Best compromise for a do it all rifle

I'm sorry I did say barreled action but I mis spoke. I believe the smith said something about using a company called Patriot Valley Arms? For the barrel.

I'm pretty much settled on 6.5x284 and have ruled out the Seekins if nothing else because I can get a truly unique configuration of my own. I know to some store bought may be the answer its just not the case for me this time.

After talking with 2 smiths now I have engraved in stone my decision. The gentlemen I chosen will start my build in 6 weeks. He has a Big Horn action on the shelf.

Thank you all for your advice and patience with a newbie.

I will post a new thread when it comes time to start selecting items for the build.

Matt

The Bighorn action is my favorite action that I have owned.
Following Is un solicited and biased advice from a shooter that is far from an expert.

Get a 1-8" twist barrel if settled on a 6.5mm cartridge.
Don't skimp on the trigger.
Don't put a brake on the rifle. Unnecessary and will ultimately ruin someone's hearing.
Use Lapua Brass
Learn all you can about load recipes for your cartridge on this site or accurate shooter. Discount the claims of well over max loads and fantastic speeds. Pay attention to load info provided by competition shooters.
It will will be very obvious when you find a load your rifle loves. "Fliers and pulled shots" will magically disappear.
VLD bullets can be a pain in the *** to find the perfect seating depth and powder combo. Don't get overly hung up on using the highest BC bullet possible.
Enjoy!

I guess I never replied to this with what I eventually ended up building.

I built a straight .284 Win off of a PTG action. I used a Kreiger barrel and a second hand McMillian A5 stock. I built it on a short action.

I would post a picture but the rifle is back in Indiana and I'm currently in Arkansas for work.

I have worked up a load that it seems to like using R17 and Nosler Accubond bullets. I was getting groups around .5 MOA which is plenty good for what I need. I am using Winchester brass and with a bit of prep it serves me well. I also shot some Lapua Scenar-L bullets but they were a bit long to function properly in the short action.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.