Most accurate out of the box rifle

Bmanclark74

Hey everyone I'm new to the site.

I'm looking to buy a new long range rifle that i will be using for coyotes and whitetails, and would like to be able to take shots up to 600 yards.
Ive narrowed it down to a .25-06 caliber but I don't know which brand and what model to choose. Ive looked at the Remington 700 sps long range, the weatherby vanguard synthetic, savage, tikka, and I just cant figure out which one is the most accurate so please help me pick the right rifle!!!

ps: for under $1000

savage or tikka will be the best out of the box. Savage will be the easiest to make even better. Remington will be the easiest to pay someone else to make as good. All are capable of good accuracy out to 600 with good optics and ammo. The weatherby would be the least desirable for building up. The tikka will be the smoothest and might even edge out the savage depending on the individual rifle but has a very limited aftermarket. If you can handle the tikka, savage and remington, take your pic. I would go with the tikka if I had no upgrade plans and the savage if I wanted to customize. The remington if I wanted to dump insane money into a rifle.

Sako, if not Tikka!! The above referenced poll puts Savage in the lead only because Savage is at the majoritys price point so thats what they own and brag on. Sako is very accurate out of the box with premium factory ammo and will need no after market add on's or "tweeking". Tikka has the same barrels as Sako but a cheaper action set up. If you can't afford a new Sako lightly used ones can be found in your price range. My .02!

+1 on the Savage, Tikka and Sako. Sako's are nice friggin rifles, I've seen more than a few Tikka's with walnut stocks that where just beautiful rifles. My vote if your not planning on doing much more than a bedding job and trigger tune up, Tikka for the money, and looks. :)

I have three Tikka T-3 lights that I shoot regularly, 300 wsm, 300 winchester and 338 winchester. I also have three new in the box saved for my son. Over the past three weeks working up loads and setting up scopes all three have shot outstanding groups. All three will group under 6" at 900 yards. Best groups were a 5.3" at 950 yards, 4.2" at 900 yards and a 1.7" at 700 yards. All three have taken animals out to about a half mile. For the money these are an extremely good value. All I have done to these rifles is set the trigger pull and free float the barrel. I bought them all on sale at Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse right off the shelf. I paid $399-$449 for them.

I bought a new Savage 25-06 last year... it was one of first available with the accutrigger and accustock and button rifling ... put a Nikon Monarch scope on it and went to the range to break it is... I was amazed at how accurate it was and it was not expensive. These new Savage rifles are machined to print and shoot very well with little break in. For the money, I think they are hard to beat.

(most accurate out of the box)......

For someone with numerous Savages, I have to disagree and I disagree with Tikka as well, in fact I disagree with all the previous recommendations. Savages are accurate to a point but they take some fiddling with IMO,

The most accurate rifle out of the box is the one you pay the most for because your dollars deliver the accuracy, reliability and reduced fiddle factor.

You usually get what you pay for. Don't expect World Class competiton accuracy from a cheap rifle, it's not going to happen (out of the box).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts