Mountain/Do-it-all rifle build suggestions.

@ Wby Fan - How does it shoot? MOA or better? Load?
Which Rifle ?

Your...
Ok just for you lefty's, I just had this built as a gift for a great friend,
30-06
1991 LH Rem 700 action
Rem stock bottom metal
23" #2 Benchmark non fluted
LH Grayboe Outlander stock
Talleys holding a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS 30mm

@ Wby Fan - How does it shoot? MOA or better? Load?

Your...
Ok just for you lefty's, I just had this built as a gift for a great friend,
30-06
1991 LH Rem 700 action
Rem stock bottom metal
23" #2 Benchmark non fluted
LH Grayboe Outlander stock
Talleys holding a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS 30mm

Well the first time I had it out it shot horrible with 4 different factory loads, everything was 1.5" to 3" groups and one bigger, Ive never had an aftermarket barrel shoot this bad, changed scopes same thing, the groups were jumping back and forth, my gunsmith says thats bedding, back to the gunsmith so he rebedded it and put a kevlar cross brace in between the trigger and mag box as the stock was just wide open, I actually though it was a bad barrel so he scoped it also and it was clean and smooth, no issues.
I never hand loaded for it as this gun is gift for a fellow that a slightly handicapped and is not able to hand load

Next time out it shot very well with 3 different factory loads

Federal Premium 180gr Trophy Bonded Tips

The centre is Nosler Trophy Grade 165gr Accubonds
the bottom right is Barnes 168gr TTSX

Last edited:
Well the first time I had it out it shot horrible with 4 different factory loads, everything was 1.5" to 3" groups and one bigger, Ive never had an aftermarket barrel shoot this bad, changed scopes same thing, the groups were jumping back and forth, my gunsmith says thats bedding, back to the gunsmith so he rebedded it and put a kevlar cross brace in between the trigger and mag box as the stock was just wide open, I actually though it was a bad barrel so he scoped it also and it was clean and smooth, no issues.
I never hand loaded for it as this gun is gift for a fellow that a slightly handicapped and is not able to hand load

Next time out it shot very well with 3 different factory loads

Federal Premium 180gr Trophy Bonded Tips

The centre is Nosler Trophy Grade 165gr Accubonds
the bottom right is Barnes 168gr TTSX

That Nosler Trophy grade group is impressive...i would shoot that over handload if it wasn't so expensive. $3 per shot at my local sporting goods store.

Nice,
it looks like your flutes are much deeper and wider than on my rifles.
How does it shoot?

I could not get a five shot group without a flier. So I loaded five .010" shorter and five .010" longer. Apparently this barrel is a little fussy. The group on the right is longer and the first group without a flier.
2019-01-24 15.56.44.jpg

I could not get a five shot group without a flier. So I loaded five .010" shorter and five .010" longer. Apparently this barrel is a little fussy. The group on the right is longer and the first group without a flier.View attachment 122006
I wonder if the aggressive fluting may have an effect..
I know my barrel manufacturer wouldn't flute that deep or wide.

Decided to build myself a nice do-it-all (except bigger bears and moose) rifle. Planning to use it for antelope and whitetail every year and muleys, elk, goats, and sheep when I draw tags in my state plus any guided hunts I go on in the future. Trying to get as close to 8lbs scoped and ready to go and not exceed 9lbs. I have a build in mind, was hoping some of you with more experience could look at and see how correct I am with estimated weights and offer any suggestions if you see holes in the planned build. I am hoping to order everything this week or next week. Thanks again.

>> NSS Remington 700 left hand LA trued reciever-------------- 39oz
>>Remington ADL mag box, mag spring, and follower----------- 1oz
>>Sin Arms (Local to me) bolt fluting and threading service---- (-2oz)
>>Tactical Werks oversized carbon fiber bolt know-------------- (-1oz)
>>Pac-Nor Rem/Age #2 Super Match barrel 24" 280A.I. -------- 53oz
>>Pac-Nor fluting and muzzle threading service ------------- --- (-8oz)
>>APA Micro Bastard gen 2 ---------------------------------------- 1.8oz
>>Manners MCS-EH2 left hand carbon fiber stock ---------------- 28oz
>>Manners 9/16" pillars, 2 flush cups, and 3 sling studs --------- 2oz
>>Leupold VX-3i LRP 4.5-14x50 FFP scope w/ CCH reticle ------- 22.4oz
>>Hawkins Precision 25MOA rings ------------------------------- -- 3.5oz
>>Bedding service, barreled receiver cerakote, stock hydrodip --- 1oz?

Total build weight looks like 140.7oz or 8.8lbs. Looking at similar builds on here it appears my rifle is almost a pound heavier than I would expect it to be just comparing to others. Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Decided to build myself a nice do-it-all (except bigger bears and moose) rifle. Planning to use it for antelope and whitetail every year and muleys, elk, goats, and sheep when I draw tags in my state plus any guided hunts I go on in the future. Trying to get as close to 8lbs scoped and ready to go and not exceed 9lbs. I have a build in mind, was hoping some of you with more experience could look at and see how correct I am with estimated weights and offer any suggestions if you see holes in the planned build. I am hoping to order everything this week or next week. Thanks again.

>> NSS Remington 700 left hand LA trued reciever-------------- 39oz
>>Remington ADL mag box, mag spring, and follower----------- 1oz
>>Sin Arms (Local to me) bolt fluting and threading service---- (-2oz)
>>Tactical Werks oversized carbon fiber bolt know-------------- (-1oz)
>>Pac-Nor Rem/Age #2 Super Match barrel 24" 280A.I. -------- 53oz
>>Pac-Nor fluting and muzzle threading service ------------- --- (-8oz)
>>APA Micro Bastard gen 2 ---------------------------------------- 1.8oz
>>Manners MCS-EH2 left hand carbon fiber stock ---------------- 28oz
>>Manners 9/16" pillars, 2 flush cups, and 3 sling studs --------- 2oz
>>Leupold VX-3i LRP 4.5-14x50 FFP scope w/ CCH reticle ------- 22.4oz
>>Hawkins Precision 25MOA rings ------------------------------- -- 3.5oz
>>Bedding service, barreled receiver cerakote, stock hydrodip --- 1oz?

Total build weight looks like 140.7oz or 8.8lbs. Looking at similar builds on here it appears my rifle is almost a pound heavier than I would expect it to be just comparing to others. Any and all thoughts are welcome.
Why not a 270 AI?

gosh build it it in 6.5 creedmore the new wonder cartridge, have you not heard it can kill bull Elk at 1775 yds, surely it would also work on moose and bears! LOL.

Just kidding of course. Sounds like a great project, good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.