Best scope for the money

I've never had it. But when I see all the high end scopes are FFP , I thought that having reticle match zoom would be good. But now after reading another thread I realize that I'm basically shooting flat to 200 at which point I would be at full zoom anyways meaning FFP isn't necessary? Obviously there is a need for FFP , but do I need it.

Like many, I've had both. IMO, FFP is not ideal for hunting. Usually on low power, the reticle shrinks so small, it's unusable. That can be circumvented with a illuminated reticle or a larger horseshoe like the one on the old Bushnell LRHS but all in all, FFP on a hunting rig handicaps you when you dial down magnification as you move through cover. Where FFP helps is, if you can spot your shots/misses, you can make quick and accurate dial adjustments. FFP is also useful for ranging distances at all magnification powers if your rangefinder breaks. FFP is also useful if you are spotting for somebody else (IMO, the most useful and practical use for a FFP on a hunting rig). You can call out mil/moa adjustments and still use your medium magnification field of view to follow the animal if it moves. You can range just as well with a SFP scope but you must do it at one specific magnification power. Frankly, I never range with my scope. It's a trade off. I would say, if you stand hunt or ambush hunt and you have virtually no chance of jumping a critter at short/medium range, and your recoil is such that you can spot your shots, then FFP is better. If your hunting involves changing your magnification from low to something else, depending upon terrain and cover, then you may well need full use of your reticle at lower powers, SFP is better. Personally, my scope is always on the lower powers until something comes up and I need to change it.

Last edited:
I am going to be in the market for a scope in that ball park as well for my 7STW. Thinking about the new Meopta Optika6 in 5x30x56 or 4.5x27x50..... price should be in the 700-900 dollar range for what I have seen. I think they will be out in May
Second for the Meopta Optika. European made, lifetime warranty, in business since 1933, makes M1 Abrams tank sights for the US military and lenses, parts and in some cases entire optics for several other of the "high end" brands everyone has mentioned on here.
Optika 4.5-27x50, 30mm tube, zero stop and locking elevation turret, illuminated reticle will retail for $699. Would out it up against anything triple the price.

Meopta MeoStar with a BDC reticle should get you on an elk no problem. Clearest and brightest scopes on the market. Period. 92% light transmission to your eyeball at dawn and dusk. No one else is close except Swarovski to which youll pay double the Meopta. And guess what...Meopta makes stuff for them lol

I'm looking to get a new setup, my first thing looking for is my scope, Whats the best scope you can buy for $1000 , now if i have to wait for a used one to come around i will. i was looking at the Vortex Viper PST Gen2 5x25x50 , i will use it for some hunting and long range shooting, Thanks Guys
Check out HAWKE.. I have the Gen 2, I have the Burris XTR2 5 X25....HAWKE 8 x 32....SR PRO....1/2 price...all the same options...tracks beautiful...real nice optic fabulous warranty

Second for the Meopta Optika. European made, lifetime warranty, in business since 1933, makes M1 Abrams tank sights for the US military and lenses, parts and in some cases entire optics for several other of the "high end" brands everyone has mentioned on here.
Optika 4.5-27x50, 30mm tube, zero stop and locking elevation turret, illuminated reticle will retail for $699. Would out it up against anything triple the price.

Where are the OPTIKA line made? I tried to find on their website and I can't find it anywhere.

Where are the OPTIKA line made? I tried to find on their website and I can't find it anywhere.
Czech Republic, same as everything else Meopta makes. They import raw blocks of German Schott glass and manufacture lenses and tubes and everything in house on their 25 acre factory campus in the CR. 100% vertically integrated.

I'm looking to get a new setup, my first thing looking for is my scope, Whats the best scope you can buy for $1000 , now if i have to wait for a used one to come around i will. i was looking at the Vortex Viper PST Gen2 5x25x50 , i will use it for some hunting and long range shooting, Thanks Guys
Night Force SHV by far and will out shine a $ 2000 Vortex by far and it has a TRUE MOA

Whatever scope you get do NOT get a "BDC" reticle if you plan to shoot beyond 300 yards.
WHY?
BDC reticles are calibrated at:
1. sea level
2. a certain temperature, usually 50s to 70s F.
3. made for a certain bullet weight
4. made for a certain bullet velocity
5. and therefore a certain trajectory

As a SNIPER Magazine article once said (Todd Hodnett, I believe) "BDC reticles lie when you need them most." i.e. at longer ranges.
And what the hell, if you are zeroed at 200 yards you know your "kill zero" is within a 5" circle from 50 yards to 300 yards with most modern cartridges. Thus no need for a BDC reticle.

I have learned to love FFP reticles because they work so well with laser rangefinders and ballistic engines. At ANY power FFP reticles will let you have the hold you want. With SFP you MUST zoom up to the highest power to utilize the reticle hold marks or dots.

Eric B.

Last edited:
The Sightron STAC is one in that category. Beats most 3-4 times pricier. Can't go wrong with them. SIII probably has better glass but 3- times the price.

Last edited:
Everyone has their favorites. 3 of the Five Viper PST's I bought would never zero or hold zero and I had to return them. Viper's customer service could not have been better on the returns and got me replacements very quicly for all three but that experience soured me on the line.

I bought a couple of Leupold VX6's which have been the best money I ever spent on scopes and I'll probably stick with them in the future slowly replacing just about all of my other scopes with them over time.

To me they are the best performing scopes at that price point by far.

Whatever scope you get do NOT get a "BDC" reticle if you plan to shoot beyond 300 yards.
WHY?
BDC reticles are calibrated at:
1. sea level
2. a certain temperature, usually 50s to 70s F.
3. made for a certain bullet weight
4. made for a certain bullet velocity
5. and therefore a certain trajectory

As a SNIPER Magazine article once said (Todd Hodnett, I believe) "BDC reticles lie when you need them most." i.e. at longer ranges.
And what the hell, if you are zeroed at 200 yards you know your "kill zero" is within a 5" circle from 50 yards to 300 yards with most modern cartridges. Thus no need for a BDC reticle.

I have learned to love FFP reticles because they work so well with laser rangefinders and ballistic engines. At ANY power FFP reticles will let you have the hold you want. With SFP you MUST zoom up to the highest power to utilize the reticle hold marks or dots.

Eric B.
Thats not true - all the bdc is just holdover lines. My strelok pro app has a ton of different reticles loaded in it and you can input all of your data and it will give you the yardage for your bdc lines.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts