most accurate out of the box factory rifle?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by cibrmike, Dec 6, 2007.

1. cibrmike

cibrmike Member

anyone have any ideas of the most accurate production rifle?

2. FMI

FMI Active Member

The best results I have seen have been from Savage and Tikka. your mileage may vary. I prefer Tikka of the two.

3. sniper2

sniper2 Well-Known Member

Savage...

4. Adam Lee

Adam Lee Well-Known Member

another vote for savage

5. screech

screech Well-Known Member

cooper.

6. radnur22

radnur22 Well-Known Member

savage

7. WSmitty01

WSmitty01 Well-Known Member

Savage/Stevens, my Stevens 200 300 Win Mag shot 1/2" at 100 yards with Black Hills Ammunition after bedding the Tupperware stock!

8. onzah

onzah Well-Known Member

I have a push feed Winchester m70 that has been as good as anything i have seen.

9. shootinfool

shootinfool Well-Known Member

I have a rem 700 pss that was shooting 1/2 out of the box all day long if that counts! other than that my most accurate out of the box, broken down plain and simple gun was my winchester model 70 with a pre 64 action. It shot 3/4 consistantly out of the box with a leupold 6-18 vxII.

10. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

For consistantly getting a high % of rifles that shoot extremely well, Savage is by far the best buy on the market. Used to be that they were not overly attractive rifles but that is starting to get better. With that however the cost of the rifles have increased but all in all, I believe they are the best value in an accurate rifle out of the box.

I have seen amazing shooting specimens from all makers of rifles, if they all shot like that I would not be in business but on average, the Savage is hard to beat. After that I would say the older Sakos would be right there as well. The newer ones, not so much anymore.

Kirby Allen(50)

11. silvertip-co

silvertip-co Well-Known Member

Savage. Them scopes that come with their guns dont cut it tho.

12. Pete_R

Pete_R Member

Tikka 595

13. keithcatfish

keithcatfish Active Member

I have a Savage VLP 223 that shoots MANY loads at or < 1/2 in and a few in the high 2s to low 3s all day long in no wind conditions. With the best loads it will hold 1/2" or less for 50-60 rounds before the accuracy really drops off due to fouling.

All I have done is epoxy bed the action.

14. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

I have several Rem700's that all shoot subn 1MOA. I recently bought my first Savage and it without a doubt is the best shooter of the bunch. I haven't even bedded the action (getting a different stock) and have shot .240" and .308" and several other sub 1/2" groups at 100yds, just breaking in the barrel and playing around with it while waiting for the new stock.

If we were betting on an example of all the stock/factory guns, I would put my money on the Savage for sure.

I also have one Tikka and it shoots OK (around 1MOA) with the ammo I've fed it. Although I haven't really worked on making it better.

AJ

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007