most accurate out of the box factory rifle?

Dear Sirs,

I have a Blaser r93 LH with 22-250 and 243 barrels, while it was expensive i have used it for 17 years and it is the best and most accurate gun i have ever used.I have read a lot of articles of how unsafe it is but it has been faultless for me and i know a few people who love them and others that don't.

Savage and Marlin XL. Both need stiffening up the stock with dowels and acraglass. The Marlin also need the nylon trigger guard replaced with a 700 ADL metal one (drop in) so you can torque the bedding screws correctly.
Both should have barrels free floated.

It would be fun to play with the new Marlin XLVH in 308 as it has a proper length (26") heavier bbl and yet still comes in at 7.75 pounds.

I've owned two Xs. An XLC in 270 and XSC in 7mm08. Both were tack drivers. It's a shame they dropped the camo version.

XLC 270 WCF with extra Savage bbl that was a defective chamber 22-250 (free). Redone to 22-06. Faster than a Swift and sub MOA 5 shooter.

Amusing when you consider the number of $5000 custom rifles out there that won't shoot as well as either the Savage or the Marlin.

FOR THE MONEY?

Try a Ruger American rifle. Have not paid over $300 yet.

I have bought a few to check out for friends, relatives etc.

ALL shot .6 or less with Fed Gold metal Match in .308 or .223

Not as Good with other Factory ammo.

Less than .5 with Hand loads Still Mag Length.
My go to 308 load of 44. gr rl15 under 168 berger classics at 2.795

Trigger is less than desirable but they hit were you aim.
Have a V Block Stock which seems to make a difference.

I Have always been a Remy 700 fan for factory guns but FOR THE MONEY These rifles really do shoot.

Most of my Rifles are full customs and will shoot better than me.
These Ruger Americans Have impressed me so far.
I am Keeping a 308.

Just My 2cents

Ben

Well since range or cartridge wasn't a criteria, I would nominate the Winchester 52D.

For centerfires, the sadly discontinued Tikka 595 (wood stock target rifle)
in 308 with Federal Gold Medal Match shoots bugholes.

Amusing when you consider the number of $5000 custom rifles out there that won't shoot as well as either the Savage or the Marlin.

Mr. Humble- i shoot in F-class competition. 500 to 1000 yards i have shot against savage rifles. i have never shot against a marlin. i would like to. it would be fun.

Most Accurate Factory rifle? well, I suppose a surgeon, they make them in a factory don't they?

Actually, its a crap shoot. that's why you buy a remmington 700 action and have it barreled, or you buy a remmington 700 and have it rebarreled!

or, you can see if you get lucky with any brand.

I must be really lucky because my factory Rem 700 bdl 300 Win Mag with 26" fluted barrel shoots lights out right out of the box stock.

I was going to have a custom rifle made out of it but I doubt it would be worth spending all that money for a hunting rifle. Remington's have always shot well for me.

Ooops almost forgot.. I did swap out the trigger for a Timney.

Most Accurate Factory rifle? well, I suppose a surgeon, they make them in a factory don't they?

Actually, its a crap shoot. that's why you buy a remmington 700 action and have it barreled, or you buy a remmington 700 and have it rebarreled!

or, you can see if you get lucky with any brand.

Need to find a different gunsmith if he can't build a custom that'll leave a 'factory' offering wanting.

I suggest you start reading the "road tests" in Rifle and Gun Tests to see just how many of these $5000 or more rifles won't even shoot MOA groups.

As for shooting F class against a Marlin ...... Perhaps it's because Marlin does not make an F class gun, either in cartridge or configuration like Savage does. Seems to me the Savage team does very well shooting rifles that retail well under 2 grand.

I would happily put the new Marlin X7VH up against any similar rifle that costs twice as much and clean their clock. Could also take that action, put on one of Scott's 3 groove Nitrided 6.5x284 barrel, build the stock up to F Class dimensions and put on quality glass and compete in F class at a rifle cost of under $1000. That leaves 2 grand for superior optics ..... far more important than a 1/10 moa less group size.

I assume you own neither Savage or Marlin bolt guns ? Since I do (Savage 9.3x62, custom VLR 338 RUM and Marlin 7mm08 and 270) and can tell you they will all shoot MOA or better with a hunting scope and hunting ammo.
The 338 will always shoot 1/2 MOA (5 shots), the farther the better it gets.

I'll still take a model 52D as the most accurate factory stock rifle.

Better to have a cheap 1 moa gun with good glass and know how to read wind and mirage. Money doesn't make the shooter as far too many believe today.

Betcha never shot a 4 position match with a National Match M-1, iron sights a sling and govt. match ammo. That separates the men from the boys.

I loaded and shot nearly 2500 rounds out my garand ( glass bedded and krieger barrel) in a year. i mounted a 36x on it and shot a .31 group at 100 with it. it is my favorite rifle. 30-06 my favorite caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.