Is the 6.5 Creedmoor the best do it all cartridge ever

Indeed. And I also blame Hollywood for the AR craze we've seen in the last 2 decades. Come on, we had ARs available since the late 1960s, but most of us shooters were not obsessed with them the way we see younger shooters are today. When I go to the range, over 50% of guys are shooting ARs, and shooting them relatively fast. Sometimes I find it obnoxious. It's like, give them their own section of the range. I may get flamed for saying this but it seems a little juvenile to me. Might as well be shooting off fireworks. If you take the time to be a good marksman with a bolt, you can shoot an AR semi-rapid fire better than most AR enthusiasts, so they are not really practicing for anything. If you want to practice shooting rapidly from the waist, a 10/22 will do.
I actually own several AR's. They are awfully handy for things like coyotes and pigs where you will likely need to engage multiple moving/running targets in a very short period of time.

They are also fantastic for kids and small women, particularly in something like the S&w M&P 15 with a good three or four position adjustable stock.

Mario and the kids were up this week hunting at my place and his oldest who is ten and not particularly large for his age found the full sized rifles a bit more than he could shoot comfortably but I gave him the M&P with the stock fully collapsed and it fit him like a glove.

I have a Sig 516 that is a daily carry AR for me specifically for pigs and coyotes and "just in case" it's needed as well but if it's a single target any further out than 200yds there's also going to be a .260, 300wm or Rum, 7mm STW, and or .375 Ruger in reach as well along with at least one handgun as long as I'm in the truck.

There's no way around it though, shooting the AR's and shooting them fast is just way too tempting and absolutely addictive. Just never "upgrade" to the binary trigger though or you'll find yourself burning through an embarrassing amount of ammo in a hurry!

Now if I could just get either an M1A or Sig piston AR like the 516/716's in .260 I'd probably have to have at least one or two of those as well.

I like them all for different applications but without a doubt when it comes to precision LR shooting, give me a bolt gun, preferably a M70 Winchester or Clone like the Montana M1999.

I have a high end M70 Custom in 375 with a 26" Bartlein 5R fluted barrel w/barrel ring sling stud and a V2 M1999 with a heavy 24" barrel and even though there's probably more than a thousand dollars difference in the cost brand new between them I'd be hard pressed to pick between them for accuracy and overall enjoyment. The M70 is about 2lbs lighter though so for long walks it definitely gets the edge. I fired the first two shots out of it this weekend on Game and put two devastating (both fatal) shots into a very large running boar with it with the second being at over 400yds. The first shot was fatal but he wasn't ready to go down yet, the second entered mid rib and spined him right between the shoulders and planted him hard.

I have a tendency to just pick one or two calibers and shoot them at everything each year so next year may be the year of the .260 and .375R. The .375's will beat on you doing any kind of high volume shooting but man, that 4000-4500+lbs of energy at the muzzle does impressive things on large/dangerous game!

If I lived in deer/elk country and was on a tight to moderate budget I think my total arsenal of hunting rifles would complete with a .260 and .375 R.

Shootin4fun,

Very nice. How does it do if you fire ten shots at one group?

Thanks Rich. I don't typically shoot 10 into one group. I would actually loose data because in the expanded hole I can't tell how many are in which position. I often shoot 5 into successive groups though. Center POI does not shift between groups. The hole gets more ragged and expands to .25 center to center, but I assume that's me, not the gun or load.

More importantly I want to get back to my 600 yard range, but it's been closed for a few months while they make changes. As you can see, my ES and SDs are not fantastic but I don't fully trust my Pro Chrony so distance will help with understanding the ES. We have berms every 100 yards out to 600 which is great for calculating drop and seeing the effects of wind. We can drive our vehicles to the targets which makes it really convenient.

Its not the best, but it certainly can do the job well. Shot doe at 570yds Saturday morning. 142gr Accubond LR. DRT!

I don't get all the folks saying they are leaving the sight because they cant stand another 6.5 creed thread. I think there is lot's of good posts on the site, and really how hard is it to avoid a thread like this that clearly states what it's about in title?

The 30 - 06 Will be my most versatile gun until they pry my cold dead fingers from around the trigger. Happy new year to all!

While am not likely to ever forsake my 6.5x284's that I've been addicted to for well over a decade , I can see the all the hoopla over the 6.5 Creedmoor. I had decided a while back to try out the PRS game so I picked up a Ruger Precidion Rifle in 6.5CM. A buddy said it was a cheap and easy way to get into the game, and that his rifle was quite a shooter. I have to say that with no effort my rifle with handloads shoots right along with my best customs, and is very close with factory ammo. I'm probably more impressed with the Ruger PR. I must say it is a cinch to bang 8" Steel targets out past 1000 yards all afternoon. While have since evolved my PRS rifle to a 6.5x47, I can't help liking the 6.5CM. Shown: Factory ELDM and handload
C663CD3E-4B31-4F98-BB0D-9BB33258B69D.jpeg
5B5E93C3-483B-43C4-9F9B-9C4253F9C990.jpeg

While am not likely to ever forsake my 6.5x284's that I've been addicted to for well over a decade , I can see the all the hoopla over the 6.5 Creedmoor. I had decided a while back to try out the PRS game so I picked up a Ruger Precidion Rifle in 6.5CM. A buddy said it was a cheap and easy way to get into the game, and that his rifle was quite a shooter. I have to say that with no effort my rifle with handloads shoots right along with my best customs, and is very close with factory ammo. I'm probably more impressed with the Ruger PR. I must say it is a cinch to bang 8" Steel targets out past 1000 yards all afternoon. While have since evolved my PRS rifle to a 6.5x47, I can't help liking the 6.5CM. Shown: Factory ELDM and handloadView attachment 87282View attachment 87283
Greyfox, great shooting, and it seems like I see targets like that more and more often.
In the big picture, we need continued shooters, and this caliber seems to interest alot of age groups, and its a good thing. Nay Sayers, yay sayers, whatever. Those are great targets, you are a great shooter, nuff said. Its a good thing!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.