most accurate out of the box factory rifle?

I have worked with 3 rem sps varmints here as of late, and all three shot 1/2 " or better. My 243 will shoot in the .2's all day long. I filled the back end of the stock with expanding foam to get rid of the hollow sound. Other than adjusting the trigger, that was all that I did to the rifle.

Believe it or not my Marlin 1895gs in 45-70 groups under an inch, even with me behind the trigger. It has shot several groups all shots touching, and I got a doe with it at about 285-290 yards. Ranged at 280 and shot her as she was walking back into the woods. Squirrel loads shoot unbelievably well, 405 grainer moving less than 1000 fps.

My Savage 7mm RM shoots well too, considering my handloads certainly aren't stellar. I shot a 3 shot group under .25 inches last weekend, I can't find the target now. I'm using some old Speer 160 grain Mag-Tips I was given, with Federal brass and 64.1 grains RL22. No doubt I probably have some runout issues, over Christmas break I'm building a real reloading bench though, instead of using a slightly wobbly work bench.

200yardgroups2.jpg

Some 200 yard groups from 7mm and 45-70

100 yards off bags with 45-70 (it kicks, probably could shoot better with a better shooter)
45-70at100.jpg

25 yards with my squirrel load, 5 shots.
45-70lightload.jpg

Here's the 7mm group. Best I've shot so far from it. Other shots are at 200 yards prone and the big holes are 45-70 at 290 prone. Unfortunately I adjusted the scope the wrong way so the shots are waaay high.
groups.jpg

Last edited:
Most accurate out of the box

I am showing my age but if you can find one at a gun show the Kleingunther rifles were guaranteed by the factory to shoot 1/2 min.They were American made in Texas.

I still have a '97 (pre J lock) Sendero 7 RM that shoots extremely well. BUT all other Remingtons have gotten kicked out of the safe and replaced with Savages.

To go out and buy a NEW gun TODAY the Savages will be very hard to beat for average gun to gun accuracy!

all my savages 4 total are stock except for bedding and after market stocks 3 are under 1/2 moa and one is about .7 my sons 2 are under 1/2 also

JIM

Roll the dice

After hearing all the good things about Savage I baught one, just my luck it shot worse than the 2 Mini 14s that had the record before that.
The good news is with a Savage if you do get a bad one you can fix it yourself will ease. That worst shootin Savage lost its tupperware stock and tomato stake 223 barrel and now shoots great with a cheap laminant stock and 204 barrel :D
My Cooper is far and away the best shooting untouched factory gun but it cost as much as 3 Stevens!

I have 3 Remingtons, a 700 VS in .223, a 700 VSF in .22-250 and a 700 VSF in .308 that will all shoot to a 1/4" if I do my part but I also reload for them all which seemed to get that last bit of accuracy out of them. My Remington custom built rifles do that all day with ease though.

small groups winchester

I bought my wife a 223 short mag pencil barrel and all it shot groups like4.0 the first three shots . I shot it some more same thing I went home peeved that I had given such a good shootin rig to my wife oh well

Believe it or not the most accurate rifle out of the box that I have ever shot was the remington 710 in .270. I put a 5 shot group at two hundred yards that you could put a dime over using Hornady 130gr sst. I also nailed a woodchuck at 512 yards with it. All I added to it was a limbsaver barrel deresonator and a stock extension ( I have abnormally long arms!!). I kept the original scope on it and the only problem that I ever had with it was the bolt catch release wore out and I had to get a new one which remington shipped to me free of charge. For some reason I could hit anything that I aimed at with that gun.

I own one Marlin 1895 45-70 (bought new) that shoots 1 inch with Lasercast 350g bullets using irons, one Marlin 1895 45-70 guide gun (beater gun, bought used) that shoots 1 inch with Federal 350's using irons and traded one Marlin 444 (bought used) to a friend that shoots <1 inch using the Leverevolution ammo. All shot at 100 yards. I was very surprised at the results obtained from these rifles. All stock, except the 2 45-70's had tang sights installed.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.