Long Range load for Coyotes/AR-15

Iron Worker

Nosler has introduced a .224 60 gr Balistic tip but doesn't state what BC is? I want to load up 500 of the best Long range predator/varmint for my RRAs coyote AR-15. So far it is producing well under 3/4MOA with Blue Box Black Hills ammo shooting 52 gr match bullet. Uncertain if I should stick with 55gr or 60 gr. BBL is a 1 in 9" 20" BBL.

How far are you planning to shoot? I have had very good luck shooting Blackhills ammo out of all my AR's the 77gr SMK loads are awsome but all my guns ar 1-7 twist. the few I'f worked on for friends shot the 69gr SMK loads realy well.

Not sure what the BC on the smaller bullets is but its not impressive at all , I have a 6mm-223 that shoots the 55gr BT's way better than the 223 and shoots them faster and the bullets are higher BC

Bullet recommendation

If your AR has a 1:9 twist, I'd think your best bullet would be the 75 gr Hornady A-max. I use that bullet for my 600 yd load in High Power competition with my AR. I have a 1-8, but the bullet will work with a 1:9.

I recommended it to a friend who shoots a bolt gun with a 1:9 barrel & he's been happily using it for several years now on prairie dog. It doesn't have the explosive terminal performance of the lighter bullets but past 300 yds, it carries way more impact than anything else you can shoot. Just my opinion.

Coyote load

I can also attest to what the Nosler 77 grain HPBT with cannelure bullet does out of a 20'' AR15 with a 1:8 twist. On prarie dogs under 200 yards the dogs fragmented. At 300 plus yards they died of 22 cal holes. Fired 600 rounds on a South Dakota dog hunt this summer. Sorry no coyote kills to attest to.

I use the 65 JLK Low Drag (BC-.4) in my 9 twist AR for coyotes to about 500 yds. But i'm also using the old DPMS VLD magazine that allows me to shoot that long bullet too. They're not being manufactured anymore, but if u can get ahold of one (and the special bolt stop it requires) it's a pretty nice system. I've also had decent results from the 69 Nosler Comp. as well to about 500. 500 or so is about the limit of good terminal ballistics on a coyote IMO out of a .223 case. My AR is a great setup for this. I use the Rapid Reticle 3-9X 22 Long Rifle reticle that i simply recald for the 65 JLK's trajectory. I love that setup.

18" RRA 1:8 twist

Black Hills Blue Box 60gr V-Max Molly

200 yard bench group
ar6.jpg

How far are you planning to shoot? I have had very good luck shooting Blackhills ammo out of all my AR's the 77gr SMK loads are awsome but all my guns ar 1-7 twist. the few I'f worked on for friends shot the 69gr SMK loads realy well.

Not sure what the BC on the smaller bullets is but its not impressive at all , I have a 6mm-223 that shoots the 55gr BT's way better than the 223 and shoots them faster and the bullets are higher BC
Are you saying your .223 case necked UP to 6mm shoots 55gr bullets faster than a .223 55 gr bullet in basically the same case?
To me, that theory is emperically unsound. The 6mm 55 gr bullet is ballistically inferior to the same weight/ shape .223 bullet.
Something doesn't add.
Unless you meant. 223- 6mm

Are you saying your .223 case necked UP to 6mm shoots 55gr bullets faster than a .223 55 gr bullet in basically the same case?
To me, that theory is emperically unsound. The 6mm 55 gr bullet is ballistically inferior to the same weight/ shape .223 bullet.
Something doesn't add.
Unless you meant. 223- 6mm
Same case with a larger bore will push the same size bullet little faster generally.

I'm seeing about 200fps difference on Sierras ap. 260 150 vs 308 150g. You have to compare same or close bullets weights. Maybe I'm wrong, but with the data I'm seeing the bigger bore with same case, and same bullet weight speed goes to the larger bore size. Maybe it has to do with bearing surface on the bullet I don't know.