Is the 6.5 Creedmoor the best do it all cartridge ever

lee31

With all the 6.5 Creedmoor guys saying the 6.5 Creedmoor is the best thing since sliced bread I started to wonder if they are right. I mean now we have guys saying they can drive 147 bullets over 3000fps out of the Creedmoor. I mean what else can't this cartridge do? Pretty much better than any other 6.5mm cartridge ever. By the sounds of there is no need for the 6.5x55,260,6.5x284,6.5-06,264win mag and countless others. I mean all you need is a RPR,Athalon scope some factory ammo. And you should be set to kill anything from a prairie dog to a moose out to 1500 yards. On a serious note am I the only one getting sick of hearing about a cartridge that is no better than the 120 plus year old 6.5x55 Swede?

Disclaimer: I don't currently own a 6.5 Creedmoor but I get it's appeal.

I think price has a lot to do with the Creedmoors popularity. It's just plain affordable to shoot. Add in low recoil + every major manufacturer, even Remington, chambers a rifle in it.

Someone else comes out with a new cartridge and they want $3-$5 a round for factory ammo and it's nowhere to be found. Reloading components cost dang near as much as factory ammo and can't be found.

I bit on the recent mega thread. I am going to leave the subject alone in the future. The last Creedmoor thread had some good info unrelated to the debate of the awesomeness of the cartridge.

The spectrum of why someone would choose a creedmoor is very wide. Some are shooting a $500 factory rifle with cheap factory ammo that is performing better than the old standbys for deer sized game and that makes them very happy. Reminds me of the comments on the 308 win for years! On the farther end of the spectrum there is the full bore custom guy with a true custom rifle and the best reloading setup. It seems now with lapua brass in the mix, all ends of the spectrum can be pretty happy with a cartridge that is relatively low in recoil and fits a wide range of needs. Nothing magic but that's my take on it.

My example is I had a full custom built by pierce on a pierce action, proof barrel combo and using berger bullets and lapua brass it was the easiest load development I have ever had. 50 total rounds to go from nothing to tragectory validation. I hate to agree but it was VERY easy. I have loaded for 30-06, 25-06, 280ai, 7LRM, 243 win and now the 6.5 creedmoor. The creedmoor was by far the easiest.

My larger caliber hunting rifle build was not complete yet so I had to use my 6.5 creedmoor for all my hunting this fall. 2 coyotes, 2 antelope does, 1 whitetail doe, 1 elk all under 300 yards, an antelope buck at 530 yards and a very big bodied 5x5 Mule deer buck at 450. All were 1 shot kills other than the large Mule deer buck and the only reason for a second shot was he was close to a private land fence and I didn't want to take the chance of him going over the fence.

Everything was taken with the same load. Lapua 6.5 creedmoor brass, 43.1 gr of H4350, CCI BR4 primers and 140 gr berger Elite Hunter bullets. The only ones that even moved after being shot were a doe antelope shot behind the shoulder at 170 yards that ran surprisingly 80 yards and the buck Mule deer shot from 450 yard moved only 15 yard before I shot him again. That buck would have likely tipped over if I waited 3 more seconds!

I will preface my next comment with "I was as surprised as everyone else " when the load development and results were this easy. There is no cartridge that can do "everything for everybody" but I would say for the vast majority of North American hunters (especially because most don't hunt elk or larger animals) it's hard to argue that the 6.5 creedmoor is an excellent cartridge for their application!

Without doubt it was. But now we have the 6.5 PRC to contemplate.

I imagine there's going to be a a couple of production rifles introduced at SHOT Show 2018 in this cartridge. A few customs options available. Ammo and components are already being sold.

I expect to see threads about $500 Ruger Americans, Vortex Scopes, $26/box ammo, 1/2" groups.

I imagine there's going to be a a couple of production rifles introduced at SHOT Show 2018 in this cartridge. A few customs options available. Ammo and components are already being sold.

I expect to see threads about $500 Ruger Americans, Vortex Scopes, $26/box ammo, 1/2" groups.
lol don't forget the Athalon Chinese made scopes that are as good or better than many 1500 dollar optics.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.