looking for a do all rifle

jjrgr21

i'm looking at a Tikka T3 in 260 rem or 7mm-08. or a browning in 6.5 creedmore.

mainly a good do all that my son and i can both use when traveling to hunt.

mainly deer, pigs, sheep, varmints, maybe elk.

he's still young, so i need something with light recoil.

i had settled on the tikka in 260, but it seems that remington has discontinued 260 ammo, and it may not be a big deal, but that seems strange.

so now i'm wondering if 6.5cm is taking over

i don't want to buy a rifle and not have ammo or components available in a couple years.

i handload, but occasionally buy factory to replenish brass.

i've got plenty of 308's, but thought of moving from 308 to something flatter.

just wondering if the 260 is a safe bet for the future

thanks

Last edited:
6.5 Creed is an awesome round. Brass will be offered by Lapau(supposedly) in the near future which will boost this round even further.

Go with a Savage or even Browning. I am not a big fan of Tikka and Beretta USA (bad experience).

I love the 6.5 creed but if you already have a 308 I'm not sure I would change they are very close in terms of ballistics and recoil. You do reload so what about .243? Less recoil and plenty to take the game listed plus less recoil and ammo everywhere. I have a friend who hunts only with a 243 even for elk

i rebarreld an old stevens 7-08, and put a 243 barrel on it, and it's a shooter. but thought the 6.5's may be a better do all. and want to try a 60/70d bolt throw. and keep weight down.

the 6.5's and 308 are quite a bit different in ballistics, and 308 recoil is a bit too much for him right now.

Not that there's anything wrong with what you lisedbut I'd stick with the .260 because of the brass issue and who knows what's coming down the road...can always make it out of any of the cartridges built off the .308..

that was my initial reasoning with going with the 260. but when i saw that remington discontinued 260 ammo and brass, it got me wondering.

is the browning x-bolt worth the extra $250 over the Tikka?

I am biased because of my experience with Tikka and Beretta USA. However, some folks have had great experience with that product. So, my choice would be neither. There are better factory rifles than the ones mentioned in my opinion.

If you really want a real American do-all rifle, grab a savage in 30/06. Varmints to elk is a pretty big range to cover. But the 30/06 fits the bill. It's affordable to shoot, enough for elk, and plenty for everything else. No shortage of load data. Plenty of factory options. All in all great cartridge. I have a 260 rem and love it. But I've used it on plenty of critters, and don't feel it's an elk rifle. I'm sure it would do the job, but wouldn't be my choice if I had options. But I've used my 30/06 on everything from crows to elk. It's killed a lot of stuf. My dad bought it for me when I was 14 for our first elk hunt. I've had it a good long time now, and it still works just fine. There's a reason that cartridge has been around this long.

i have a few savages, and only keep them because they're so easy to rebarrel.

i think the action is sloppy, and don't care for them. but all 3 are good shooters.

i have a 300 win for big stuff

i want something that's smooth, light, has legs, and light recoil. that's why i settled on the 260/creed type cartridge.

i'd like to stay below $1k, so if there are any other suggestions other than remington or savage, i'm all ears

i very well may

i was just concerned with the QC

but it seems they are getting a good following

i'm looking at a Tikka T3 in 260 rem or 7mm-08. or a browning in 6.5 creedmore.

mainly a good do all that my son and i can both use when traveling to hunt.

mainly deer, pigs, sheep, varmints, maybe elk.

he's still young, so i need something with light recoil.

i had settled on the tikka in 260, but it seems that remington has discontinued 260 ammo, and it may not be a big deal, but that seems strange.

so now i'm wondering if 6.5cm is taking over

i don't want to buy a rifle and not have ammo or components available in a couple years.

i handload, but occasionally buy factory to replenish brass.

i've got plenty of 308's, but thought of moving from 308 to something flatter.

just wondering if the 260 is a safe bet for the future

thanks

If you handload, the .260 is a safe bet. Lapua makes brass for it. And 6.5mm bullets will always be available.

Personally, I'd take a .260 over a 6.5 Creed any day.

Factory ammo a'plenty... https://www.midwayusa.com/260-remington/br?cid=21962

Brass...

Lapua .260 Rem Cases 100/box - Mile High Shooting Accessories
Lapua Rifle Brass : Cabela's
RIFLE BRASS | Brownells
260 Remington Brass 100/Box : RIFLE BRASS | Sinclair Intl

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.