Best Out of the Box Rifle

pumpworkjr

I am looking for some help to pick out my new hunting rifle. I will be going on a ram hunt in South Texas and an elk hunt in Colorado this year for the first time. I have been looking at the Weatherby Mark V Accumark 300 Wby, Sako Finnlight 300 Win and Thompson Center Icon Weathershield 300 Win. I plan to put a muzzle break on what ever rifle I go with. I have been having a hard time trying to find a Sako Finnlight. Any info and opinions on the best rifle without doing alot of upgrades will be helpful. I am trying to stay in the $1500 or less range. Thanks in advance for your help.

what distance are you comfortable shooting from? If its 500 or less you may not need to spend the money on a semi-custom but if you want to go further or just want the best you can afford semi-custom would be the ticket

Hard to go wrong with the 300 Wby in an Accumark. With handloaded 200 grain Accubonds it is a very capable long range rig. Mine has the factory Accubrake and it is very easy to shoot.

I sure I will be staying under 500 yds. What kind of semi-customs are you talking about. Thanks for the reply.

I bought a 300 WSM Finnlight last year. IT's a very nice rifle and I like the action very much.

However, I dont like the cheap plastic stock and it doesn't shoot well. Currently I am getting about 2-4 MOA out if it with a numerous variety of factory and handloads. Sent it to the factory once and they sent it back saying that they cleaned it and fired and shot a .9" 5 shot group. They provided a computer generated target (no bullet hole). I find it curious that they basically said it was a dirty gune since I broke the barrel-in cleaning aftre each shot for 13 shots, then cleaning after each 3-5 shots for load development and cleaning after each differnt powder/bullet combination. It never went more than 20 rounds without a cleaning and I soaked it several times with Wipeout at home after range sessions. I gave it a good Wipeout cleaning before I sent it back to the factory. To say that I am disappointed is an understatement. I am sending it back once again with a letter. We will see what happens.

If I was looking for an out of the box rifle, it would be a Sendero. And if elk hunting, it would be in 7mm RUM or 300 RUM leaning to the 300.

-MR

I'd buy a Rem 700 Sendero. If it shoots like most of them, you have money left over, otherwise it's a great platform to build upon.

I did a quick look at Gunbroker and saw the following:
Remington 700 Sendero 300 Win w Leupold Tactical : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

It's a Sendero in 300Win Mag with a VXIII scope currently at $800, if you could get it for under $1000, you could sell the scope/rings and have plenty left over for a rebarrel if required.

AJ

Not many people have them yet, but take a look at the savage 110 FCP-K in 300win mag. Savage Arms Model 10FP

Looks like a hell of lot of gun for the money, and should be very accurate out of the box, need some more to owners to give some range reports...

Out of the box Quality/price/availability--- Stevens or Savage.

Gunbroker.com has a Stevens 300 WSM or 300 Mag for $350. Only major difference between the Savage and the Stevens made by Savage is the Stevens doesn't have the Accutrigger. A have a bunch and they all shoot well out of the box.

Neal

Sako's typically have great out-of-the-box accuracy. I'm surprised that MontanaRifleman had such a bad experience. I sure hope his repair experience with Sako goes better than mine did with Winchester. I guess it just goes to show that there is no perfectly consistent rifle manufacturer out there today. You pay your money and take your chances. Occasionally, you will get a Sako that cannot even hold 2 MOA consistently, but then you may also get a lower end, no-name rifle that will shoot lights-out all day long.

Although not mentioned as often here at LRH, the Browning A-bolt seems to have very good accuracy right out of the box. You can usually pick a new one up for $650-$700. Too soon to know much about their x-bolt. A Tikka/Sako will run you about $525. Accuracy should be very good as well, but parts (other than action/barrel) are not as substantial. The standard Remington, Winchester, Savage, Ruger, Browning and Weatherby rifles all have their following. They also have those who have had bad experiences with them.

For me, the least risky roll of the dice would be a Rem Sendero or a Sako, with the nod going to the Sendero. There is just more aftermarket customization that can be done to the Rem 700 action than most other makes.

It would be easy to find a Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA in 300 win or 300 wby. It would also leave you with plenty of money for good glass and practice ammo.

accumark is lighter than a sendero. depends what weight you want. i would get a vais no matter which one you get

Im not a fan of Savages, just a prefrence thing. If you want a nice rifle I would stick to the Accumark or Senduro. I personally love the Mark V action, but I'm in the minority there as most like the Remingtons. If you want a hunting/long range rifle go with the weatherby. if you want a longrange rifle get the senduro. I wouldnt go with the Savage or Sako because of the stock. the senduro and accumark both have arimid fiber stocks, and i know that the senduro's have an aluminum bedding block. get the .340 wby instead of the .300 just because there awsome.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.