Best compromise for a do it all rifle

All the replies have been great and bit over whelming at times.

I finally had the chance to make it to a good gun shop and handled several firearms. I also talked with a gunsmith and he tried to steer me in the correct direction.

His suggestion was to purchase a barreled action from Big Horn Arms and build from there in what ever caliber I desire (he highly recommended 6.5x284). He says he has great results with Big Horn products and recommends the action to everyone. A bit over my price range but he said a complete rifle for $3000 is very achievable. His other thought was to purchase a used 700 and go from there.

At the gun shop I really liked the Seekens Havak. I know right now it's not made in a caliber we have really discussed but the 6.5 or 6 Creedmoor is available and would do everything I need here in Indiana. I really like this rifle the look, feel, and fit is great.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to these options either the Havak in 6.5 or 6 Creedmoor or a Big Horn in a good stock in 6.5x284.

I feel like this was in no way spur of the moment and was an educated decision.

One of the biggest parts of this decision is do I want a rifle now or possibly a year from now?

Thanks Matt
The bighorn is a small shank savage thread. A shillen select match or similar prefit and a boyds would be about the same as the seekins It would also have a premium barrel awesome action any your choice of bottom metal or dbm. I'd go this way over the store bought. There are other barrels Pac nor Rock Creek etc etc all are known for what your striving for

i myself would not get the creedmoor. my last 3 bucks were over 200 pounds after gutting. we have some very large tough bucks in indiana. lots of fences and private property also. the 6.5/284 would be a better choice in my opinion

I have a Sako 85 Finnlight in .270 WSM in a lightweight McMillan stock that does everything you're describing. Hell of a rifle, and not a bad caliber. The .270 WSM can get 140s and 150s up around 3100 FPS pretty easily. Factory ammo and brass isn't hard to find. Norma already makes brass for it, and Hornady is about to start making their Precision Hunter ammo in it.

There is a 6.5x55 Sako 85 (wood stock) for sale on in the classifieds. That would be an awesome alternative if it is not throated for 175gr round nose bullets.

Bighorn used to offer a choice of threads.

I'm sorry I did say barreled action but I mis spoke. I believe the smith said something about using a company called Patriot Valley Arms? For the barrel.

I'm pretty much settled on 6.5x284 and have ruled out the Seekins if nothing else because I can get a truly unique configuration of my own. I know to some store bought may be the answer its just not the case for me this time.

After talking with 2 smiths now I have engraved in stone my decision. The gentlemen I chosen will start my build in 6 weeks. He has a Big Horn action on the shelf.

Thank you all for your advice and patience with a newbie.

I will post a new thread when it comes time to start selecting items for the build.

Matt

i myself would not get the creedmoor. my last 3 bucks were over 200 pounds after gutting. we have some very large tough bucks in indiana. lots of fences and private property also. the 6.5/284 would be a better choice in my opinion

We do have some nice deer here in the state. I have a wall devoted to them in my living room. All but one was taken less than 25 yards with archery equipment.
I have been hunting them for most of my life. As you probably know rifles are newly legal to the state and I have zero background hunting with a rifle. It's all been slug guns and muzzle loaders still now.

Matt,
Big Horn and Criterion are known names for quality. If your gunsmith spins it up right and does a great job with the bedding, it should shoot quite well. Congrats!

Having killed some of those big, tough Hoosier bucks myself, I wouldn't be worried about shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor (I used a 260) or even a 6 Creedmoor. My rifle of choice this season was a suppressed 243 with the 105 hybrid.

+1 on the 6.5 creedmoor. You won't meet a deer that will walk far after a well placed shot of a proper bullet

Matt,
Big Horn and Criterion are known names for quality. If your gunsmith spins it up right and does a great job with the bedding, it should shoot quite well. Congrats!

Having killed some of those big, tough Hoosier bucks myself, I wouldn't be worried about shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor (I used a 260) or even a 6 Creedmoor. My rifle of choice this season was a suppressed 243 with the 105 hybrid.

Just out of curiosity why suppressed?

I don't have any, because I don't have the money to throw out there in limbo for that long...And also, if I'm going to pay that much for something, I'm leaving the store with it right then (instant gratification), and also because I think it's absolutely retarded that the government is still allowed to regulate a muzzle device that doesn't actually make it silent, and is not actually a weapon itself. The NFA laws are WAY outdated and need to be revamped. But a complete de-reg probably won't happen, so at the very least, i'm still keeping my fingers crossed for the HPA or SHARE Act to pass in the next year. Then I'll pickup 1 or 5... :D

Also, with the new ATF clarification on us now being allowed to shoulder a pistol "brace" like a buttstock, they might as well just de-reg SBR's while they're revamping things. An SBR is still WAY bigger than a handgun, so it's not like a 10.5" barrel vs. a 16.1" barrel is really going to make it that much smaller to conceal...

Just my personal opinions.

Being in Mass it's okay for an illegal to to go to the dmv for a driver's lic or live in gov't housing here. It is not legal to sell an AR in a ffl shop or purchase a suppressor and not be a cop:(

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.