Best compromise for a do it all rifle

My go to cartridge for shooting/hunting to 1000+ yards for almost a decade has been the 6.5x284 loaded to 3000FPS with 140/142 VLDs. Owning numerous rifles in a variety of cartridges, the 6.5x284, while not the fastest in its class, is my idea of a nicely balanced, all around cartridge capable of delivering excellent performance. Recently, my fun rifle for targets/steel to 1000+ yards and capable on medium game to 700 yards, is the 6.5x47 Lapua loaded to 2800/2900FPS with 140/130 Berger Hybrids. This is also my choice for PRS competition. Considering it a short action younger brother to the 6.5x284, it's an absolute laser, with very low recoil, long case/barrel life, and much like my 6.5x284's, for me, it inspires high confidence with challenging targets.

Great choice on the 280 AI. I've had mine quite awhile and at 8 1/2 pounds total with a 24" barrel it's a good mid weight rifle. Pleasure to shoot and load for with knock down power and range.

Attachments

• 99738481-EC62-49E2-A2FF-0B8264B68498.jpeg
    99738481-EC62-49E2-A2FF-0B8264B68498.jpeg
    378.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Ok I used to own a 280AI and it was great. I used to use 168 gr berger vlds. I would suggest going in the mid heavy range of bullets and not the lighter 140 gr bullets. I would probably go 175 berger EOL or the 168 hunter from berger. Pay attention to how it is throated from your gunsmith and get a 1:8-1:9 twist barrel. I would also suggest a 24"-26" barrel! Other than that go crazy!

6.5 GAP 4S It's just about as close to perfect as you can get with a 6.5. Ballistics are excellent and accuracy is as good as it gets. Barrel life is excellent and brass is cheaper now and easily available.
It's a hammer.

Ok I used to own a 280AI and it was great. I used to use 168 gr berger vlds. I would suggest going in the mid heavy range of bullets and not the lighter 140 gr bullets. I would probably go 175 berger EOL or the 168 hunter from berger. Pay attention to how it is throated from your gunsmith and get a 1:8-1:9 twist barrel. I would also suggest a 24"-26" barrel! Other than that go crazy!

You know, I thought the same thing about the 140's, but within the OP's stated 500-800yd, they would work pretty well. Either way, good to consider rate of twist.

image.jpg

As grey fox mentions above, the 6.5-284 is also a great compromise for an all round rig, I also have the twin to my 280AI in 6.5-284 and it's a dream to shoot and deadly accurate, lots of bullet options to boot, here's a Cpl pic of the 6.5-284

I work in Evansville on occasion and Buck and Jakes is decent. The little shop in Fort Branch I believe the name is Meeks Guns has always had what I was looking for.

Matt,
If you make it to Evansville, take a little more time to drive down to Whittaker Guns outside of Owensboro. They have tons of new and used rifles that you can handle and decide on the one you want. Darrik, the General Manager, can set you up!

Matt,
If you make it to Evansville, take a little more time to drive down to Whittaker Guns outside of Owensboro. They have tons of new and used rifles that you can handle and decide on the one you want. Darrik, the General Manager, can set you up!

I have never made it down there but several coworkers swear by the place.

I was in the same boat recently. Been a big 6.5 & 30 cal fan for years. Wanted something new so talked to a bunch of folks and narrowed it down to the 280AI. Had never been much of a fan of the 7s before this.

Ended up with a Proof rifle in 280AI twisted 1:8.44. Good for anything I wanted or needed. Was really hoping the 175s would work in it. Found out it really loved the 162ELDX. Could get it to respectable speeds with accuracy that is averaging .2" when I do my part.

I've taken this rifle to the range and trued my data to 1060 on a flat range off the bench and to 1630on a hunter style course using improvised shooting positions. I'm very impressed with its performance. So far it's taken a giant feral hog and a pronghorn (at 480). Looking forward to more range and field work with it.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

I have to agree....7mm Rem Mag for a do it all(Big game) rifle. Factory ammo, top 3 most common, still a top performer, factory brass, fits a standard action, what isn't to like? Sorry, you aren't going to enjoy shooting prairy dog with it....lol. Get a dedicated varmint rifle for that. I will also suggest a 7mm-08 for a realistic hunting rifle. How many animals have you shot over 400 yds? My list is slim....and within 400yds, a 7mm-08 Will get it done all day long.

All the replies have been great and bit over whelming at times.

I finally had the chance to make it to a good gun shop and handled several firearms. I also talked with a gunsmith and he tried to steer me in the correct direction.

His suggestion was to purchase a barreled action from Big Horn Arms and build from there in what ever caliber I desire (he highly recommended 6.5x284). He says he has great results with Big Horn products and recommends the action to everyone. A bit over my price range but he said a complete rifle for $3000 is very achievable. His other thought was to purchase a used 700 and go from there.

At the gun shop I really liked the Seekens Havak. I know right now it's not made in a caliber we have really discussed but the 6.5 or 6 Creedmoor is available and would do everything I need here in Indiana. I really like this rifle the look, feel, and fit is great.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to these options either the Havak in 6.5 or 6 Creedmoor or a Big Horn in a good stock in 6.5x284.

I feel like this was in no way spur of the moment and was an educated decision.

One of the biggest parts of this decision is do I want a rifle now or possibly a year from now?

Thanks Matt

All the replies have been great and bit over whelming at times.

I finally had the chance to make it to a good gun shop and handled several firearms. I also talked with a gunsmith and he tried to steer me in the correct direction.

His suggestion was to purchase a barreled action from Big Horn Arms and build from there in what ever caliber I desire (he highly recommended 6.5x284). He says he has great results with Big Horn products and recommends the action to everyone. A bit over my price range but he said a complete rifle for $3000 is very achievable. His other thought was to purchase a used 700 and go from there.

At the gun shop I really liked the Seekens Havak. I know right now it's not made in a caliber we have really discussed but the 6.5 or 6 Creedmoor is available and would do everything I need here in Indiana. I really like this rifle the look, feel, and fit is great.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to these options either the Havak in 6.5 or 6 Creedmoor or a Big Horn in a good stock in 6.5x284.

I feel like this was in no way spur of the moment and was an educated decision.

One of the biggest parts of this decision is do I want a rifle now or possibly a year from now?

Thanks Matt

Look at a Cooper. Firststopguns.com. Would be one source. 2200.00.

The Bighorn Arms that I know does not due barrelled actions. They make custom actions.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.