Best Shot size for Coyotes

We always have both a shotgun and a rifle to hunt coyotes. Even if I'm hunting alone I'll use a 12ga over 222 Tikka. If the dog is 100 yds I'll shoot him with a rifle. The shotgun is used when they come in fast bouncing in through the sagebrush and there's no shot until they're very close.
What the heck is TSS? Sounds interesting.
TSS....tungsten shot.... more dense than lead...

Looking for opinions on best shot size to use with 10 GA for Coyotes. I have BB, BBB and T-Shot.

Or should I use my 3.5 inch 12 GA with Remington HyperSonic 2 shot.

Based off terrain , all shots will be 60 yards or closer. Variety of chokes for both, looking for input on that as well.

Also have plenty of 12 ga 2.75 #4 and 00 Buckshot. Only thing heavier than T shot for 10 ga is slugs.
I use 4 buck and know that is what the Government hunters around here use shooting out of a plane!

Looking for opinions on best shot size to use with 10 GA for Coyotes. I have BB, BBB and T-Shot.

Based off terrain , all shots will be 60 yards or closer. Variety of chokes for both, looking for input on that as well.

Also have plenty of 12 ga 2.75 #4 and 00 Buckshot. Only thing heavier than T shot for 10 ga is slugs.
I have shot many coyotes with copper plated BB in 2 3/4 magnum. Several at 60 to 70 yards. A lot of the bb's passed through.

I shot #4 buck for years and thought it was the best but TSS is a different league of density, penetration, and range but the drawback is price. I pay more for gas and travel expanses so I don't sweat the cost and I cannot shoot lead in CA so the #4 buck is not an option or I would still use it inside ~60 yards. The TSS drops at 100 yards are less than you would think, with #5 TSS zeroed at 50 yards it's only about 14" low at 100yds going a little over 1,300 fps, almost hard to tell the drop. I haven't used a 12 gauge for turkey in a few years but a 20 instead with #9 TSS out to 50 yards and it flat out smashes birds, they don't even flap their wings after being hit, they are stone deed. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a coyote at 50 yards with #9's. A few years back a coyote came to our turkey decoy and my GF shot him at 45 yards with the old #6 Federal Heavyweight 15 g/cc, he went down like a sack with completely shattered front legs, shattered skull, and knocked most of his teeth out. The tree behind him was covered with little bits of fur from the pellets that passed thru and hit the tree. The TSS is even denser and deadlier at 18 g/cc. Use whatever works for you but don't overlook the TSS if you are looking for an advantage.

Last edited:
I shot #4 buck for years and thought it was the best but TSS is a different league of density, penetration, and range but the drawback is price. I pay more for gas and travel expanses so I don't sweat the cost and I cannot shoot lead in CA so the #4 buck is not an option or I would still use it inside ~60 yards. The TSS drops at 100 yards are less than you would think, with #5 TSS zeroed at 50 yards it's only about 14" low going a little over 1,300 fps, almost hard to tell the drop. I haven't used a 12 gauge for turkey in a few years but a 20 instead with #9 TSS out to 50 yards and it flat out smashes birds, they don't even flap their wings after being hit they are stone deed. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a coyote at 50 yards with #9's. A few years back a coyote came to our turkey decoy and my GF shot him at 45 yards with the old Federal Heavyweight 15 g/cc, he went down like a sack with completely shattered front legs, shattered skull, and knocked most of his teeth out. The tree behind him was covered with little bits of fur from the pellets that passed thru and hit the tree. The TSS is even denser and deadlier at 18 g/cc. Use whatever works for you but don't overlook the TSS if you are looking for an advantage.

Awesome Testing and WOW Results with TSS!
I only have been hunting Yotes with a rifle. Going to start bringing a shotgun along now.

I use a 3 1/2" 12 bore with 54 pellets of #4 lead Buckshot. 2.75" would do nicely, but the 3" and (better, the) 3 1/2" are loaded to higher pressures that can be felt on both ends. They can really carry the mail.

# 4 buckshot is .240 in diameter, #4 shot is .130 in diameter, BB shot is .180 in diameter for lead shot. A 2.75, 12-gauge shell will normally hold around 24-29 pellets of #4 buck shot, an ounce of #4 bird shot will have around 135 pellets. A few years ago, it was hard to find #4 lead buck shot, so we went to using #4 shot and BBs for aerial gunning. We found that they weren't as efficient at killing the coyote but when you could hit them twice in your first pass you could do a decent job of taking them out. Using the helicopter on snow one day we shot 20 coyotes, the next day we were back at it and found that several of the coyote that we thought we had killed the day before with #4 shot had gotten up and were moving again so we then began hitting them twice to make sure that they didn't survive. The USDA Wildlife Services at that time were also having to use the #4 shot and found the same to be true, I don't know what they are using at this time but whatever it is they are supplied it and will do the best that they can with what they have to work with the same as our military personnel do.

Thanks for the input, I'll stick with the 4 Buck for now. I'm looking at a single stage loader now and components from Ballistic Products for my Ithaca Mag 10.
I've been loading for 10ga for years you'll need some sp10 Remington wads , either alliant blue dot powder or hodgdon Longshot powder and #4 buck shot you can use a mec 600jr for 10ga you'll also need a mec super sizer because the hull now have plated steel hulls instead of brass you can get your load data off the hodgdon web site for free good luck

Any of those will work fine. I've only shot coyotes when hunting something else so it was what I had chambered at the time. Usually while turkey hunting I'd call a coyote to me and dispatch it with 2 3/4 #4's in 12ga. I wouldn't try it much beyond what you would comfortably shoot a turkey at. Pattern the load so you know the capabilities for sure.

My double 10ga was always loaded with #4 buckshot. 7 layers of 7 for 49 pellets. Took alot of deer with that and it held a tight pattern out to 40 yards. I'm sure that it will turn a coyote inside out at 60.

# 4 buckshot is .240 in diameter, #4 shot is .130 in diameter, BB shot is .180 in diameter for lead shot. A 2.75, 12-gauge shell will normally hold around 24-29 pellets of #4 buck shot, an ounce of #4 bird shot will have around 135 pellets. A few years ago, it was hard to find #4 lead buck shot, so we went to using #4 shot and BBs for aerial gunning. We found that they weren't as efficient at killing the coyote but when you could hit them twice in your first pass you could do a decent job of taking them out. Using the helicopter on snow one day we shot 20 coyotes, the next day we were back at it and found that several of the coyote that we thought we had killed the day before with #4 shot had gotten up and were moving again so we then began hitting them twice to make sure that they didn't survive. The USDA Wildlife Services at that time were also having to use the #4 shot and found the same to be true, I don't know what they are using at this time but whatever it is they are supplied it and will do the best that they can with what they have to work with the same as our military personnel do.
I bought a Lee mold in #4 buck shot. Makes 18 pellets at a time. Got a 75lb pure lead ingot from a metal scrap dealer and I quickly made two milk jugs full of pellets. (warning: transfer to 2 liter soda bottles - the milk jugs get brittle and create mess when they split)
Despite the flats (from the sprue) on the pellets they pattern surprisingly well, maybe 2" wider than the factory #4's
I also have a lee mold that makes 4 pellets at a time. only one flat per pellet. It takes longer to cast a bunch but patterns slightly better. Try to get the most pure lead you can. The foundry will stamp the ingot with purity, mine was stamped .995 so it is very soft. Dont quench the pellets in water as it makes them harder. I tried that and they pattern poorly. I think it relates to how they squish together getting through the choke. My 10ga has both barrels choked improved cylinder. I had a gunsmith ream the full choke left barrel out to match the right. I don't goose hunt any more and a deer is not that much further away for the second shot if you need it.