different hunting/calling terrains. One guy will have wide-open dessert, while another guy will be lucky to get a 35-yard shot as his longest shot.

Due to coyotes running, jumping, and dodging, multiple shots are typical as they rarely stop for the beautiful broadside shot. Guys forget that they have to lead a running coyote just like leading a dove.

From what I can find on it TSS is tungsten super shot put in a different wad cup to keep a tight pattern and protect your barrel and choke. Shooting today is vastly different then it was even 10 or twenty years ago.

hunting in brush and timber is usually 50 yards and under. My 1187 with its 20" pattern of 42 #4 buck at 40 yards, is a meat grinder and I have to shoot the shotgun like a rifle due to its super tight pattern.

When you shoot, if the coyote's tail is moving or you see a leg move, hit him again.