What is the best money you have spent on the shooting sport and why?

hankle

What is the best money you have spent on the shooting sport and why? This is not limited to gear, it could be property, memberships, targets, and of coarse- Rifles! Feel free to add anything that gets you motivated to go to the range.

This is mine:
IMG_E1675.JPG

Rem 700 LH (trued) 223 wylde
21" Bartlein standard target 1-7 twist
Timney Trigger
Choate Stock (Bedded)
Nightforce aluminum one piece 20MOA base/rings
Bushnell Elite 6-24x50 FFP g2dmr reticle (Mil)
Custom rattle can paint job by me and the kids

Load:
Lapua Brass
75gr eld match
23.8gr Varget
.010 of the lands

I built this back in 2016 and only worked up the initial load before we bought a farm, sold the house, started a business, and built a house. I finally got my stuff out of storage and started playing again in summer of 2022. I'm consistently getting sub MOA with this little(14lb) rifle at 600yds. Its a blast and cheap to shoot- the best money I've spent.

A distant second is a Savage Rascal Target XP 22cal for my son, he pitches a fit to squirrel hunt and beer cans and cow turds don't stand a chance at 200yds on range day. He also steals our 200yd targets with his 22 hits and thinks it funny...

A small 2 axis cnc lathe that we put in my garage. Then figured out how to run it and designed a bullet and got a patent on it. Started it all here on LRH and now we are 8 years into the adventure with Hammer Bullets. Still working hard to ensure we are making the best hunting bullet on the market and staying ahead of demand. Short of raising kids it has been the toughest and most rewarding thing I have ever done.

A small 2 axis cnc lathe that we put in my garage. Then figured out how to run it and designed a bullet and got a patent on it. Started it all here on LRH and now we are 8 years into the adventure with Hammer Bullets. Still working hard to ensure we are making the best hunting bullet on the market and staying ahead of demand. Short of raising kids it has been the toughest and most rewarding thing I have ever done.
Now that is an awesome post! I'll have to try some Hammers now- LOL. Best of luck to you on your business/entrepreneurship. I'm neck deep in a couple ventures myself and people just don't realize the energy that start-ups require.

Reloading and shooting is my zone-out/detox...

Mine would have to be one of my precision rimfires. I love centerfire shooting more, but with the lack of ranges around me, and lack of properties it's hard to use them to their potential and keep my skills sharp. I decided to try prs and long range rimfire and it's been fantastic. While it can't keep your recoil management sharp it has helped in many other categories.

3A6C4261-DEA4-4180-967A-DAC6FF188A9E.jpeg
9FA4A66C-791F-48C6-870F-3D7626DB4C5B.jpeg

92938965-80FF-4645-AD2F-2DDC2CA05961.jpeg
DB15FB71-D3EA-408C-B82E-4A00A371F7CF.jpeg

Mine would have to be one of my precision rimfires. I love centerfire shooting more, but with the lack of ranges around me, and lack of properties it's hard to use them to their potential and keep my skills sharp. I decided to try prs and long range rimfire and it's been fantastic. While it can't keep your recoil management sharp it has helped in many other categories.

View attachment 439826View attachment 439837
View attachment 439836View attachment 439838
Rimfire is a great idea! I really feel like the trainer type rifles are some of the best money spent to get/keep people in the field shooting. They are definitely under rated. Being a numbers nerd and knowing that my access to past 600yds was limited, my 223 LR target was built.

Even when I'm doing load data on other rifles I take it so I can play during barrel cool downs...

I'm not the only one either!

Hard to beat having your own range with a building with A/C to shoot out of during the summer. I thoroughly enjoy mine. Can shoot steel out to almost 600 yds. I have a practice rifle in 260 that got built this way by accident, but has turned out to be a very fun rifle to load for and shoot.

Attachments

• 260 Rem 1.JPG
    260 Rem 1.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 87
Hard to beat having your own range with a building with A/C to shoot out of during the summer. I thoroughly enjoy mine. Can shoot steel out to almost 600 yds. I have a practice rifle in 260 that got built this way by accident, but has turned out to be a very fun rifle to load for and shoot.
Very cool! I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I've got a 1K range underway at the old family farm. If I had planed better I could have put a shooting window in my office/ reloading room and been able to get 300yds. I'm not sure the wife would appreciate the rifle blast during Sunday afternoons though...

Rimfire is a great idea! I really feel like the trainer type rifles are some of the best money spent to get/keep people in the field shooting. They are definitely under rated. Being a numbers nerd and knowing that my access to past 600yds was limited, my 223 LR target was built.

Even when I'm doing load data on other rifles I take it so I can play during barrel cool downs...

I'm not the only one either!

Yeah I agree! I also did a 223 trainer and love the rifle. It gets more use than all my other centerfires for sure but still generally can't use it to its full advantage as much as needed so I invested in the rimfire.

I bring my 223 and one of the rimfires almost everytime I go out for the exact same reason. When barrels are cooling, they come out for practice and fun!

I would have to say my first pistol. I purchased it at age 23 or 24. It is a 1911 Kimber that I still have and shoot regularly.

I never shot pistols much growing up. Having to learn the proper pistol fundamentals I realized how much I did not know about pistols.

This got me to invest time in educating myself more in rifle fundamentals as well. I started at the basics, even though I grew up shooting rifles. Most things were aligned with what I learned from my dad and grandfather but learned a lot of new small details that improved my rifle shooting as well. Little things made big differences.