Best cal for long range Coyotes?????

Yout got it Catfish

All above are good obviously. The 22-250 and 22-250 AI are very popular but my own choice is below. ALSO, your definition of "long range" and mine......might differ. Customs are SO nice cause you can pick your rate of twist but I shoot a factory gun, CAUSE IM POOR! LOL

OH YEAH.........NEW HERE. FIRST post even! HI Gang!

I bumped into this site by accident. First accident I liked and it hasnt cost me any money........yet. lol

Catfish has got it. What you like and what you like to shoot with bullets of good rep. Now if a yote was about 497 lbs, I might have another answer.

Im old, I like older things, 'specially when they work so great...........so

MY VOTE?

SwiiffftttTTTT.jpg

I've never been a fan of slow moving heavy for caliber bullets, to a point. I have and love a 221 FB till I need more, then its a 223AI 1-12 twist, then a 22-250AI 1-12 twist, then a 243AI with a 1-8 twist. From there I would go to a big gun, 6.5X284 1-8 twist shooting 140 bergers. If that don't get r done, I'll take a class in sneeking up um.

What about this

I have a .243AI built up. that might do wonders for you. I just switched from a Nosler to a Hornady 58 Grn V-max. Being a 6mm round traveling at 4070 Fps that round dumps all its energy in the Chest cavity, and i have yet to have a large exit wound. In fact i do occasisonaly have a Rip from the overpressure but thats about it.
Does that Help?
Ken

A friend built a 6mm out of a 22-250 case very impressive groups.
still lapping in the barrel but the group are all sub min.

How about the .25-06? I just acquired one for a dual purpose gun. It will be my long range coyote gun and also my deer hunting gun. I think the 110gr Accubond BC .418 or the 115gr Berger will do the trick as long as I do my part.

My new long range coyote gun will be an AR-15 in 243 WSSM shooting Berger's 95 VLD at I think about 3200 fps.

Len, not sure if you are going to get 3200 out of the gas gun with 95 grain bullets. Will be interesting to see if you can though. Also not sure how you are going to stick the VLD into the magazine ? Mill a slot or what ? It is gonna be a squeeze for sure if it can be done.

Last edited:
Greg, here's hoping!

Mike at DTech said he does see those velocities in his gas guns. Actually, I think he said 3250 in a 22 inch barrel.

We'll see. He also says there is a way to add some OAL through modding the mag. This can work since it is a single stack.

He says there already is a small groove? in the mag well. It's hard for me to follow him since I have no gun in front of me.

When I pressed him he says someone else did the work for one of his own customers and so far he hasn't remembered who it was. If I can add about .030, I can use Berger's 0.514 BC 95 grain bullet.

That will help my meager wind reading skills!

Last edited:
Factory 243 WSSM velocities run about 3200 with a 95 grainer and this would be based on a 24-26 inch bolt gun is why I wondered. A 22 inch gas gun will be slower, but if Mike says so then we will see. You should be able to mill a channel for the long bullet, I think.

Just hit 3600 fps with a 75 grain a-max out of my 22-284. I am hopeing to squeeze a little more but working up slow. Seems to shoot about .75 groups so, hope this will tighten with a little more velocity and then maybe those coyotes wont laugh at 600 yds.

John

Only rifle I can suggest is either the 338 lapua or the 338-378 weatherby. Both have the advantage of excellent BCs and the lapua has killed a prairie dog at 1.78 miles so you can really laugh then :)

bob chronister

Last 2 years I used a 20BR with BAT action single shot with 26" PacNor and the pet load was a Berger 40 @ 3940 fps
Clean coyote kills were made regularly up to 450 yards.

At this time the rifle is at the gunshop having the barrel replaced with a 20DASHER (20BR ackley 40 degree) with a 26" PacNor 1:9 which will handle Berger 50's at 3950 fps and extending my kill distance to 600 yards

This rifle is a switch barrel and I also have a 243 Ackley PacNor 1:10 that I shot one season using 90 grain Scenars @ 3450 fps
Damage on hides was excessive under 300 yards.

I prefer the light recoil and low noise level of a twenty calibre

I certainly can appreciate the recoil issue and the noise issue. These however can be controlled very well with an evoshield and proper ear control. Where the 338 calibers get nasty is to unsuspecting folks near you. Anything modified by Ackley is bound to be good since the man was a gunsmithing genius.

Recent Posts