Long Range load for Coyotes/AR-15

Discussion in 'Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards' started by Iron Worker, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

Nosler has introduced a .224 60 gr Balistic tip but doesn't state what BC is? I want to load up 500 of the best Long range predator/varmint for my RRAs coyote AR-15. So far it is producing well under 3/4MOA with Blue Box Black Hills ammo shooting 52 gr match bullet. Uncertain if I should stick with 55gr or 60 gr. BBL is a 1 in 9" 20" BBL.

2. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

How far are you planning to shoot? I have had very good luck shooting Blackhills ammo out of all my AR's the 77gr SMK loads are awsome but all my guns ar 1-7 twist. the few I'f worked on for friends shot the 69gr SMK loads realy well.

Not sure what the BC on the smaller bullets is but its not impressive at all , I have a 6mm-223 that shoots the 55gr BT's way better than the 223 and shoots them faster and the bullets are higher BC

3. jes10x1

jes10x1 Member

Bullet recommendation

If your AR has a 1:9 twist, I'd think your best bullet would be the 75 gr Hornady A-max. I use that bullet for my 600 yd load in High Power competition with my AR. I have a 1-8, but the bullet will work with a 1:9.

I recommended it to a friend who shoots a bolt gun with a 1:9 barrel & he's been happily using it for several years now on prairie dog. It doesn't have the explosive terminal performance of the lighter bullets but past 300 yds, it carries way more impact than anything else you can shoot. Just my opinion.

4. cappi

cappi Member

Coyote load

I can also attest to what the Nosler 77 grain HPBT with cannelure bullet does out of a 20'' AR15 with a 1:8 twist. On prarie dogs under 200 yards the dogs fragmented. At 300 plus yards they died of 22 cal holes. Fired 600 rounds on a South Dakota dog hunt this summer. Sorry no coyote kills to attest to.

5. sscoyote

sscoyote Well-Known Member

I use the 65 JLK Low Drag (BC-.4) in my 9 twist AR for coyotes to about 500 yds. But i'm also using the old DPMS VLD magazine that allows me to shoot that long bullet too. They're not being manufactured anymore, but if u can get ahold of one (and the special bolt stop it requires) it's a pretty nice system. I've also had decent results from the 69 Nosler Comp. as well to about 500. 500 or so is about the limit of good terminal ballistics on a coyote IMO out of a .223 case. My AR is a great setup for this. I use the Rapid Reticle 3-9X 22 Long Rifle reticle that i simply recald for the 65 JLK's trajectory. I love that setup.

6. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

Awaiting shipment

Well I ordered 300 Sierra 65gr Game King bullets. I've heard and read good reports about those.

7. Misfire

Misfire Well-Known Member

18" RRA 1:8 twist

Black Hills Blue Box 60gr V-Max Molly

200 yard bench group
    [​IMG]