Is the 6.5 Creedmoor the best do it all cartridge ever

As long as you are able to decipher the BS part, you should be OK. I met a friend of a friend claiming he's been shooting coyotes with his 6.5 CM at 1100 yards. Whe I asked what kind of rangefinder he's been using, he said he does not own one ... I just smiled and moved on.

Thats probably the guy getting 3000ft/sec out of 147's

According to cabelas the Creed is saleing more right now by itself than all others calibers combined. Thats pretty popular.

With all the 6.5 Creedmoor guys saying the 6.5 Creedmoor is the best thing since sliced bread I started to wonder if they are right. I mean now we have guys saying they can drive 147 bullets over 3000fps out of the Creedmoor. I mean what else can't this cartridge do? Pretty much better than any other 6.5mm cartridge ever. By the sounds of there is no need for the 6.5x55,260,6.5x284,6.5-06,264win mag and countless others. I mean all you need is a RPR,Athalon scope some factory ammo. And you should be set to kill anything from a prairie dog to a moose out to 1500 yards. On a serious note am I the only one getting sick of hearing about a cartridge that is no better than the 120 plus year old 6.5x55 Swede?

This is an old question that will never be answered because, There is no one "Best" cartridge for everything (Hunting and shooting) because of the needs for different cartridges for the many different uses.

If someone wants to take on a Brown bear with a 6.5 they must be fearless, if they want to take on a lion with it they are fearless or Stupid. If they want to hunt squirrels with one I hope they are not hungry. And if they want to hunt Elk with a 6.5 Creedmoor at 1500 yards, I hope they can track for miles. And if you want to hunt with a 577 for dangerous game, don't plan on 1500 yard shots.

Just saying, NO 1 Cartridge will do everything. Never ask a cartridge to do what it was not intended to do. That is a fools mission. I also think we should move on to another cartridge that will do every thing Like the Eargesplitten Lowdenboomer.:D

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
This is an old question that will never be answered because, There is no one "Best" cartridge for everything (Hunting and shooting) because of the needs for different cartridges for the many different uses.

If someone wants to take on a Brown bear with a 6.5 they must be fearless, if they want to take on a lion with it they are fearless or Stupid. If they want to hunt squirrels with one I hope they are not hungry. And if they want to hunt Elk with a 6.5 Creedmoor at 1500 yards, I hope they can track for miles. And if you want to hunt with a 577 for dangerous game, don't plan on 1500 yard shots.

Just saying, NO 1 Cartridge will do everything. Never ask a cartridge to do what it was not intended to do. That is a fools mission. I also think we should move on to another cartridge that will do every thing Like the Eargesplitten Lowdenboomer.:D

J E CUSTOM
I'll take one of those !
Gregg

Yep it's probably faster than a 264win and 26 Nosler but with the barrel life of a 308
As if CM hasn't been bad enough, I expect to hear many many many of those types of exaggerations after SHOT 2018 when the 6.5 PRC gets released. Next we will be hearing that it kills, cleans, cooks, and puts the animal on the plate just by pulling the trigger. :rolleyes:

I anticipate many seriously next level BS 6.5 PRC thread conversations in our future. :cool:

Last edited:
I can't take the bashing anymore. I'm afraid to say I have a Savage Creed that I haves couple thousand dollars sunk into. I think I'm going to rebarrel my Creed to something like a 6.5x22-250AI.
Let them bash. They're just as bad if not worse than the supporters. Shoot it with pride my friend. They clearly have nothing else better to do. It's become the "cool" thing to do lately. Bash a rifle cartridge. They just need to get over themselves and be the better "men" (I use that term loosely) than the fan boys.

The current 6.5 CM wave reminds me of another hammer- marketing strategy that I was personally affected by. A number of years ago, I had a Ruger No1 in 416RM that I had bought for my 40th birthday present. For what I wanted, tho it took some time to learn it, it sucked. Ballistically, it was a turd. So I decided to rebarrel in some thing else. An acquaintance suggested the 338 Lapua, he being a recent veteran. So I researched it, and liked what I saw, and ordered a 338 1in10 barrel from Lilja, extra long , tapered to match the 416 barrel. Well, some time passed, I got the barrel, and FINALLY went searching for components. Brass was non existent, and at $125 for a box of 20, I felt it to be unobtainable. Well, crap, now what ? I already have a .338 barrel, what to do? More research uncovered the 338/378 Weatherby. At 200fps faster, it was enticing. With brass readily available nearly every where and literally 1/2 the cost, it became exciting ! So that is what I built. Some more time passes, I get to lurking in this forum, and I learn that Lapua has absolutely FLOODED the market with brass. And every body is talking about it. 338 Lapua , the cartridge that does it all ! Makes girls sceam, grown women moan, horses taller and faster, politicians honest, and men...well if you owned one, you'd know ! There for awhile, I just hated the very word Lapua. Lepooa. Now, the brass situation has flipflopped. 338 Lapua brass is EVERYWHERE, and its almost down to 1/2 the cost of Weatherby, which has gone up by 50 percent.
I've calmed down about it, and come to realize the the 338 Lapua IS a fine cartridge. BUT.....It is still slower than my WBY. HA!!! Take that, you marketing weenies!
Thanks for listening Gentlefolk. And remember, the 6.5 Creedmore Craze ? Something else will come along soon enough for some folks to go agog over and others to hate on ! And the rest of us to laugh at.
Gregg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.