Best off the shelf 6.5 Creedmoor?

I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM. It shoots Hornady 143 gr. ELD-X hunting bullets into 3.4 MOA all the time. I put a SWFA 3 - 15 x42 scope on it (mil/mil, FFP).

Recently I upgraded it with a Boyd's Classic laminated stock and Timney trigger. Haven't had the weather to go to the range and try it again but hoping this week sometime. Should shoot even better with that fantastic trigger.

The Boyd's stock is SO **** well made I was surprised. And the optional scale checkering I got is amazingly precise. It's laser engraved but looks hand engraved by an expert, a very expensive expert.
** BTW, I'll put the plastic factory stock back on to go backpack hunting B/C it's 1 lb. lighter than the laminated stock. "I may be crazy but I ain't stupid."

Yes, the $680.Tikka T3 rifles are nice but mine, with upgrades is $559. (scope & rings not included)

Eric B.

I also have a RAP. I picked the rifle up for $340 last year. I unboxed it, lightened the factory trigger and slapped a scope on it. It shoots 120 AMAX's 3/4 MOA all day. One heck of a budget coyote, deer rig.

I got a Savage 10 T at cabelas back in August, put a vortex viper HST on it. Like it a lot but it's heavy. Been thinking about something lighter in the creedmoor.

Do you recall which model stock that is? The Boyds I saw were regular hunting wood stocks. Like the look of that grip angle and stock. Sorry for the derail...

It's the ProVarmint, Boyds doesn't list it for the Predator, but a little milling out of the safety area and barrel channel and I had it roughed in ready to bed in about a hour..

What Barrelnut said. Savage light weight hunter if you are wanting a really light rifle for backpack hunting. I have two friends that have them and love them for when we are packing miles on a pack hunt and hiking up and down canyons.

Other good choices would be the Tikka T3x Lite weighing 6.5 pounds I think.

I got a Boyd's Classic stock for my RAP.

It has a very high comb that barely clears the bolt but that's goof B/C it puts my cheek at the best position for keeping my eye centered on the scope.

Plus with little drop to the comb the stock angle is not going to induce much muzzle lift on recoil.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.