Best cal for long range Coyotes?????

Lets not forget, no matter how fast a rifle can push a bullet it is useless for long range, if it is of marginal accuracy. I would like to hit what I'm shooting at and at least make a humane kill. Rifles that are notoriously inaccurate, just don't get it in my book as a long range hunting rifle. I won't/don't hunt predators with a rifle that won't at least shoot a 3 shot 1/2" group consistently.

Try the 120 gr barnes x bullets in your wsm. I've shot quite a few yotes out of my 7mmstw with those. If you stay out of the shoulder, it didn't seem to do too much damage. Not my normal yote gun, just targets of opportunity while deer hunting.

Lets not forget, no matter how fast a rifle can push a bullet it is useless for long range, if it is of marginal accuracy. I would like to hit what I'm shooting at and at least make a humane kill. Rifles that are notoriously inaccurate, just don't get it in my book as a long range hunting rifle. I won't/don't hunt predators with a rifle that won't at least shoot a 3 shot 1/2" group consistently.

which rifle do you consider inaccurate? I refuse to shoot an inaccurate rifle and all of mine are properly bedded by a very competent person and are accurate as all get out. as you are aware, accuracy has 2 major components, the rifle and the shooter. Both can and do screw up. Have I screwed up? You bet I have. Try shooting for 40 years without making a mistake. On the other hand, I can handle my own out to about 600 yards with my 30-378 and with practice, probably further (the original 1000 yard record also set by a Chronister was about 3 inches and set with a 30-378). Shooting varmint rifles to me is like shooting a 22. Little recoil and usually accurate -- have shoot some that were not accurate but never at a varmint. I practice shooting so I minimize "me mistakes".

bob chronister

A 25-06AI should work very well. Reasonably comparable to my 257 weatherby. I actually debated about which to get and still might get an AI.

I shoot a 243ackley out to 800 with 80gr seirra fmj's and 75gr barnes solids in my 6br they shoot great and leave a tiny hole, I havent shot anything with the 6br past 600 so cant say with any certainty of its performance past 600, but as for the 243 i have shot a pile of hogs and dogs with it and have no complaints. I think a 6mm-06 ackley with 100-120gr solids would be great medicine if someone built bullets that heavy in solid form.

I agree totally. I have a 240 weatherby that I know will do fine as a varmint rifle. Will have to buy another one since the one I have is a collectors 240 and worth quite a bit. If I put a scratch on the stock, I would probably shoot myself:)

bob chronister

Long range you say! Well, I got a 25-06 that is right up Mr. Yotes alley. I handload my model 70 Winchester Sporter, with 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. It does a humdinger job on yotes far out younder way. It also doesn't make much difference which way the body is turned either, that 1/4 bore bullet drives right on through the yotes vitals.

Well I can do the same with my 257 weatherby magnum. Almost got a 25-06 couple of years ago but was hard to justify to myself. Figured if I could not use one of my weatherbys I would resort to my 220 swift and watch the bullet explode on impact. Might not kill the critter but would scare the hell out of it :)

I just purchased a Tikka T3 in .243. It has a 1 in 10 twist. Am I correct in believing that 95 to 100 grain bullets will be the best for that twist?

I am going out to start the brake in process today. I am leaving for wyoming next week. I am using another rifle for the trip but I thought I might take it along for some extra fun. :):)

Thanks for the help.

I just wanted to let some of you know, that I also have a couple of Remington factory rifles that are very accurate downrange. I don't believe I will be shooting any coyotes through at a mile away! It sort of takes the fun out of being able to watch that critter before his demise.

Now getting back to those rifles, one is a Remington 40X in a .222 and shoots 1/4 groups all day long, come rain or shine at the bench. The other is a bull barreled rifle, known as the 6mm Remington. It shoots groups around the .350 at 100 yds using Sierra BT bullets.

However, we here in my state of Missouri, just don't get those 1/2 mile long shots like some may in other places out West etc. My model 70 sporter in the 25/06 caliber shoots .600 to .750 groups at 100 yds, depending on the weight of bullet I choose and once again using my handloads. Now the model 70 Winchester in the .243 caliber will also shoot .450 to .600 groups at 100 yds with my handloads of course. These rifles are plenty accurate enough to take any coyote size animal out to 500 yards.

The 6mm Remington, along with the pair of model 70 Winchesters in calibers .243 & 25/06, are capable of taking any coyote down range. The problem is generally with the person pulling the trigger on any of those rifles. It also helps to have the knowledge and shooting skills for those far out youndar shoots I hear about so often nowdays. The nailing of a coyotes hide to the barn door is a whole lot easier at 200 yards than at 600 or 800 yards.

I think for some, it would be better to place a 3 gallon bucket out at 600 or 700 yards and see if you can put those first two shots out of your rifle into the bullseye. Yes, that bucket is going to look awful small once you hunker down over the rifle scope to take that shoot. Practice, Practice and a heck of a lot more proper Practice is what it takes to get the job down on any animal that far down range. Good Luck! Good Hunting!!!

Practice is indeed the key. Some of my rifles can easily handle 1000 yards but sure is hard to find 1000 yard target ranges. There is one close to here but bloody hard to find. Going to shoot my custom 30-378 there one of these days. Just the idea of placing a target at 1000 yards is enough to make you tired:)